Best Iowa State point guard

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
With Tamin entering the ranks. I still think Tinsley is the best ever while at Iowa State. Haliburton will obviously be the all time best Cyclone. This Tinsley dribbling highlight is still one of the best ever plays at Iowa State

I think it’s a debate w Monte and Tinsley. Monte’s career #s hold up to any Big 12 player, not just ISU and not just pgs. Tinsley had the most dominant 2 year run of any Cyclone.

Tinsley is a player you had to really see play to understand how he controlled a game. So many times he’d get a steal and basket exactly when needed.

Tyrese is one of the top 2-3 American born basketball players (any position) in this moment. My top four actually foreign players.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I think it’s a debate w Monte and Tinsley. Monte’s career #s hold up to any Big 12 player, not just ISU and not just pgs. Tinsley had the most dominant 2 year run of any Cyclone.

Tinsley is a player you had to really see play to understand how he controlled a game. So many times he’d get a steal and basket exactly when needed.

Tyrese is one of the top 2-3 American born basketball players (any position) in this moment. My top four actually foreign players.

Monte had a bigger body of work here but Tinsley just down right dominated the Big 12. I’ll go Tinsley all day. That takes nothing away from Monte though

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Monte had a bigger body of work here but Tinsley just down right dominated the Big 12. I’ll go Tinsley all day. That takes nothing away from Monte though

4 years of nearly mistake free point guard play is no small achievement. He made Prohm look like a great coach for a year, most of us could’ve coached a senior Monte team.

I go back and forth. I definitely think Tinsley was our most dominant player but starting an extra 50ish games means something. Tyrese and Fizer probably our most pure talent.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
People only remember the good things Tinsley did at ISU. He averaged 6 assists but over 4 TO per game. His FG% was below 40%. He played for the most talented teams in ISU history but his numbers are not as good as Hornacek, Morris, and Haliburton

Shead at Houston reminds me of a better shooting Tinsley. You have to watch his games to see him control it. A lot of his box scores are nothing great.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
People only remember the good things Tinsley did at ISU. He averaged 6 assists but over 4 TO per game. His FG% was below 40%. He played for the most talented teams in ISU history but his numbers are not as good as Hornacek, Morris, and Haliburton

The backcourts were deep and Fizer was just not fair for most college players to defend.

Bubbahotep

Jul 23, 2008
Des Moines
The thing about Tinsley, he was a savant with the ball, he did things that only Jason Williams could do, he was a show all to himself, so yeah, from a team perspective, I would rank him way below Monte and Tyrese, but from a pure skill perspective, he was a freak with no equal.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
4 years of nearly mistake free point guard play is no small achievement. He made Prohm look like a great coach for a year, most of us could’ve coached a senior Monte team.

I go back and forth. I definitely think Tinsley was our most dominant player but starting an extra 50ish games means something. Tyrese and Fizer probably our most pure talent.

Tinsley also made about 4 players a game look completely stupid . Haha.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Here's a list in no particular order.

Haliburton
Tinsley
Morris
Kane
Hornacek
Blaylock
Garrett
Willoughby

Might have missed some. Pretty heady space. Lipsey might end up there but to say he's cracks this list at all at this point of his career I think we are getting a little ahead of ourselves. He does have the potential to be there though. Not at this time, and I'm a huge Tamin fan.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Here's a list in no particular order.

Haliburton
Tinsley
Morris
Kane
Hornacek
Blaylock
Garrett
Willoughby

Might have missed some. Pretty heady space. Lipsey might end up there but to say he's cracks this list at all at this point of his career I think we are getting a little ahead of ourselves. He does have the potential to be there though. Not at this time, and I'm a huge Tamin fan.
Willoughby wasnt a PG.