*** Official #8 Kansas vs #13 IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

HoustonClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
You keep bringing up points that are irrelevant and misrepresentative of everything I said.

Contrary to popular opinion, I think this team has the pieces to do damage and make an Elite 8 run (ultimately I think the lack of a true go to scorer will bite us). With that said we don't have the luxury of making self-inflictef mistakes, and that starts with rotations.

BRE is the worst player who gets significant Big 12 minutes. It's not even close really. While it didn't impact the game significantly today it WILL impact a tournament game if it continues. The frustrating part is we don't NEED him to play these minutes. King can play the 5 and even Watson is a much better defender and transition player. Once Kunc gete his lungs back, BRE should be next to Hawley on the bench. Why? Because the eye test and metrics tell us BRE is a terrible player.

I don't know about you but I want this team to succeed. I'm just realistic in acknowledging making large, indefensible errors with minutes is difficult to overcome in this conference. Especially on the road.

Glad you posted this. I didn’t hear you the first 20 times you said the same thing.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
I think you will see Bob's minutes decrease but today Kunz and King each picked up four fouls. This was the very first game both were available at the same time.

King still lags on the defensive end. He gave up a wide open three to Wilson around the 15min mark in first half, looked over at the bench and point at his chest seemingly saying 'thats on me' and then the very next trip down the floor gave up a second wide open look to Wilson that fortunately missed the mark. He was then pulled from the game and received some sideline coaching.

Kansas had several wide open 3s today and missed most of them. Our defense has, at times, retreated too close to the box and our close outs have been tardy. The one exception has been Grill (when his back has allowed). It's funny King gets yanked for mistakes but BRE can flub for 5 minutes and stay in the game.

FYI King only had 2 fouls. OSun was the other one who had 4 but it had a negligible impact on his minutes as I think 3 came in the second half. In other words (which I don't agree with BTW) he was probablu ending up with 23ish minutes regardless.

• Dumb
  • Haha
Reactions: Ozclone and JCity

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Jone is shooting 47%, not great but not terrible either. Every big man misses easy layups not just Jones

Nobody misses them as routinely as he does. His 2 buckets BTW, were 2 of the easiest baskets we had all game, coming off great feeds.

• Dumb
Reactions: JCity

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
I think the fact that we are a team with 5-6 Betas is what makes us dangerous. Kansas was a team with a clear Alpha and despite "getting his" today, the rest of the team really struggled and often deferred to him.

When we need a basket, who do we give the ball to? We simply lack a player who will go out and get us buckets. It's not just the player we lack, but the mentality (give me the ball I'm scoring this thing).

We'll see as there is still time. Maybe somebody (likely Gabe) shows us some of that killer instinct down the stretch. I just don't think we have a natural for it.

NebrClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Tell me why Rob should play this much when he's tied with Eli King and Conrad Hawley with 0.0 WS in conference this year without a ****** appeal to authority.

I have come around on TJ and love so much of what he's done, but that's a very questionable decision.
Because TJ wants him to.

Reactions: Ozclone

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
King: 5-7, 10 points, 1 ORB, 4 DRB in 16 minutes.
BRE: 2-7, 2 boards, in 17 minutes.

Regardless of the win this kind of line can"t keep happening. It has and will continue to cost us games.
How many of King’s minutes were as the 5?

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
jayhawk-crying-baby.gif

The world is a better place when Jayhawks cry.

Clonefan420

Jan 30, 2023
King: 5-7, 10 points, 1 ORB, 4 DRB in 16 minutes.
BRE: 2-7, 2 boards, in 17 minutes.

Regardless of the win this kind of line can"t keep happening. It has and will continue to cost us games.
Those two baskets came in transition too. Jones can’t score when posting up

Reactions: isutrevman

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
View attachment 109226 vs View attachment 109227

#8 Kansas (18-4, 6-3 BIG 12)
#13 IOWA STATE (15-6, 6-3 BIG 12)
SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 4TH 11:00 A.M. CST
HILTON COLISEUM / AMES, IA

TV: ESPN
Talent: Rich Hollenberg, pxp Fran Fraschilla, analyst

Radio: Cyclone Radio Network (Varsity Network)
CRN Talent: John Walters (pxp); Eric Heft (analyst)
Good Guys 68-53!

That's my prediction. Haha, I should stay away more often.

Great game Cyclones!!!

Reactions: ISUChippewa

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Those two baskets came in transition too. Jones can’t score when posting up

I'm not sure I've ever seen a player in recent seasons receive the level of attention on this forum that Rob Jones gets after either a win or loss, especially in comparison to his level of impact on the game, whether good or bad. It's really almost fascinating.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
No, Bob should not a 17-minute player but there is a reason he gets those minutes. One is personnel, who is the next five up? Bob is value added on the defensive end despite his pitfalls on the offensive end (4 misses at the hoop today).

The other reason is because Shoon is not a 30-minute player in our defensive style in the big12 across a 35 game season. If he were able to maintain the intensity required and simultaneously stay out of foul trouble then his minutes would rise. What he did at st bonaventure is irrelevant because of the style of defense he was in (sit and swat) and the number of power five opponents he saw week in and out.

See reason 1 why Bob is getting those minutes.
I’d have to go back and watch, but Jones gets a lot of attention on his misses and we got offensive boards on a couple of them.

3s of an offensive rebound are the easiest looks you’ll get, which Holmes knocked down 2 on.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I'm not sure I've ever seen a player in recent seasons receive the level of attention on this forum that Rob Jones gets after either a win or loss, especially in comparison to his level of impact on the game, whether good or bad. It's really almost fascinating.
I feel like there is always a player that gets selected as the fanbase whipping boy. Last year it was Gabe. This year it's Rob.

Clone95

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 13, 2019
That was fun. It’s funny, the headline on cbssports is “ISU dominates sliding Kansas”. All week the headlines were: KU is back on track and going to win the Big 12.

All our players made positive contributions and the coaches made great decisions.