*** Official #8 Kansas vs #13 IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
Wooden did say this,
"Stay the course. When thwarted try again; harder; smarter. Persevere relentlessly." 4 outta 5 ain't bad.
Wooden might have ran the dirtiest program in college basketball history. Please don't quote him. He was an average coach before he started cheating.

• Informative
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
Kansas just beat Texas - Iowa State is tied with Texas for first!!
Tyrese with just 6 points. He's down to a 10 ppg avg now shooting a horrific 38 percent. He's just not that good offensively. Definitely not worth 500k.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Wilson only scored 2 points in this game today! Surprising that they still won.
I watched the game. Self finally got the balanced scoring he was looking for. He just didn't think it would come by his star essentially being shut out.

I felt dirty hoping Kansas would win. But I looked at it as a win/win. If Kansas won, ISU would be back in first. If Texas won it would put Kansas in real trouble as far as the conference race went - not dead but certainly in a bind. I guess I love ISU more than I hate KU. Who knew?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
On the one hand it appeared that Gradey D. finally shot himself out of his slump. On the other hand he had some very freshman like fouls in the closing minutes of the game when Texas was desperately trying to close the gap including one that I think was called on Joe T. but it appeared Gradey both fouled the 3 point shooter and pushed Joe into him.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I know we had 2 and I want to say 3 broken plays that ended up with us hitting a 3 at the end of them.

A big 3 from Gabe in the first half came off of Osun losing the ball in traffic.

That's not the first time that kind of thing has happened, and again, that goes with basketball, but it's interesting there's no threads about it.

(there shouldn't be any threads about it fwiw)

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I watched the game. Self finally got the balanced scoring he was looking for. He just didn't think it would come by his star essentially being shut out.

I felt dirty hoping Kansas would win. But I looked at it as a win/win. If Kansas won, ISU would be back in first. If Texas won it would put Kansas in real trouble as far as the conference race went - not dead but certainly in a bind. I guess I love ISU more than I hate KU. Who knew?
I'm curious if our strategy centered around a solid base defense rather than changing it up to worry about Wilson vs UT centering their strategy around locking him down and making the others beat them?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I'm curious if our strategy centered around a solid base defense rather than changing it up to worry about Wilson vs UT centering their strategy around locking him down and making the others beat them?
I think the extent of ISU changing it up was generally putting our best (and the league's best) perimeter defender on him. Slow him down, he'll still get his but make sure you are solid with everyone else.

I think you are right and it is part of TJ's philosophy. We practice what we do and we make solid habits. He is going to worry about Iowa State and not about the opponent. Repetition. Execution. They are going to play best doing what they always practice rather than trying to do some junk defense or changing how they defend for a particular opponent. It is a great idea but probably won't beat teams that are head and shoulders better than you, but junk defenses are probably doomed to failure in those instances anyway.

Reactions: Cyclonepride