*** Official #8 Kansas vs #13 IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Can you post a real time tracker so TJ, the coaches and fans can better track how we are managing flow? I am very simple minded and I'll I could see was we were up by 5, then by 10, then by 15, then by 18. It was rather advance analysis but I think it was a good thing - maybe even a good flow thing? when the closed to 5 and we immediately pushed back out to 10. But obviously I am missing something.

I am really excited to learn how this works though because if we can get your keen understanding of this flow thing transferred to the team, we should be winning games like this by 30 I am guessing.?

You again fail to address my points. Was Osun visibly tired at the 16:30 mark? Do you agree with arbitrarily taking a player out at a predetermined time or whistle, as has happened in most games? Do you think that, if you want a player to be able to play 30 minutes, you have to teach that player to play through some adversity and stretch those minutes over time?

This isn't a freshman, but 5th year guy who averaged 30+ minutes the last two seasons. He also plays the least demanding position in this offense/defense. Can't wait for your response.

CyNews

Mar 19, 2021
This has been covered numerous times. Again the three points I will make is a) he wasn't tired at that particular juncture b) he was dominating c) mentally conditioning a player to expect being taken out isn't beneficial and hurts the ability to stretch his minutes over time. Basically Osun has been placated all season, often being put on a scripted break schedule. While fouls were an issue earlier they haven't been lately. So why take a player out who's been effective after 3 and a half ******* minutes of basketball?

At some point we need to show we can make decisions based on the flow of the game rather than some preconceived script.
Great win and man,you are insufferable right now.

CyNews

Mar 19, 2021
King: 5-7, 10 points, 1 ORB, 4 DRB in 16 minutes.
BRE: 2-7, 2 boards, in 17 minutes.

Regardless of the win this kind of line can"t keep happening. It has and will continue to cost us games.
Do you ever watch screens,etc.? Good grief.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
You again fail to address my points. Was Osun visibly tired at the 16:30 mark? Do you agree with arbitrarily taking a player out at a predetermined time or whistle, as has happened in most games? Do you think that, if you want a player to be able to play 30 minutes, you have to teach that player to play through some adversity and stretch those minutes over time?

This isn't a freshman, but 5th year guy who averaged 30+ minutes the last two seasons. He also plays the least demanding position in this offense/defense. Can't wait for your response.
The ability to recover and continue to perform after bursts of energy expenditure cycled with moments of rest is far greater over a forty minute game than wiping a guy out for say 6-8 minutes of extended play and hoping he bounces back to a similar level. Also, the performance at the end of that extended stretch will be dissipating while also leaving an essential player more prone to committing fouls.

These are just a couple reasons nearly every single team in NCAA and professional basketball utilize a rotation.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO

I try to address your points but man, they are really advanced. Sorry if I can't talk at your level.

Maybe a few questions to help me understand -

1) So TJ is doing these 'arbitrary' things. I am surprised, I didn't realize coaches at this level just pulled things out of their ass (no offense Fran). Why do you think TJ reverts to arbitrary knee jerk decisions?

2) I know TJ has a lot of weaknesses but this concept of a predetermined whistle is something new to me. I hope this isn't TJ doing something nefarious and scheduling whistles with the refs ahead of time! Or do you think he has the players commit a foul at a certain time so he can stay in adherence to his arbitrary player rotation?

3) I am really excited to learn more about getting the players to play through some adversity better. I think ( and again, take it slow with me here) you mean that if they are tired they should just play harder and play through it. I find this kind of interesting and maybe it is different for basketball - I apologize, I am more of an endurance athlete -So like when I am running a 10k and I can't get a 5K pace, I should just run harder? The fact I can't run my 10K at same pace as my 5k is really my lack of dedication? Osun not being able to play for 35 minutes at the same pace and intensity as he does for 20 min is because, well, maybe he is lazy?

4) Demanding positions - again, help educate me here. What is the International Scale for Demand on BasketBall Team Position scale? I am fascinated to learn on a team, that freely switches out on defense as ISU does, how it is less demanding for the 5 to guard Jalen Wilson or Grady **** than for the 1 to guard them? Or Vice Versa?

So bring me up to speed on those points and I will try to raise my basketball conversation to the truly impressive, insightful level you are at.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
This has been covered numerous times. Again the three points I will make is a) he wasn't tired at that particular juncture b) he was dominating c) mentally conditioning a player to expect being taken out isn't beneficial and hurts the ability to stretch his minutes over time. Basically Osun has been placated all season, often being put on a scripted break schedule. While fouls were an issue earlier they haven't been lately. So why take a player out who's been effective after 3 and a half ******* minutes of basketball?

At some point we need to show we can make decisions based on the flow of the game rather than some preconceived script.
I wouldn’t say the fact you have repeated yourself over and over constitutes it being covered several times.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
I wouldn’t say the fact you have repeated yourself over and over constitutes it being covered several times.
Once again, you have failed to address his point despite him repeatedly repeating himself.

I am reluctant to suggest this but you may be, like me, basketball illiterate. But I suspect he is going to point that out to you shortly.

Reactions: JCity

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Do you ever watch screens,etc.? Good grief.

You mean the ones where BRE chucks his knee out?

Get out of here with this nonsense. Now the BRE love mob is using ****** screens to justify his presence. Lololololololo

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO

Get out of here with this nonsense. Now the BRE love mob is using ****** screens to justify his presence. Lololololololo
Yea, like the absolutely beautiful screen he set for Lipsey to drive to the basket unimpeded in the last few minutes.

Damn right that is what we are gushing about and what BRE brings to every game.

But you have buried your head so far up your BRE Hating ass you can't back off now

So go ahead and keep bringing your Cyclone demeaning blather. It is fun, albeit not terribly challenging, exposing it.

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
King: 5-7, 10 points, 1 ORB, 4 DRB in 16 minutes.
BRE: 2-7, 2 boards, in 17 minutes.

Regardless of the win this kind of line can"t keep happening. It has and will continue to cost us games.
Yeah. It really cost us in the game today.

You need to worry about something else here.

We're a game out of 1st place (soon to be tied after KU takes care of Texas Mon.) and it's Feb 4th.

I think I'd give TJ the benefit of the doubt on who should get minutes and when.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO

Whoa, just a dumb rating in response to my request for an education on the game of basketball?

I was hoping for more.

Dec 16, 2022
Another classic from kusports.com:

Bryce Landon an hour ago
Remember back in the day how Brent Musberger loved gushing about what great fans Iowa State had, and what wonderful people they were? Yeah, those vulgar chants from ISU fans toward Gradey **** about sucking a certain part of the male anatomy is further evidence that Musberger was an imbecile when it comes to the Cry-Clown fanbase. If I were Carmen ****, I would sever my ties with Iowa State immediately after that repulsive display by the fans. If T.J. Otzelberger had any class or character, he would have gone over and grabbed the PA microphone and told the fans to knock it off, or better yet, threaten to forfeit the game if they continued. As the world's biggest Iowa State hater, this only further fuels my hatred for all things Iowa State.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron