*** Official #8 Kansas vs #13 IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

peatyscotch

Feb 16, 2022
Ok so this team is really good again right everyone?

Just be ready to emotionally swing the other way in Morgantown and don’t freak out if it happens. We absolutely destroyed Kansas today who was the hottest team in the conference and just won at Kentucky.

Life on the road is really freaking hard.

This is a much better team when everyone is available. We've all known its a "greater than the sum of its parts" situation but having Grill and Jaz back, even if not both 100%, makes a huge difference. So much complimentary play that guys being out or injured gets magnified.

And Lipsey kicked ass today.
Totally agree. This team is tough to beat when they play as a team.

Has anyone commented yet about Grill. Watched him closely today and man, he was hurting at times. I don't know how he does it. Playing high level ball with a bum back. Big ouch, but he showed once again he has a bigger character.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
Never said I could coach. Not once having made that claim. I do feel fairly confident that several fans (including myself) could utilize more sensible rotations in games. There is literally objective concrete data, in addition to the eye test, illustrating how bad Jones is. Or are you contending he's a 17 minute a game player?

No need to answer as I expect more senseless deflections.
Hahaha, I can't coach but here is what I could do better as a coach.

Buffoon

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
If Jones could hit a layup he would be amazing…
Or just kicks it out to a shooter. I scream "No!!" At the TV everytime he gets that look like he's taking it to the rim. Although some misses are so bad they've kind of become entertaining. Me questioning what in God's name is wrong with his eye to hand coordination

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
You keep using hyperbole, false premise and elitist positioning on your knowledge of basketball to avoid the point where you are wrong.

WRONG - Watson is NOT a better defender than BRE. And on Monday night in Lubbock neither was Osun and that is why TJ had to play BRE.

WRONG - King cannot play the 5, we have 2 x 4s when he is in there. It is different.

WRONG - Kunc can't take the banging in there that BRE does. It would be idiotic to have Kunc playing where BRE is and take away his perimeter defense and prowes.

Wow, you are wrong a lot in just a couple of paragraphs.

BRE is an essential part of the team. If TJ chose not to play him the next 5 games, we would lose 1 or 2 more than we would lose with him.

What is your point in stating that BRE is the least qualified Big XII player on the roster getting minutes. One of the players has to be in that position. Its not like he is get 35 minutes. It's not like this team is underperforming. It's not like the team hangs their head in despair when he is out there. It's not like the team doesn't continue to take it inside to him.

You bring nothing but random, cherry picked statistics to make your point. What is worse, I don't think are doing it because you really think it is an important topic - you are doing it because it is important to make yourself believe you are Lord High Basketball God because you played in some structured basketball game once or something.

As far as knowing about me, If you can't tell I am a raging Cyclone fan and that I am completely enamored with BREs competitiveness, attitude and contribution to the team - in what ever limited sense that is - I can't help you

This post is all BS.

I will focus on King, tbe most important part of the post. You claim King "can't play the 5" but what is this based on? He's routinely defended post ups, often against post players, and is more than adept working on the block. Maybe you didn't notice but the majority of King's points were scored on the block. He's also more willing to pass the ball out, something Jones utterly refuses to do, when stopped on the block. There is absolutely no reason to think, given King's physicality, long arms, and skill that he can't play the 5. He's an infinitely better option than Jones.

Lol on Kunc. I NEVER intimated Kunc would/could/#should play the 5. He cant, he's way too slender. The point was if King plays 15 to 18 minutes at the 5 it's aided by the fact we have Kunc back to play minutes at the 4. That was the entire point of mentioning him.

• Haha
Reactions: Ozclone

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
This post is all BS.

I will focus on King, tbe most important part of the post. You claim King "can't play the 5" but what is this based on? He's routinely defended post ups, often against post players, and is more than adept working on the block. Maybe you didn't notice but the majority of King's points were scored on the block. He's also more willing to pass the ball out, something Jones utterly refuses to do, when stopped on the block. There is absolutely no reason to think, given King's physicality, long arms, and skill that he can't play the 5. He's an infinitely better option than Jones.

Lol on Kunc. I NEVER intimated Kunc would/could/#should play the 5. He cant, he's way too slender. The point was if King plays 15 to 18 minutes at the 5 it's aided by the fact we have Kunc back to play minutes at the 4. That was the entire point of mentioning him.
And you are all BS

Done with your pathetic elitist ass

Reactions: ISUMojoMan

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Watching the game now. I love the announcers saying “fortunately Grill misses the shot.” No bias there at all.
Did they ever show our NFL guys? Gradey ****’s mom seems to get a lengthy feature whenever we play. Had to switch to radio a while when we had a stray dog in our yard.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
Never said I could coach. Not once having made that claim. I do feel fairly confident that several fans (including myself) could utilize more sensible rotations in games. There is literally objective concrete data, in addition to the eye test, illustrating how bad Jones is. Or are you contending he's a 17 minute a game player?

No need to answer as I expect more senseless deflections.

No, Bob should not a 17-minute player but there is a reason he gets those minutes. One is personnel, who is the next five up? Bob is value added on the defensive end despite his pitfalls on the offensive end (4 misses at the hoop today).

The other reason is because Shoon is not a 30-minute player in our defensive style in the big12 across a 35 game season. If he were able to maintain the intensity required and simultaneously stay out of foul trouble then his minutes would rise. What he did at st bonaventure is irrelevant because of the style of defense he was in (sit and swat) and the number of power five opponents he saw week in and out.

See reason 1 why Bob is getting those minutes.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: StLouisClone

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
You keep bringing up points that are irrelevant and misrepresentative of everything I said.

Contrary to popular opinion, I think this team has the pieces to do damage and make an Elite 8 run (ultimately I think the lack of a true go to scorer will bite us). With that said we don't have the luxury of making self-inflictef mistakes, and that starts with rotations.
I think the fact that we are a team with 5-6 Betas is what makes us dangerous. Kansas was a team with a clear Alpha and despite "getting his" today, the rest of the team really struggled and often deferred to him.

Last edited:

clonebb

Oct 23, 2015
Another classic from kusports.com:

Bryce Landon an hour ago
Remember back in the day how Brent Musberger loved gushing about what great fans Iowa State had, and what wonderful people they were? Yeah, those vulgar chants from ISU fans toward Gradey **** about sucking a certain part of the male anatomy is further evidence that Musberger was an imbecile when it comes to the Cry-Clown fanbase. If I were Carmen ****, I would sever my ties with Iowa State immediately after that repulsive display by the fans. If T.J. Otzelberger had any class or character, he would have gone over and grabbed the PA microphone and told the fans to knock it off, or better yet, threaten to forfeit the game if they continued. As the world's biggest Iowa State hater, this only further fuels my hatred for all things Iowa State.
Hey Landon- suck it. You are our biatch today.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
I had a fun time at the game today. Kansas looked very average.

The chili at the Tip Top was delicious, by the way.

Agree. When ISU stopped their second half run right after halftime.....it looked like they gave up. Started chucking up 3's. Not something you normally see in a Bill Self team.

And the clonecones are first rate.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
BRE is the worst player who gets significant Big 12 minutes. It's not even close really. While it didn't impact the game significantly today it WILL impact a tournament game if it continues. The frustrating part is we don't NEED him to play these minutes. King can play the 5 and even Watson is a much better defender and transition player. Once Kunc gete his lungs back, BRE should be next to Hawley on the bench. Why? Because the eye test and metrics tell us BRE is a terrible player.
I think you will see Bob's minutes decrease but today Kunz and King each picked up four fouls. This was the very first game both were available at the same time.

King still lags on the defensive end. He gave up a wide open three to Wilson around the 15min mark in first half, looked over at the bench and point at his chest seemingly saying 'thats on me' and then the very next trip down the floor gave up a second wide open look to Wilson that fortunately missed the mark. He was then pulled from the game and received some sideline coaching.

peatyscotch

Feb 16, 2022
After a game like this, and after looking at the B12 standings, I have to remind myself that we were picked to finish second last in the conference. Hats off to the hard working players and outstanding coaches, all of whom deserve congratulations for what they have accomplished midway through the season. No one is perfect, but man, these guys show what can be done with a plan and player buy-in. I can see more transfers wanting to come here in the future to finish off their college careers - especially as our recruiting classes are getting better.

Pharmacy99

Feb 7, 2013
This post is all BS.

Jone is shooting 47%, not great but not terrible either. Every big man misses easy layups not just Jones

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Or just kicks it out to a shooter. I scream "No!!" At the TV everytime he gets that look like he's taking it to the rim. Although some misses are so bad they've kind of become entertaining. Me questioning what in God's name is wrong with his eye to hand coordination

I'm not sure I've ever seen a player in recent seasons receive the level of attention on this forum that Rob Jones gets after either a win or loss, especially in comparison to his level of impact on the game, whether good or bad. It's really almost fascinating.

Yeah, some of his misses were cringe inducing today. But, he also played some really good defense on a few possessions and had a really nice first half steal that he then finished up with a nice bucket in transition to give us some momentum and really get the crowd going.

At this point he is who and what he is, and the misses around the hoop didn't hurt us today. Let's just enjoy a 15-point victory at home over the defending national champion. We can do that, can't we?

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Another classic from kusports.com:

Bryce Landon an hour ago
Remember back in the day how Brent Musberger loved gushing about what great fans Iowa State had, and what wonderful people they were? Yeah, those vulgar chants from ISU fans toward Gradey **** about sucking a certain part of the male anatomy is further evidence that Musberger was an imbecile when it comes to the Cry-Clown fanbase. If I were Carmen ****, I would sever my ties with Iowa State immediately after that repulsive display by the fans. If T.J. Otzelberger had any class or character, he would have gone over and grabbed the PA microphone and told the fans to knock it off, or better yet, threaten to forfeit the game if they continued. As the world's biggest Iowa State hater, this only further fuels my hatred for all things Iowa State.
jayhawk-crying-baby.gif

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Agree. When ISU stopped their second half run right after halftime.....it looked like they gave up. Started chucking up 3's. Not something you normally see in a Bill Self team.

And the clonecones are first rate.

That was among key stretches of the game, I think KU opened 2nd half with 10-2 segment, Iowa State was able to respond, quell it and push lead back near halftime margin. Situations like that have spiraled on us a few times this season (not always at that point in the game, but similar types of ebb-flow). That got us over at least one hump.

Reactions: PantherCyclone

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
This post is all BS.

King was most effective today when he was the top man of the 1-3-1 zone we ran for a little while in the second half. He's not great right now in man to man situations and teams know that and get him rotated to their best player and exploit him. In addition to the open three looks he gave up to Wilson today, he's also given up a number of easy backdoor cuts on the baseline. I really like king as a player, but he's got some faults

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron