*** Official #8 Kansas vs #13 IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
Yeah. It really cost us in the game today.

You need to worry about something else here.

We're a game out of 1st place (soon to be tied after KU takes care of Texas Mon.) and it's Feb 4th.

I think I'd give TJ the benefit of the doubt on who should get minutes and when.
Careful, I brought up team record as evidence TJ knew what he was doing and I got dumbed.

Missed layups per game is obviously the key measuring stick for bball team prowess.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
The ability to recover and continue to perform after bursts of energy expenditure cycled with moments of rest is far greater over a forty minute game than wiping a guy out for say 6-8 minutes of extended play and hoping he bounces back to a similar level. Also, the performance at the end of that extended stretch will be dissipating while also leaving an essential player more prone to committing fouls.

These are just a couple reasons nearly every single team in NCAA and professional basketball utilize a rotation.

Dude, nobody is saying not to sub him out. I just think conditioning a player, one of the most useful players on the team, to play 23 minutes is ridiculous. I've never advocated or expected him to play 40 (edited...had typed 30) but expecting a 5th year senior whose averaged 30 minutes the last to years to be able to play 30, at least occasionally, isn't outrageous. Moreover pre-scripting his removal, which today's pull obviously was, only ensures he will only be conditioned (mentally and physically) to play just that.

He was dominating at that time of his removal. If Shoon can play 5-6 minute stretches without coming out there's problem there somewhere. Short of a medical impediment (which could be the case) I don't see what we are accomplishing here.

The comedy of statements being misrepresented and distorted on here is amazing.

• Dumb
Reactions: JCity

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
King: 5-7, 10 points, 1 ORB, 4 DRB in 16 minutes.
BRE: 2-7, 2 boards, in 17 minutes.

Regardless of the win this kind of line can"t keep happening. It has and will continue to cost us games.

We get it; you hate Rob Jones with a fiery passion while simultaneously believing yourself to be the reincarnation of John Wooden.

I don't think you're completely wrong, for what it's worth, but it's gotten pretty old pretty quickly.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
Dude, nobody is saying not to sub him out. I just think conditioning a player, one of the most useful players on the team, to play 23 minutes is ridiculous. I've never advocated or expected him to play 30 but expecting a 5th year senior whose averaged 30 minutes the last to years to be able to play 30, at least occasionally, isn't outrageous. Moreover pre-scripting his removal, which today's pull obviously was, only ensures he will only be conditioned (mentally and physically) to play just that.

He was dominating at that time of his removal. If Shoon can play 5-6 minute stretches without coming out there's problem there somewhere. Short of a medical impediment (which could be the case) I don't see what we are accomplishing here.

Oh, such the martyr. Holding the high ground while all of us idiots wonder why we are so excited about a team and coach that are such, if I can use your words, boneheads.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
Dude, nobody is saying not to sub him out. I just think conditioning a player, one of the most useful players on the team, to play 23 minutes is ridiculous. I've never advocated or expected him to play 40 (edited...had typed 30) but expecting a 5th year senior whose averaged 30 minutes the last to years to be able to play 30, at least occasionally, isn't outrageous. Moreover pre-scripting his removal, which today's pull obviously was, only ensures he will only be conditioned (mentally and physically) to play just that.

What D1 head coaching jobs have you held?

Reactions: CyNews

ISU4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008
Another classic from kusports.com:

Bryce Landon an hour ago
Remember back in the day how Brent Musberger loved gushing about what great fans Iowa State had, and what wonderful people they were? Yeah, those vulgar chants from ISU fans toward Gradey **** about sucking a certain part of the male anatomy is further evidence that Musberger was an imbecile when it comes to the Cry-Clown fanbase. If I were Carmen ****, I would sever my ties with Iowa State immediately after that repulsive display by the fans. If T.J. Otzelberger had any class or character, he would have gone over and grabbed the PA microphone and told the fans to knock it off, or better yet, threaten to forfeit the game if they continued. As the world's biggest Iowa State hater, this only further fuels my hatred for all things Iowa State.

1675543048284.gif

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Oh, such the martyr. Holding the high ground while all of us idiots wonder why we are so excited about a team and coach that are such, if I can use your words, boneheads.

You keep bringing up points that are irrelevant and misrepresentative of everything I said.

Contrary to popular opinion, I think this team has the pieces to do damage and make an Elite 8 run (ultimately I think the lack of a true go to scorer will bite us). With that said we don't have the luxury of making self-inflictef mistakes, and that starts with rotations.

BRE is the worst player who gets significant Big 12 minutes. It's not even close really. While it didn't impact the game significantly today it WILL impact a tournament game if it continues. The frustrating part is we don't NEED him to play these minutes. King can play the 5 and even Watson is a much better defender and transition player. Once Kunc gete his lungs back, BRE should be next to Hawley on the bench. Why? Because the eye test and metrics tell us BRE is a terrible player.

I don't know about you but I want this team to succeed. I'm just realistic in acknowledging making large, indefensible errors with minutes is difficult to overcome in this conference. Especially on the road.

Jdk

Feb 27, 2019
Another classic from kusports.com:

Bryce Landon an hour ago
Remember back in the day how Brent Musberger loved gushing about what great fans Iowa State had, and what wonderful people they were? Yeah, those vulgar chants from ISU fans toward Gradey **** about sucking a certain part of the male anatomy is further evidence that Musberger was an imbecile when it comes to the Cry-Clown fanbase. If I were Carmen ****, I would sever my ties with Iowa State immediately after that repulsive display by the fans. If T.J. Otzelberger had any class or character, he would have gone over and grabbed the PA microphone and told the fans to knock it off, or better yet, threaten to forfeit the game if they continued. As the world's biggest Iowa State hater, this only further fuels my hatred for all things Iowa State.
Sore loser

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
King is going to be a factor down the road. Way more complete game than I was expecting. Ball seems to move really well when he's on the floor. We seemed to be choking up a bit in the second, and it seemed like his physicality kept KU in check. More playing time and confidence and he'll be a nightmare to match up with.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
You keep bringing up points that are irrelevant and misrepresentative of everything I said.

Contrary to popular opinion, I think this team has the pieces to do damage and make an Elite 8 run (ultimately I think the lack of a true go to scorer will bite us). With that said we don't have the luxury of making self-inflictef mistakes, and that starts with rotations.

BRE is the worst player who gets significant Big 12 minutes. It's not even close really. While it didn't impact the game significantly today it WILL impact a tournament game if it continues. The frustrating part is we don't NEED him to play these minutes. King can play the 5 and even Watson is a much better defender and transition player. Once Kunc gete his lungs back, BRE should be next to Hawley on the bench. Why? Because the eye test and metrics tell us BRE is a terrible player.

I don't know about you but I want this team to succeed. I'm just realistic in acknowledging making large, indefensible errors with minutes is difficult to overcome in this conference. Especially on the road.
You keep using hyperbole, false premise and elitist positioning on your knowledge of basketball to avoid the point where you are wrong.

WRONG - Watson is NOT a better defender than BRE. And on Monday night in Lubbock neither was Osun and that is why TJ had to play BRE.

WRONG - King cannot play the 5, we have 2 x 4s when he is in there. It is different.

WRONG - Kunc can't take the banging in there that BRE does. It would be idiotic to have Kunc playing where BRE is and take away his perimeter defense and prowes.

Wow, you are wrong a lot in just a couple of paragraphs.

BRE is an essential part of the team. If TJ chose not to play him the next 5 games, we would lose 1 or 2 more than we would lose with him.

What is your point in stating that BRE is the least qualified Big XII player on the roster getting minutes. One of the players has to be in that position. Its not like he is get 35 minutes. It's not like this team is underperforming. It's not like the team hangs their head in despair when he is out there. It's not like the team doesn't continue to take it inside to him.

You bring nothing but random, cherry picked statistics to make your point. What is worse, I don't think are doing it because you really think it is an important topic - you are doing it because it is important to make yourself believe you are Lord High Basketball God because you played in some structured basketball game once or something.

As far as knowing about me, If you can't tell I am a raging Cyclone fan and that I am completely enamored with BREs competitiveness, attitude and contribution to the team - in what ever limited sense that is - I can't help you

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
What D1 head coaching jobs have you held?

Never said I could coach. Not once having made that claim. I do feel fairly confident that several fans (including myself) could utilize more sensible rotations in games. There is literally objective concrete data, in addition to the eye test, illustrating how bad Jones is. Or are you contending he's a 17 minute a game player?

No need to answer as I expect more senseless deflections.

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
The 3 new transfers are really stepping up. Holmes 15, Osun 13 and King 10 were the only Cyclones in double figures today.

Lipsey with the great bounce back game. 10 assists and only 2 turnovers.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron