Anybody actually still excited about the future

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
of the MBB team?

Am I the only one?

McD won't be going anywhere for at least 2 years in my book. JP said on the most recent call-in show that he is looking at the MBB program as being in year 1 of McD. Fair or not, that's the reality of the situation.

Next year we will see an upgrade in athletisism by replacing Petey/Haluska/Thompson with Gilstrap/Colvin. I expect that we should be middle of the pack B12 team next year as we're not losing a whole lot from our graduating seniors.

Beyone that, McD is in on or has verbals from some great young kids. If they live up to their recruiting hype and arrive on campus (both "ifs"), the future of our program should be in good shape. IMO "systems" don't make or break programs but talent does. I think we'll see some great talent on campus in the next few years.

Reactions: Cyfan322 and CP44

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
of the MBB team?

Am I the only one?

McD won't be going anywhere for at least 2 years in my book. JP said on the most recent call-in show that he is looking at the MBB program as being in year 1 of McD. Fair or not, that's the reality of the situation.

Next year we will see an upgrade in athletisism by replacing Petey/Haluska/Thompson with Gilstrap/Colvin. I expect that we should be middle of the pack B12 team next year as we're not losing a whole lot from our graduating seniors.

Beyone that, McD is in on or has verbals from some great young kids. If they live up to their recruiting hype and arrive on campus (both "ifs"), the future of our program should be in good shape. IMO "systems" don't make or break programs but talent does. I think we'll see some great talent on campus in the next few years.

I'm still excited, for the reasons that you've listed. Talent is improving, things will be coming together. I don't see any reason not to be excited.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
No. Not with McDermott. His coaching style is not right for the BIG 12-

But I am excited for FB. With everyone back....and Bo Williams running the ball, we could be in for an entertaining year.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
I am still excited for the future. We have players that have a lot of learning left in them. The potential is there for a good run in the next few years.

kg-cyclone

Oct 30, 2006
I'm not completely frustrated with how we are playing...but the 5 to 10 possessions a game that are deciding these games are absolutely horrible.

Reactions: jaretac

jay moe

Apr 10, 2006
southern iowa
I am excited, I just wish something good would happen to these kids because they are working hard for this university.

HOTDON

Mar 24, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
As long as we got Craig Brackins still on the team, there will always be one reason to watch us play.

There's the key. Think what you want about the coach but there has to be at least on thing that you see in at least one of our players that makes you hopeful for next season. That feeling should be there every year regardless of how the team looks as a whole.

Even the most hardened McD hater has to have a favorite on the team or what would be the point in watching at all?

Clone9

Nov 12, 2006
Boston, MA
I'm excited/optimistic too. I'm also frustrated with our very inconsistent play this year. Even if we were just consistently average I would be alright with it.

But yeah, I think next year we could be a bubble team, if Craig stays.

LeaningCy

Jan 18, 2008
As long as we got Craig Brackins still on the team, there will always be one reason to watch us play.

I agree with this. Last night the announcers kept saying we needed Craig + 1. We never got the 1, but we can all hope that next year Gilstrap is that + 1.

Until then, I'll try to avoid apathy while watching the Craig + 0's.

nj829

Mar 18, 2006
Northwest Arkansas
I'm excited for next year, I have had no high expectations based on the guards we have in the program being able to compete night in and out at a level needed for post-season, so I guess I held my expectations in check. Next year I expect NIT or better, and if that doesn't happen and we don't have a top ranked recruiting class, then I will no longer be excited.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I am excited for tailgating during football season. That is about all I am excited about in Cyclone sports. I will still buy season tickets and I will still root for our team. I will still watch certain players to see if they live up to there Hype (this means you Bo Williams). Other than that I am excited I got myself a new football jersey. #4. Sandvig I think.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
No. Not with McDermott. His coaching style is not right for the BIG 12-

But I am excited for FB. With everyone back....and Bo Williams running the ball, we could be in for an entertaining year.

What B12 coaching "style" would be best for this team of players?

It's talent and not "style" IMO. Put better players on the floor and we'll be fine.

Reactions: LutherClone

kurimski

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I"m still excited as well. The basketball team really isn't losing much when you look at it. Losing Petey will be 6pts a game, couple assists, and leadership. Haluska will be losing a decent defender and average shooter. Thompson in my eyes won't be a loss at all, except he has 5 fouls to give. I think Buckley, DG, and Colvin will pick up the stat loss for Petey. Also, DG will be more of a leader I think along with Brackens. I see Boozer taking Haluska's spot and playing time along with Eik. Thompson won't be a loss, but our big men will be improved next year. Next year COULD be an exciting year.

cyclonepower

Oct 5, 2006
WDM
sure why not...I will still be cheering my *** off for the every game no matter how bad they are. Right now we need a W desperately.

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008

Looking for a comment from someone who's in position to know, not guess, please: Is Craig's blossoming due not only to his own innate qualities and maturation, but in large part because of Mac's big-man tutelage?

Same question about Hamilton, too, if you don't mind.

I kinda think this team, this coach - this program - is being tested by fire. Next season, we'll see if this year's experiences tempered the Cyclones to a steely hardness, or if they turn them crispy brittle. . . .

lakeliving

Apr 11, 2006
I am still excited. Do I wish things were better yes, am I optimistic that we are getting closer? Yes! Basketball is a long season, usually filled with ups and downs. Once in awhile a team catches lightning in a bottle (Drake last year, UNI lately) and builds off that momentum. I truly do not think we are that far away. You can have success in basketball with a couple true players and a few others that know their roles. I think we have one true player and a couple others that know their role, we just need 1 more player to step up most games.
I may be in the minority on this belief, but I told a close friend at the end of the football season that fans would be more restless than usual during the basketball season because of how the football season played out and the departure of the coach. I still feel that way, had the football season gone better, our football coach had handled his departure better (with some class) people would be showing much more patience with the basketball program.
Just my opinions.

Torks Pub

Dec 16, 2006
Ankeny
I am not excited about the future under this coach, incoming recruits included. I have not seen anything that indicates to me that he can land a player that will make an immediate impact (see another thread regarding recruits).

I have been a season ticket holder of one way or another since the Lynn Nance days, and GMAC teams play like Nance's, ie slow, deliberate offense tempo. I didn't like that style of play then, and I still do not. In my opinion, this style does not win consistently in major conferences.