Anybody actually still excited about the future

CP44

Nov 27, 2006
No. Not with McDermott. His coaching style is not right for the BIG 12-

But I am excited for FB. With everyone back....and Bo Williams running the ball, we could be in for an entertaining year.

I beg to differ.... there hasn't exactly been stability in program and they are starting to right the ship... noone said it would be easy and with a young team there are going to be growing pains but the the talent and athleticism is improving and I am looking forward to good things.... Mcd isn't the problem

CP44

Nov 27, 2006
I am not excited about the future under this coach, incoming recruits included. I have not seen anything that indicates to me that he can land a player that will make an immediate impact (see another thread regarding recruits).

I have been a season ticket holder of one way or another since the Lynn Nance days, and GMAC teams play like Nance's, ie slow, deliberate offense tempo. I didn't like that style of play then, and I still do not. In my opinion, this style does not win consistently in major conferences.

Have you ever seen Colvin play?

And Brackins started last year and made an immediate impact.... both McD recruits

Torks Pub

Dec 16, 2006
Ankeny

And Brackins started last year and made an immediate impact.... both McD recruits

No. He may, indeed, be a special player, but very few true freshman point guards make an impact to the nature that we need him to.

I will take a wait and see approach. Thus, no enthusiasm going forward.

kurimski

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006

Colvin is good but so was DG and Buckley in high school as well. It's known that it takes a little while for incoming players to learn McD's system. I wouldn't expect an immediate impact from Colvin.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
I have been a season ticket holder of one way or another since the Lynn Nance days, and GMAC teams play like Nance's, ie slow, deliberate offense tempo. I didn't like that style of play then, and I still do not. In my opinion, this style does not win consistently in major conferences.

Styles don't win games. Talent does. I'm not as old as you but I couldn't name one player from the Nance era. Did his teams have a lot of talent on it but still didn't win?

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
I kinda think this team, this coach - this program - is being tested by fire. Next season, we'll see if this year's experiences tempered the Cyclones to a steely hardness, or if they turn them crispy brittle. . . .

Did you just compare our basketball team to bacon? :jimlad:

Also I agree and sure hope this is the case.

CP44

Nov 27, 2006
Colvin is good but so was DG and Buckley in high school as well. It's known that it takes a little while for incoming players to learn McD's system. I wouldn't expect an immediate impact from Colvin.

True.... But I think either way the fact remains-McD is getting more talent and athleticism with each class... I'm not saying there aren't things that McD can't do better but I think we need to wait longer before we start cashing it in on the coach

Torks Pub

Dec 16, 2006
Ankeny
Styles don't win games. Talent does. I'm not as old as you but I couldn't name one player from the Nance era. Did his teams have a lot of talent on it but still didn't win?

Andrew Parker, Dean Uthoff, Chuck Harminson (although he fouled out most games). Parker and Dean were very good.

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Is Brackins comes back, we'll be better next year...the question is how much better...and will Brackins come back?

We're better right now than Colorado, Hawaii, and South Dakota State though, and that didn't stop us from losing to them.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
If the poiint guard had a better night of dribbling, we would have been talking about the big win in Boulder. Turnover points went 21-10 in their favor.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

From what we have seen, it takes about four years to learn the system.:skeptical:

Torks Pub

Dec 16, 2006
Ankeny
Styles don't win games. Talent does.

I had to think of a reply for this as I actually think it is a combination of the two.

Pete Carril ran a specific "style" at Princeton and had great luck with it in the Ivy League. He pulled only one upset in the NCAA's with this "style". His protege, who's name escapes me, then ran the "style" in a major conference, the Big 10 while at NW. He had limited success, a few upsets but not consistent success so one could argue the "style" was not conducive to major conference basketball.

If any coach has terrific talent at his disposal, he can win. Witness George Raveling at Iowa.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I would say I'm hopeful but not necessarily excited at this point.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
It's talent and not "style" IMO. Put better players on the floor and we'll be fine.

I couldn't possibly agree more. Blame Greg for not having talent if you want but we have a dearth of talent. I don't know any coach that would be winning with these parts.

Am I excited? No, not until I see something to be excited about.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
The future? You mean all the way to the year 2000? I am!

In the year 2000!

[FONT=COMIC SANS MS, ARIAL, TIMES NEW ROMAN]For security reasons, the government will declare it illegal to say numbers out loud. And the singing of numbers will be punishable by death.[/FONT]

kkise

Jun 25, 2008
Ankeny, Iowa
Yeah, I'm excited for next year. Hell, I'm even looking forward to the game this Saturday. But I wear cardinal-colored glasses and drink the Kool-Aid pretty heavily.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I am not excited about the future under this coach, incoming recruits included. I have not seen anything that indicates to me that he can land a player that will make an immediate impact (see another thread regarding recruits).

One problem. This collection of players could not play fast and succeed. I'm interested to see the style we play with talented players. Will Mac adjust? I don't know...I'm a bit intrigued.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
I had to think of a reply for this as I actually think it is a combination of the two.

Pete Carril ran a specific "style" at Princeton and had great luck with it in the Ivy League. He pulled only one upset in the NCAA's with this "style". His protege, who's name escapes me, then ran the "style" in a major conference, the Big 10 while at NW. He had limited success, a few upsets but not consistent success so one could argue the "style" was not conducive to major conference basketball.

If any coach has terrific talent at his disposal, he can win. Witness George Raveling at Iowa.

Isn't that only part of the story of the Princeton offense? Isn't it ran (or at least versions) all over by many teams now? Doesn't Georgetown run it sometimes?

Regardless, your point is well taken.