Anybody actually still excited about the future

MonsterBack

Sep 7, 2008
Parts Unknown
I'm still very excited.
This season has gone pretty much as expected, given where the talent lies on the team (underclassmen) and the talent level of our few upperclassmen.
Teams with this makeup usually lose a few that they shouldn't, and (hopefully) win a couple that they shouldn't.
The team isn't bereft of talent. Our talent is just young, inexperienced and inconsistent.

With another year under their belts these guys can be MUCH better than they're showing right now. Add some muscle and maturity, and I think they'll do great things.

Each of our young guys have had games where they showed glimpses of what they can do. But only CB has been able to show the kind of consistency we usually only see in upperclassmen.

I know GMac will get the program where we want it to be, and I'm excited about the potential for the future.

stepha4

May 3, 2006
There's no need to be excited until we see a true big 12 point guard......Diante's not it.....evidently Dominique's not it......will Colvin be? We'll go as far as he can take us?

I'm still mystified by Diante's turnovers????

whirlybirds

Oct 25, 2007
Knoxville, IA
I'm still excited about our future. Give us Roy Williams and hand him the same cards GM was dealt (all of ISU recruits bailing out when he takes the job and having his best players walk off the team) and we would be sitting here calling for his head too! Cut the man some slack! No coach, no matter how good, could turn this into a winning season.

Cy Heavy

Aug 29, 2006
Ankeny
I'm not sure excited is how I'd say I feel about the future but I've cheered ISU on through tougher times and plan to for the future.

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
I've seen nothing out of this staff on the court that has impressed me at all. Not one thing.

However, I am excited to see how much we improve in the next two years with Colvin, Gilstrap, and then the following freshman class. If improvement is not there or minimal, I think it's safe to say the GMac era is over at Iowa State after the 2010/2011 season. This ship needs to get turned around.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I've seen nothing out of this staff on the court that has impressed me at all. Not one thing.

However, I am excited to see how much we improve in the next two years with Colvin, Gilstrap, and then the following freshman class. If improvement is not there or minimal, I think it's safe to say the GMac era is over at Iowa State after the 2010/2011 season. This ship needs to get turned around.

The staff isn't supposed to be on the court, so maybe it's good that you're not seeing them on it. :jimlad:

cyco2000

Nov 5, 2007
I'm still excited about our future. Give us Roy Williams and hand him the same cards GM was dealt (all of ISU recruits bailing out when he takes the job and having his best players walk off the team) and we would be sitting here calling for his head too! Cut the man some slack! No coach, no matter how good, could turn this into a winning season.

Actually, I'm pretty confident that if Roy Williams was coaching this team, all the ISU recruits wouldn't have bailed and his best players wouldn't walk off the team. Even if you could convince me that they would have left the team, I am more confident that Roy Williams would have recruited more B12 talent and we'd be NCAA bound this year.

On to the topic at hand...I can't really say I'm excited for the future. Hopeful for a miracle turnaround? You bet!

CP44

Nov 27, 2006
Maybe the style he used at UNI isn't appropriate for the level of athleticism found in the better Big 12 teams...

It took GA Tech down to the wire the year they went to the final 4.... We have lost our best player every year since he has been here and it seems like everybody is expecting a team that is going to contend for a Big 12 title or something. We are playing almost completely underclassmen and the upperclassmen that are playing are about to be replaced by recruits that are better and more athletic.... the negativity will get us nowhere

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Good basketball players can win in any system...it's been proven over and over again. Raw athletes tend to excel in an up tempo, run and gun style of play...fundamentally sound less athletic players tend to do better in a slow it down, half court game...but good basketball players can excel in any system.

CP44

Nov 27, 2006
Good basketball players can win in any system...it's been proven over and over again. Raw athletes tend to excel in an up tempo, run and gun style of play...fundamentally sound less athletic players tend to do better in a slow it down, half court game...but good basketball players can excel in any system.

Exactly....

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA

Most slow it down systems have some kinds of flow to it that you can pick up watching the game. There is the movement of the ball and away from the ball. Four guys standing around the shell and one in the middle doing all the work isn't necessarily a 'system'.

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Most slow it down systems have some kinds of flow to it that you can pick up watching the game. There is the movement of the ball and away from the ball. Four guys standing around the shell and one in the middle doing all the work isn't necessarily a 'system'.

Not gonna argue that we don't appear to be doing much on offense...but our main problem right now is talent...not our offensive sets.