Anybody actually still excited about the future

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Not gonna argue that we don't appear to be doing much on offense...but our main problem right now is talent...not our offensive sets.

I agree with that too... But you can make up for talent deficiencies by moving the ball and moving without the ball, confusing and wearing out the defense... Why else do you think the Princeton offense is so popular? Right now we don't make the defense work too hard and it is biting us on both ends of the court...

Reactions: Wesley

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I agree with that too... But you can make up for talent deficiencies by moving the ball and moving without the ball, confusing and wearing out the defense... Why else do you think the Princeton offense is so popular? Right now we don't make the defense work too hard and it is biting us on both ends of the court...

Agreed...I'm not saying we're doing a good job of running the offense by any means...I'd love to see more movement.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I'm still very excited.
This season has gone pretty much as expected, given where the talent lies on the team (underclassmen) and the talent level of our few upperclassmen.
Teams with this makeup usually lose a few that they shouldn't, and (hopefully) win a couple that they shouldn't.
The team isn't bereft of talent. Our talent is just young, inexperienced and inconsistent.

With another year under their belts these guys can be MUCH better than they're showing right now. Add some muscle and maturity, and I think they'll do great things.

Each of our young guys have had games where they showed glimpses of what they can do. But only CB has been able to show the kind of consistency we usually only see in upperclassmen.

I know GMac will get the program where we want it to be, and I'm excited about the potential for the future.

Looks like Boozer has the most potential over next few years to improve a lot. He should get more PT.

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa
I think we need an offensive coordinator.
McDermott definitely needs to start recruiting players that better fit his system.

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I think we need an offensive coordinator.
McDermott definitely needs to start recruiting players that better fit his system.

Talented basketball players are what we need...right now it's not that our guys don't "fit the system"...it's that we just aren't good enough.

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa
Talented basketball players are what we need...right now it's not that our guys don't "fit the system"...it's that we just aren't good enough.
Our guys definitely don't fit the defense first and stagnant offense system that we current employ.

Swanson10

Jun 12, 2008
It took GA Tech down to the wire the year they went to the final 4.... We have lost our best player every year since he has been here and it seems like everybody is expecting a team that is going to contend for a Big 12 title or something. We are playing almost completely underclassmen and the upperclassmen that are playing are about to be replaced by recruits that are better and more athletic.... the negativity will get us nowhere

Most are in their second year or half way through their first, at some point, like now, they arent considered underclassmen on the court. Maybe in the classroom but not on the hardwood.

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa
What system do our guys fit?...
I don't know that they fit into any.
You are completely correct though that the talent needs an upgrade. I just think we need to keep an eye out for guys with defensive ability and the ability to create his own shot.

el tornado

Mar 23, 2006
Wait til next year...
Colvin and Gilstrap are immediate starters and quite the upgrade from Peterson and Thompson. But I really can't see us going to the NCAA's anytime soon. Losing to South Dakota State, Iowa, and Colorado showed us that we belong in the basement of the Big 12.

greatshu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2007
KS
I am excited for future of our team in football and basketball. Rebuilding ANY programs would take time. I expect ISU to start making progress soon. ISU is great school to play for because no matter how crappy the sports teams are, all of the fans still come and cheer for our CYCLONES. Did you look at Colorado vs. ISU bball? Their arena was EMPTY. That would NEVER happen at ISU. Good fans, good school, and eventually have good bball/football back :)

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
Styles don't win games. Talent does.

I had to think of a reply for this as I actually think it is a combination of the two.

Pete Carril ran a specific "style" at Princeton and had great luck with it in the Ivy League. He pulled only one upset in the NCAA's with this "style". His protege, who's name escapes me, then ran the "style" in a major conference, the Big 10 while at NW. He had limited success, a few upsets but not consistent success so one could argue the "style" was not conducive to major conference basketball.

If any coach has terrific talent at his disposal, he can win. Witness George Raveling at Iowa.

Bill Carmody, I believe.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Wait til next year...
Colvin and Gilstrap are immediate starters and quite the upgrade from Peterson and Thompson. But I really can't see us going to the NCAA's anytime soon. Losing to South Dakota State, Iowa, and Colorado showed us that we belong in the basement of the Big 12.
Colvin should help immediately resolve our ballhandling issues.

Gilstrap will give CB help on the boards, along with an improved Hamilton. And both are slashers, who can get to the rim and draw fouls.

Hell yes, I'm still excited about the future of Iowa State basketball.