What’s going at Casey’s?

ISU_Guy

Jul 21, 2021
Des Moines
like mentioned earlier, i think they just expanded to fast among changing logos and some other things.
hard to believe they are technically the 5th largest pizza chain in the country.

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
In my town of ~1500 we have one Casey's. It's fine, as are most local Casey's -- they have at least decent as-advertised Casey's pizza. In a pinch we absolutely hit it for breakfast pizza or (very infrequently) if we are in a pinch for supper and grab a pizza...but my wife doesn't like how greasy their pizza is, so not very often.

I've made a special trip to the next town (10 miles) that has a (pretty bad) Kwik Star, because at least they carry eggs and milk and the essentials we buy there, and if my nearby grocery is closed (I discover right after the store closes we don't have eggs for tomorrow) Casey's doesn't have those.

My secret hope is that Kwik Star takes over our Casey's, but that's never ever going to happen with a town our size.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
I’m glad I'm not going crazy in thinking that Casey’s is turned to complete trash in most places. I now avoid them at all costs if I can. Even their new ones are already run down. Stopped at the newer one in east Carroll this summer traveling with my kids, worst gas station experience ever. It was filthy in bathroom and main area, 1 person checking out a 10+ person line while others pretended to be stocking drinks all while swearing at each other until one went for a smoke break.

As someone that survived on Kwik Trip (Star) for hangover food and bags of milk in college I couldn’t be happier to see that it is now destroying Casey’s in its own backyard.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
The Caseys’s in our 1400 pop small town print’s money for the corporate profit line. Only “convenience” food/gas outlet around & the door never shuts. Over 1,000 jobs here & 80% drive in from a 50 mile radius which explains the store traffic. Items off the shelves are extremely overpriced and the sandwiches and pizzas are very good. They sell a lot of food because it is fast, tastes good & not over priced. The Caseys’s in the small towns with no competition are the core of the profitability for Casey’s Corporate imo.
It's a corporation. How can the recipes/menu offerings in small town location differ any from larger areas?

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I think I saw recently that the KS/KT owner is retiring. Maybe his kids take over now?
The interview made him seem like a pretty quality dude.

Yep, the kid is hanging up his surgical gloves at Mayo to to run KT/KS.

RoseClone

Oct 18, 2006
Casey's has been my last choice for around a year for many of the reasons mentioned. Very noticeable decline at Casey's. Kum & Go or Kwik Star is where I go.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Casey’s pizza is fine if you like chewy crust and lots of greasy sausage. Too many quality pizza options are available to have to settle for that pie. Parlor in Beaverdale, 7 Stone in Waukee, New York Pizza in WDM or Gusto and Noah’s on Ingersoll.

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
I will not even try a Casey’s anymore! Even in the small town in ND where I am from.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Casey's supposedly bought the Swift Stops in Ames. That was a week or so ago. Don't know about the Thompson oil part of it though.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Casey’s pizza is fine if you like chewy crust and lots of greasy sausage. Too many quality pizza options are available to have to settle for that pie. Parlor in Beaverdale, 7 Stone in Waukee, New York Pizza in WDM or Gusto and Noah’s on Ingersoll.
I live in a small town in NEIA, and it's the 3rd or 4th best pizza option, depending on the day. I don't know why you'd bother in DSM.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
It was the only reason I would still go.

Finding Casey's subs is like finding a ******* unicorn anymore.

The Hy-Vee near me had a sub station for a while and it was awesome. Nearly the same price as Subway, but fresh deli meat and way more of it. Freaking awesome. Eventually it was closed more and more often. Last week I walked by and they covered it up with boxes.

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
I went into a Caseys a while ago to get a coffee (normally I do at home but was in a pinch) and they were out of large coffee cups. I asked if they had any more and they told me that they have been out for at least a week and not sure when they would get more as the warehouse hasn't brought any for a while. At one time I went into 2 Casey's in search of breakfast pizza and both of them were out of it and it was 7:45 in the morning and it looked like no more being made. I am trying to give them the benefit of the doubt with supply shortages and staff shortages, but it has seemed to get worse recently.

Reactions: tnacin

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
The Casey's in the CR metro area all pretty much suck. Kwik Stars are tremendous.
Casey's replaced their card readers/keypads and they still never work. Kwik Stars work in like 2 seconds.