2022 Football post mortem/looking forward

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Correct, 2021 was absolutely a disappointment. I couldn’t possibly care less where “7 wins” ranks in our 100 year history. Because it literally has 0 significance. Roster construction matters. Talent matters. Expectations matter. Everything was in place for Iowa State to be really good, and it just wasn’t. It wasn’t very good (and not a real threat to play for a conference title) because of consistent schematic issues and coaching blunders, the same sh*t that’s been happening year after year.

If some here are obsessed with our history, then it should most definitely be frustrating to know that Iowa State is not losing specifically because of a laughable talent gap with our opponent like those precious 80’s and 90’s squads (and Rhoads squads) - we are lining up weekly against teams that, from a talent perspective, we can compete with (which is most certainly a product of us recruiting a bit better, developing better overall, being a better program overall, and the fact that the conference as a hole has a ton of parity with no freakish talent powerhouses). Yet now we lose because of coaching. Schemes. Play calling. (Lack of) Adjustments. Losing 6 games last year (and EIGHT in conference this year) with so many coaching mistakes is not acceptable, and it should not be acceptable to Iowa State fans “because we used to suck”. That’s ********.

CMC has some work to do to fix this situation. Our fanbase deserves it.
We are one of the cheapest fan bases out there. We are unfortunately getting what we deserve. We won the fiesta bowl and our donations went up to like 15MM which is near last in P5 donations. Tell me why we deserve nice things for a third of the price of every other team out there.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
That stuff happens all the time and doesn't shed light on anything. I watched Enis Haywood break Justin Eilers jaw with a punch. Mike Banks and a JUCO LB (his name escapes me now, Tucker?) would practically fight every practice.
didn't he hit Eliers with his helmet? Sadly they are both gone.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
Honestly it blows my mind that there are people that want the best coach in modern Iowa state history to leave. We have to go back to the 70s to find the last truly successful coach we have had before Campbell. Yeah, McCarney had moments but overall, he pales next to Campbell's NY6 bowl win and matching 9-win season.

The reality is college football has down years and up years. Brian Kelly went 4-8 at Notre dame and followed it up with a 10 win season. Even bluebloods go into bad periods so why should we expect a program like Iowa State never to miss a bowl? Yeah, we sucked this year, but next year is a different season. I am confident that CMC will make changes this offseason like he did after the Notre Dame season.
Coach who makes zero adjustments during the season and still hasn't learned time management and data analytics is going to drastically change things in the offseason?

Including firing his bestie?

Please Cincinnatti, you're our only hope......

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Honestly it blows my mind that there are people that want the best coach in modern Iowa state history to leave. We have to go back to the 70s to find the last truly successful coach we have had before Campbell. Yeah, McCarney had moments but overall, he pales next to Campbell's NY6 bowl win and matching 9-win season.

The reality is college football has down years and up years. Brian Kelly went 4-8 at Notre dame and followed it up with a 10 win season. Even bluebloods go into bad periods so why should we expect a program like Iowa State never to miss a bowl? Yeah, we sucked this year, but next year is a different season. I am confident that CMC will make changes this offseason like he did after the Notre Dame season.

Brian Kelly's level of success blows Campbell's away. It's not a worthwhile comparison.

• Haha
Reactions: 3TrueFans

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Campbell has absolutely earned the right to fix this. This year sucked but hopefully it was bad enough that it forces him to get fresh blood in the coaching staff and make necessary changes. This is definitely a crossroads off-season though.

LtRaczack

Dec 23, 2010
Columbus, GA
Summary of YYYYUUUUGGGEEEEE Changes for 2023:

1. Change main issue talking point from inconsistencies to impracticalities on offense (It is not practical to run a dynamic offense, continue with the same five play set and a maximum of 2 scoring drives per game).
2. Major staff shake up: Hire special run play analyst who doubles as assistant special teams analyst. All other positions remain unchanged. All successes attributed to existing staff; all failures attributed to this new analyst.
3. Openly blame donors, fans and supporters for failing to support program financially since more financial support would automatically guarantee success. Randomly throwing money at challenges and complex issues without accountability, oversight and a general vision always leads to success.
4. Lose games
5. Profit
6. Refer to past records after sustaining subsequent losing seasons, remind all of past successes but stick to Fiesta Bowl win as main talking point.
7. Renegotiate contracts
8. Profit More
9. Mock anyone who questions this status quo as stupid, Hawkeye fans or ungrateful
10. Emphasize character building and life coaching successes
11. Complete lifetime contract with full autonomy to determine staff indefinitely

Help Support Us

Become a patron