2022 Football post mortem/looking forward

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Defense: Great year. Keep building and doing what you do. Some holes to fill, but I think we will have another great unit next year.

Offense: Take this experience and go to work. This year was horrible offensively, but we were also young in key spots. Some staff changes probably need to be made as well, as this unit was way too predictable all year, and the scheme was too easy to defend.

Special teams: We need a major rework here. I think we're set at punter for a few years, but the rest of it was pretty consistently awful. Whatever the plan has been, scrap it and develop another one.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Portal needs:
OL - 2 or 3
WR - 2
RB - 1
TE - Maybe 1?
QB - Maybe 1, anyone with talent is getting NIL out the ass though
Kicker
Linebacker?

Coaching changes:
Tom Manning fired or demoted
Joel Gordon fired
Jeff Meyers fired
Nate S doesn't have to do like half the position coaching on the offense

If we just sit on our asses and do nothing in the offseason that should be a fireable offense for Campbell. We need a full Hoiberg/TJ run on the offense in the portal especially. Our only good player on that side of the ball is gone now and the other 2(Brock and Norton) combined for more injuries than wins this year.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Need a new offensive line coach. I know many on here will say the whole offensive staff needs to go, but I think it’s hard to judge with how bad the OL unit has been. In previous seasons, other position groups haven’t been bad, so I don’t think those coaches are a problem.

I wouldn’t be sad if Manning left, but part of me wonders if the playbook was limited due to how bad the OL was.

Another thing we need to do, if Campbell is going to continue to talk about winning in the margins, I think more practice time needs to be spent on the fundamentals. That’s how Iowa pulls out good seasons even when they suck. Players, in any sport, that are great at fundamentals will be average at worst.

VoiceOfReason

Aug 21, 2016
Not much rebuilding happened in our rebuilding year.
Yeah, this is my big takeaway.

I also just look at our special teams and the lack of changes/improvement made in year four (?) of major special teams problems and question if Campbell really is going to be able to fix the special teams problems, much less the even bigger offensive problems. It's starting to feel like Heacock is the rockstar in the coaches room and Campbell might not be the right person to solve the problems on the other side of the ball.

Even the things Campbell is saying now. I really don't think he wants to make a change on the offensive side of the ball and even if he does swap out a few assistants and maybe Manning, I still think we're largely running what he wants us to be running on offense and even if we do see some changes in the offensive coaching staff, I don't think they will ultimately be very meaningful.

I just think the program should be in a better place after year seven if Campbell is really going to be the Cyclone's long-term answer at head coach.

legi

Oct 31, 2008
Maple Grove, MN
Portal needs:
OL - 2 or 3
WR - 2
RB - 1
TE - Maybe 1?
QB - Maybe 1, anyone with talent is getting NIL out the ass though
Kicker
Linebacker?

Coaching changes:
Tom Manning fired or demoted
Joel Gordon fired
Jeff Meyers fired
Nate S doesn't have to do like half the position coaching on the offense

If we just sit on our asses and do nothing in the offseason that should be a fireable offense for Campbell. We need a full Hoiberg/TJ run on the offense in the portal especially. Our only good player on that side of the ball is gone now and the other 2(Brock and Norton) combined for more injuries than wins this year.
I will be shocked if Campbell gets more than 1-2 players from the portal. I hope he gets more than that.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan