Best Dunker in ISU History?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Agreed. I was screaming and couldn't hear myself. Upper level too. By far the loudest hilton has ever been.

I was in the upper level too and jumping all over the place when he threw that dunk down. The 2nd loudest I can remember was that same season when we played Iowa. We started out the game on a big run 13-2 or something like that and Alford calls a time out while Mike Nurse is hold his hands over his ears and waving like it was too loud. I remember saying "get used to this Mike, this is Hilton Magic!" After the game Fizer stood on the top of the scorers table and had some kind of sign, can't remember what it was but had something about Larry and that was the moment you knew that team was dialed in and bought into Larry's system. That was the big elephant in the room the season before that about if Marcus had bought into Larry's system after the coach that brought him to ISU left him hanging after his freshman season.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
I was at this game as a student at ISU at the time. Have had season tickets every year after graduating and to this day I don't think Hilton was ever as loud at a given moment than it was after that dunk. That was the "Iowa State is the real deal" moment of that magical season and to me was the moment the nation took notice that we were going to contend in March. Coming into that game Mihm at the time was projected at the possible #1 overall pick of the upcoming NBA draft and Fizer just manhandled him and scored 35 points that game. That dunk is probably one of the most memorable and significant dunks in ISU history.

As for best dunker it's Clark with Burton a close second. Clark was so athletic and ran the floor that he really got some hang time on some of his dunks. Burton probably was a lot more "thunderous" dunks than Clark did because of his size and strength but Clark was just a freak and defied gravity at times.

Was there as well. The building was shaking.

Mihm was being pretty chippy that season as well, he was the kind of player it was easy to hate. It was hilarious that Mihm was actually going out to contest him.

Reactions: CYdTracked

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I’ll agree that the play is awesome, sure, but mainly because of the passes before the dunk. The actual dunk is not that great. Burton’s in the Big 12 championship was much more impressive

man I miss fast breaks. Wayne Morgan might not have been the best coach but man we had some exciting moments with his style of coaching

Reactions: frackincygy

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
With all due respect to all the great ISU dunkers of the all time.... the correct answer is Burton.

Possibly the most impressive single dunk though IMO, was Royce White dribbling between the legs of the defender and then throwing it down. I wanted SO badly to see what a fully engaged and mentally right Royce White could have done in the NBA. He is a special basketball talent. You just don't find point guard skills in a guy that size.... he was unlike anyone I've seen.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I was at this game as a student at ISU at the time. Have had season tickets every year after graduating and to this day I don't think Hilton was ever as loud at a given moment than it was after that dunk. That was the "Iowa State is the real deal" moment of that magical season and to me was the moment the nation took notice that we were going to contend in March. Coming into that game Mihm at the time was projected at the possible #1 overall pick of the upcoming NBA draft and Fizer just manhandled him and scored 35 points that game. That dunk is probably one of the most memorable and significant dunks in ISU history.

As for best dunker it's Clark with Burton a close second. Clark was so athletic and ran the floor that he really got some hang time on some of his dunks. Burton probably was a lot more "thunderous" dunks than Clark did because of his size and strength but Clark was just a freak and defied gravity at times.
I was at that game, it was loud, but paled in comparison to the OSU game when Fred and Loren played. I couldn’t understand the person next to me. The whole place shook.

Jriddge28

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 19, 2020
Richard Evans was had a ridiculous vertical, but never got to show it in game. He went chest to chest with Fizer at the rec and almost tore the rim down. The entire gym lost it. Great college memory.

do4CY

Aug 30, 2020
I was a big fan of Cato. What Clark and Burton could do was impressive though.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
Abdul-Aziz Is the first ISU player I remember dunking, White dunking was him taking out frustrations on the rim.

Reactions: t-noah

cyfan4St8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2008
Iowa
Ok my list is ...
1) Burton
2) Clark
3) my dark horse David Hickman he didn’t play much but when he did that guy would jump out of the gym. I always remember him also for having his socks pulled up to his knees lol.