Best Dunker in ISU History?

BringBackJohnny

Feb 11, 2009
Ames
Pretty sure my life was changed by watching a beautiful Stevie Johnson windmill dunk when I was about 10 yrs old. I miss real basketball. Maybe next year.... Go Cubs.

Reactions: erinmd32

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Say what you want about Morgan's coaching style -- even though they didn't win as much as they probably should have, that was some fun ball to watch.

Kind of ironic that the big farm kid from Iowa was the one that made that team work. Our guards could play super aggressive in the zone with Homan protecting the rim. They had that zone dialed in at the end of the 04-05 season. Ran into a freight train in UNC in the 2nd round, but that team was playing really well, and it was nice to get back to the tourney.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Burtons dunk over Caleb Swanigan to tie the game against Purdue (after being down 10-15 in the second half) - completely gets overlooked given the end of that game... but damn that one ranked up there for me being in person.

We just gave it to Burton for 5 straight possessions and you just knew he was going to dunk on him from the first dribble.

Burton was really really good at that point. My friend who doesn't pay much attention to college basketball, Iowa fan, texted me during this stretch and said "how do I not know who this Burton guy is?"

Reactions: isutrevman

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I think you can make an argument for a bunch of guys but I feel like if you got them all together in their prime, Burton could do things that no one else could. He'd be my guy in a dunk contest like event.

Reactions: CycloneVet

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
I went to school during the dark days of 2005-2010... but I'm glad I got to watch the likes of Rahshon Clark and Craig Brackins in person.

But the Burton dunks in the modern era are outstanding. Naderangelo is probably my favorite. I, too, miss good basketball...

• Agree
Reactions: quasistellar

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Grayer. No one has his combination of effortless, graceful power, on what were often high skill level dunks.

Burton was a beast though.

Reactions: cyfanatic

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Burton probably the best overall (close call)

Clark's dunk against UVA is probably the best single dunk of all time

Clark's dunk against UVA was great yes, but the outlet pass, then the behind-the-back assist by Blaylock, were both as good or better. that was some basketball!

• Agree
Reactions: quasistellar

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I don’t think Clark was necessarily the flashiest dunker, but seemed like he dunked 15 times a game. And even more ridiculously was how well he read to bounces off the rim for one handed put back throw downs. I’m not sure if my mind is blown watching those clips because of how viciously he throws them down, or because it’s been so long since I’ve seen Iowa State with an offensive rebound.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Burton probably the best overall (close call)

Clark's dunk against UVA is probably the best single dunk of all time

Lol I was one of those morons swimming in a sea of crazy in cyclone alley after Clark's dunk against Virginia. I think I got permanent hearing damage from that game.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
The minivan rules!

Who can forget this massive two handed power throwdown to tie the game!

And he has taken his hops to a hole new level since going pro!

Thanks for reminding us of one of ISU all-time bests! Not dunking per se, but man tha clip of him and reverse dunk (recently?) with the Jazz! Impressive!

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I suppose this might be a good time to mention Don Smith? No vids to proove it but wasn't he a part of the reason the dunk got banned for a time? (Iba, Alcindor also).

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Holy crap. I just spotted myself in the crowd. That was one of my favorite all time teams. Willoughby was such a pure shooter.
That '97 team was good! and fun to watch. JC Holloway didn't get enough credit for being a great floor general. How about Kenny Pratt? For all of 6-4" (if that) he was sometimes unstoppable in the middle. And what to say about Cato! Enough said. Of course, Willoughby one of my favorite players!