Best Dunker in ISU History?

erinmd32

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2015
Anyone remember when Reggie Hayward would dunk at Hilton before games in the 2000-2001 era.

As you can imagine it was incredibly impressive.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Rashon Clark gets my vote because of the insane put-backs. No one could fly above the rim like him. Burton and Cato are unrivaled in pure power.

Gotta give a shout-out to Jackson Vroman. He had pretty good hops for a white dude, and was on the finishing end of a lot of alley-oop assists from Stinson & Blaylock. Good luck finding any of his highlights though.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
Got into this on KXnO today.

My immediate thought was Rahshon Clark.

But Deonte Burton ....

Burton had more high profile games/dunks but Clark was a total freak.

Got a lot of Jeff Grayer ...

Who you got and why?
Rashon Clark for sure, remember him from my high school days.

Honorable mention to me would be Dustin Hogue, b/c of the lift off. On some of his dunks his head would be AT the rim, crazy vertical.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Jeff Grayer I seem to recall did a reverse 2 handed slam against MSU.
When he played with Hornacek dude was a dunking machine.

Terrence Allen all 6 foot of him posterizing 6'10" Michael Payne when they played Iowa. T was 130 pounds soaking wet

Guy had the best vertical of any guy i had seen at ISU.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Fred at 3:30

I do remember Stevie Johnson getting some nice dunks on the break.

Reactions: t-noah

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I don't think Wigginton has the volume to be considered the best dunker in Iowa State history, but that one is definitely on the short list for best single dunks.
Great dunk by Wig. I've seen this about 10x now in thread and it just occured to me. How come no foul on OU that play? Yeah he slammed it so hard Wig created a little backward momentum. But #3 for OU helped matters quite a bit, IMO.

Reactions: isutrevman

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Rashon Clark is the answer.

But my sleeper pick is Mike Taylor. For a smaller guy he'd put down some impressive dunks.

I hadn't seen this thread before today, but these were my two thoughts. Rahshon is the clear answer, and he had the passion for it. But I loved watching Mike Taylor play - his dunks could really surprise you, as could his 3-game when he was on.

Cypwr

Mar 18, 2006
Ameskeny
Norman Brown somewhere around 1990. Nobody is going to remember him because he only got playing time in one of his years in Ames. He may not of had dunks in games at ISU but his rep was he won a few high school dunk contest at all star events, He also won or should of won (They gave it to Teri Woods one year) the dunk contest at the preseason basketball showcase thingy they use to put on, ISU's version of midnight madness back in the day. Norman could put on a show when it came dunking.

Last edited:
Reactions: erinmd32

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
Norman Brown somewhere around 1990. Nobody is going to remember him because he only got playing time in one of his years in Ames. He may not of had dunks in games at ISU but his rep was he won a few high school dunk contest at all star events, He also won or should of won (They gave it to Teri Woods one year) the dunk contest at the preseason basketball showcase thingy they use to put on, ISU's version of midnight madness back in the day. Norman could put on a show when it came dunking.
Along those lines, there was a dude that didn't play much until his senior year and even then was a role player, but would absolutely tear up folks during the summer leagues dunking on every fool in his way. I believe his name was Richard Evans..??? I'm sure someone remembers and will correct me if I'm wrong.

sandiego

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 14, 2006
Chattanooga, TN
Does anyone have video of the Chris Allen dunk against Kentucky? That was one of the most where did that come from dunks I can remember. I don't think he had a dunk all year, then showed up with a throw down like no other!

erinmd32

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2015
Along those lines, there was a dude that didn't play much until his senior year and even then was a role player, but would absolutely tear up folks during the summer leagues dunking on every fool in his way. I believe his name was Richard Evans..??? I'm sure someone remembers and will correct me if I'm wrong.

Richard Evans would always dunk before games during warm-ups and it was insane. He was so strong.

And I love a Norman Brown reference.

Thorongil Clone

Gone to Numenor
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2021
Does anyone have video of the Chris Allen dunk against Kentucky? That was one of the most where did that come from dunks I can remember. I don't think he had a dunk all year, then showed up with a throw down like no other!

Reactions: Cypwr

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron