Best Dunker in ISU History?

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Burton probably the best overall (close call)

Clark's dunk against UVA is probably the best single dunk of all time

I’ll agree that the play is awesome, sure, but mainly because of the passes before the dunk. The actual dunk is not that great. Burton’s in the Big 12 championship was much more impressive

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Got into this on KXnO today.

My immediate thought was Rahshon Clark.

But Deonte Burton ....

Burton had more high profile games/dunks but Clark was a total freak.

Got a lot of Jeff Grayer ...

Who you got and why?

Grayer, Burton, Cato, Fizer, White, Clark. Rank them how you please.

Last edited:
Reactions: NWICY and cyfanatic

bsaltyman

Drinker of Ames Lager
SuperFanatic
Sep 20, 2012
Ames, IA
I would say that Rahshon Clark is the best dunker because of the freak athleticism he had. The man could jump out of the gym.

Burton could dunk with more power though, and his dunk against WVU in the Big 12 championship is my favorite dunk of any Cyclone ever.

I’ll admit that I’m too young to remember Grayer.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
This one dunk requires Fizer votes....

I was at this game as a student at ISU at the time. Have had season tickets every year after graduating and to this day I don't think Hilton was ever as loud at a given moment than it was after that dunk. That was the "Iowa State is the real deal" moment of that magical season and to me was the moment the nation took notice that we were going to contend in March. Coming into that game Mihm at the time was projected at the possible #1 overall pick of the upcoming NBA draft and Fizer just manhandled him and scored 35 points that game. That dunk is probably one of the most memorable and significant dunks in ISU history.

As for best dunker it's Clark with Burton a close second. Clark was so athletic and ran the floor that he really got some hang time on some of his dunks. Burton probably was a lot more "thunderous" dunks than Clark did because of his size and strength but Clark was just a freak and defied gravity at times.

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
Cato was underrated. Nothing too flashy but he dunked everything. Always enjoyed watching Will Blaylock dunk just because of his size.

Nader was also a good dunker.
Trying to find a video clip of Kato’s monster dunk in the 97 game to get to sweet 16. He took a pass along the right sideline in transition, took a couple dribbles and the took off from what seemed like 15 feet away along the baseline and almost tore the roof off the building with 2 hands. Might be the greatest dunk in Cyclone history. Kudos to anyone who can find it.

Reactions: Gunnerclone

KCy

Jul 20, 2008
Kansas City
I was at this game as a student at ISU at the time. Have had season tickets every year after graduating and to this day I don't think Hilton was ever as loud at a given moment than it was after that dunk. That was the "Iowa State is the real deal" moment of that magical season and to me was the moment the nation took notice that we were going to contend in March. Coming into that game Mihm at the time was projected at the possible #1 overall pick of the upcoming NBA draft and Fizer just manhandled him and scored 35 points that game. That dunk is probably one of the most memorable and significant dunks in ISU history.

Agreed. I was screaming and couldn't hear myself. Upper level too. By far the loudest hilton has ever been.

Reactions: CYdTracked

cymac2408

Jul 4, 2013
Urbandale IA
Royce's dunk against UConn was a nice way to start our return to the dance
My son and I were sitting 4 rows behind UCONNs bench. The day before the game, Drummond mentioned that Royce wasn’t **** in so many words. Royce was lighting Drummond up and after the dunk, Coach Calhoun was in Drummonds face screaming at him. He was doing it for so long Drummond sat back in his chair with his hands on his head. Calhoun still hollering and Drummond started clapping in Calhouns face. I do not believe Drummond got off the bench after that.

Even with all that, Rashon still the best dunker ISU has ever had.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Grayer would have been but he was around before dunks got real flashy. Burton and Clark both had flair. Burton brought the thunder. Clark brought the finesse

Reactions: SolarGarlic