Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Lab out of Coralville is supposed to be making millions of test kits starting this week. Im guessing several other labs in the country are doing the same now.

500k kits were flown in on monday and distributed out. Reports said they would have 1.9MM kits by yesterday/today. So that should be a very big supply to get rolling. Might also be why the numbers are jumping because more testing is being done.

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
  • Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
500k kits were flown in on monday and distributed out. Reports said they would have 1.9MM kits by yesterday/today. So that should be a very big supply to get rolling. Might also be why the numbers are jumping because more testing is being done.

I was told by my Dr.'s office results were taking around 10 days so in about two weeks let's see where we are.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

The number's going to explode due to testing.

Of course, it won't mean that the actual infection rate is exploding, but that's not how people will react.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center

Of course, it won't mean that the actual infection rate is exploding, but that's not how people will react.
i honestly get the sense this won't be as bad as everyone is thinking. the stock market is booming today, money is flowing from the feds, cases i iowa not really rising/no deaths

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
i honestly get the sense this won't be as bad as everyone is thinking. the stock market is booming today, money is flowing from the feds, cases i iowa not really rising/no deaths

I hope you're right, but this isn't known and at the same time lack of tests is holding it back from being known.

Deaths...well, at least we can tell if someone's dead.

• Funny
Reactions: aauummm

Trice

Apr 1, 2010

Well, they've spent weeks now underreacting because it's "only 20" or whatever cases when it was certainly vastly more than that. So yeah, it'll snap people to attention when numbers start to really shoot up, but that's probably the anxiety level they should have had two weeks ago.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

you’re kidding, right? It’s up 300 points. It’ll probably drop another 1000 tomorrow.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Can we honestly say at this point that nobody in Iowa has died from coronavirus given the lack of testing?

Nope, and if anyone dies of anything that's not confirmed Covid, the 'See? People die all the time.' crowd will just stick closer to that narrative.

garn91

Jun 1, 2006
Ankeny

6 new cases yesterday, Governor has a presser at 3:30, I honestly don't expect to see the Governor proclamation to expire at the end of the month. Wait until the idiots return from spring break on south beach to their hometown's and spreading God only knows what.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Well, they've spent weeks now underreacting because it's "only 20" or whatever cases when it was certainly vastly more than that. So yeah, it'll snap people to attention when numbers start to really shoot up, but that's probably the anxiety level they should have had two weeks ago.

But the ones we know about are likely the serious ones. Hopefully those reported with increased testing will be mostly the minor cases.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

I don't think we'll see a ton of deaths, but Iowa's number will rise quite a bit as we actually test.

I think what we'll see is that for most people, they're able to deal with COVID-19 without being hospitalized, but there's going to be a lot of people that have it that we currently haven't identified.

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
i've had a headache and dry cough for a week. no fever. but i always get sick in early march with these exact symptoms.

Same. Thankfully I've also had itchy eyes and my allergies are pretty stupid this time of year. I had talked my Dr about being tested but it was a "no" even though I had just spent a week in Spain (this was a month ago).

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I know people that donate plasma that the first thing they check is your temp now. You used to have to do bunch of questions on the computer, get a finger poke and then check your temp. If your temp is high, of which I don't know what they would consider high, you get deferred for 14 days.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
6 new cases yesterday, Governor has a presser at 3:30, I honestly don't expect to see the Governor proclamation to expire at the end of the month. Wait until the idiots return from spring break on south beach to their hometown's and spreading God only knows what.

Shelter-in-place order coming at 3:30, maybe? I also wonder about any Iowa resident currently out of state. What's the plan for anyone on spring break and traveling back soon?

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Why aren't all of the things we think we are going to need appearing instantly at our demand, or at least after a few minutes of loading, like what happens on video games? Damn it I want answers!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Support Us

Become a patron