Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
South Korea's curve says ask them. They tested extensively and flattened the curve like no other nation thus far.

right and maybe we couldn’t have been as good as South Korea but we could have been SO SO much better.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
South Korea's curve says ask them. They tested extensively and flattened the curve like no other nation thus far.
Let's talk about the size of South Korea compared to the size of the United States..

South Korea: 38,691 sq. mi. ; population = about 52 million people

United States: 3.797 million sq. mi. ; population = about 329 million people

Of course it's going to be easier to contain in South Korea compared to the United States. There are so many different factors into why the United States is probably going to have a much harder time than some other countries.

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
Let's talk about the size of South Korea compared to the size of the United States..

Of course it's going to be easier to contain in South Korea compared to the United States. There are so many different factors into why the United States is probably going to have a much harder time than some other countries.
Let's talk about nations that have tested extensively and flattened the curve.

I'm not saying it's easy.

But, it worked. It's one of, if not the ONLY, nation to get the curve flattened early. I am choosing not to ignore or discard an option because of scalability.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

But, it worked. It's one of, if not the ONLY, nation to get the curve flattened early. I am choosing not to ignore or discard an option because of scalability.
We don't have to ignore what South Korea has been doing. But I think it'd be hard for us to follow their criteria in how they were able to flatten the curve.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

It's going to spread much faster in a country like South Korea that has 1,344 people per square mile. The US has 87.

Our low population density can be an advantage.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
There were grades that were posted for each state and how they're handling testing. Iowa got a D, along with 3 or 4 other states. So we've been one of the worst states so far regarding that. I read somewhere that many states are not far behind New York as far as "the curve" goes, and the inadequate testing Iowa has done so far is just going to continue us down that path.

I can't seem to find it now but I was looking at a graph earlier that charted each state's number of known cases to New York's. Iowa's had leveled off at a much better rate than New York thus far.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
It's going to spread much faster in a country like South Korea that has 1,344 people per square mile. The US has 87.

Yes that certainly is an advantage, however you can look at a variety of reasons as to why this will be harder. They can essentially lock down their entire country like we do an entire state. They can track those who tested positive using the GPS on their phones, while there is no way we will do such a thing. They can take a lot more drastic measures and the people will probably be on board, while our country's citizens are less likely to do so.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009

Culture is IMHO a bigger factor than even testing. Korea & Japan (especially) have a very communal culture where the group is considered more important than the individual. That's why Japanese wear masks when they are sick- not to protect ME but to protect YOU. That's a regular thing there, not just a now thing.

On top of that, ROK government can be a LOT more draconian than what we would ever tolerate here.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Culture is IMHO a bigger factor than even testing. Korea & Japan (especially) have a very communal culture where the group is considered more important than the individual. That's why Japanese wear masks when they are sick- not to protect ME but to protect YOU. That's a regular thing there, not just a now thing.

On top of that, ROK government can be a LOT more draconian than what we would ever tolerate here.
They also don’t have something else to deal with. That’s the biggest advantage.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Said it earlier but so can our culture's general 'isolation' that we already do. Other cultures have generations that live together, and I think are much more connected. We hardly even know our neighbors in a lot of places.

My big concern is the general idea of 'eat healthy, and exercise' being ignored for so long is just gonna magnify this problem, or already has.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I know this has been discussed a lot, but a new study came out that suggests there is increasing evidence that higher temperatures and humidity slow the spread of the virus. It doesn't eliminate it, but sounds like it shortens the life span of it to infect people. Still early on though.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/heal...ignificantly-reduce-spread-of-covid-19/703418

So, I don't wanna hear anyone b****ing about the humidity in the middle of July this summer.

Last edited:

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
Lab out of Coralville is supposed to be making millions of test kits starting this week. Im guessing several other labs in the country are doing the same now.
My step-daughter works in that lab. She reported they have things ramped up to maximum output with 3 different shifts going round the clock!

Status
Not open for further replies.