Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Let's talk about the size of South Korea compared to the size of the United States..

South Korea: 38,691 sq. mi. ; population = about 52 million people

United States: 3.797 million sq. mi. ; population = about 329 million people

Of course it's going to be easier to contain in South Korea compared to the United States. There are so many different factors into why the United States is probably going to have a much harder time than some other countries.

That, and South Korea has water on three sides and a pretty tight border to the North.

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
Michigan cases increased from 119 to 336 in a day.

Expanded testing in Iowa will likely yield similar results. There are going to be a lot more than 39 confirmed cases after the next few days.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

Expanded testing in Iowa will likely yield similar results. There are going to be a lot more than 39 confirmed cases after the next few days.

Makes you wonder how many people actually have it

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL

I know it sucked not having enough test kits but maybe there's a silver lining if the cases reported (not new infections, just testing those already showing symptoms) jump - some of these idiots that are not taking it seriously may get a jolt to their psyche.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Whoever reports out the numbers, needs to be very precise with how they report the information.

I think this was brought up this morning (think it was President's presser). Basically expect the cases to freaking explode, but don't freak out since it's due to more testing. They estimated about 86% of infected people currently have no idea they are infected.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Why aren't all of the things we think we are going to need appearing instantly at our demand, or at least after a few minutes of loading, like what happens on video games? Damn it I want answers!!!

I made a grocery run to Hy Vee this morning. They were still completely out of TP, paper towels, hand sanitizer, disinfectant wipes, and hand soap but they were in OK shape on the rest. The problem now is that their grocery delivery program is hopelessly overwhelmed. I tried putting my order in last night and the next available time slot was next Wednesday. So basically I got groceries today and tonight I'll have to make an educated guess about what we'll need in a week and get the order in already if I want to avoid actually going in the store.

• Informative
Reactions: isutrevman

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
How can you enforce this?

North Korea style:
iu

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Does anyone think we'll actually get the "shelter in place" mandate?

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
I made a grocery run to Hy Vee this morning. They were still completely out of TP, paper towels, hand sanitizer, disinfectant wipes, and hand soap but they were in OK shape on the rest. The problem now is that their grocery delivery program is hopelessly overwhelmed. I tried putting my order in last night and the next available time slot was next Wednesday. So basically I got groceries today and tonight I'll have to make an educated guess about what we'll need in a week and get the order in already if I want to avoid actually going in the store.

Yeah, everything is going to take time. Things don't just appear out of thin air and aren't instantly beamed somewhere like in Star Trek.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Yeah, everything is going to take time. Things don't just appear out of thin air and aren't instantly beamed somewhere like in Star Trek.

Yep. I chatted with the store manager for a bit and he figures in a month or so they'll be choking on inventory when the supply finally catches up with the drastic spike in demand. In the meantime it's been a really tough week for grocery stores. All the employees were looking pretty frazzled today. But I suppose I did, too.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I tend to agree. It's harsh, but they took that risk when they left. Mandatory quarantine for two weeks would be the safe play; otherwise we're undoing any good that has been done in the last week with social distancing.

Yeah I have coworkers who were hell bent on going on their spring break with their family members...my work (school) is shut down. I've been thinking about if they're really going to be that stupid about this just for personal pleasure.

Status
Not open for further replies.