FB Season Tix Update from Pollard

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Pardon me for asking, but I’m visually (and twitter) impaired. Matter of fact, sitting at home after cataract surgery. Am I reading that correctly as 43,570 sold so far, and 45,000 the goal?
Correct

Reactions: Aclone

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
Pardon me for asking, but I’m visually (and twitter) impaired. Matter of fact, sitting at home after cataract surgery. Am I reading that correctly as 43,570 sold so far, and 45,000 the goal?

That's the way I take it. 45k is probably the next easy (and realistic) number to set for a goal. No point in putting 50k as a goal and not being able to hit it (much better to achieve a goal).

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC

Now we have to take down the average attendance record 57,931 (2017) and total season attendance record 392,072 (2018).

It would be great to get over 400k for the year... we were close last year, but never got to full capacity in our 7 home games. Highest total was OU at 58,479. We also had Akron, Baylor and KSU games with under 55k attendance.

In 2017, we got to the 61,500 capacity in 3 of the 6 home games that year (uni, iowa, oklahoma state) which helped us get the record per game attendance of 57,931. We also had a terrible turnout (51k) for the Texas game (Thr night that year). If we can stay above 55k for every game and sellout the first two like we did in 2017 we could get over 400k and average over 58k for the first time ever... assuming good turn out for the TCU, OSU, Texas games.

Last edited:

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
assuming good turn out for the TCU, OSU, Texas games.

I assume TCU will be great attendance, barring bad weather. Early october game, hopefully we're sitting at 4-0, first conference home game.

OSU will be homecoming, and that's usually well attended.

Texas usually brings a decent number of fans for how far away they are, how well our own fans buy in for a november game probably depends how the season's going. In some sort of miracle situation where we're 9-0 that game is sold out guaranteed. If we're 6-3 probably not.

That Kansas game is probably the biggest drain on our attendance numbers. They won't bring many fans, and again our attendance for a thanksgiving week game probably depends on how we're doing. Thankfully student tickets count whether they show up or not.

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
These are amazing numbers to someone who attended ISU in the mid/late 90's. We had the whole Troy Davis thing going and still didn't sniff this type of attendance. I remember sitting on frozen seats for late season Kansas State game that looked like it had 10,000 people there.

Those were some fun years, though, as Davis was amazing to watch and ISU was actually on the map a bit due to his climb towards 2000 yards twice.

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
I assume TCU will be great attendance, barring bad weather. Early october game, hopefully we're sitting at 4-0, first conference home game.

OSU will be homecoming, and that's usually well attended.

Texas usually brings a decent number of fans for how far away they are, how well our own fans buy in for a november game probably depends how the season's going. In some sort of miracle situation where we're 9-0 that game is sold out guaranteed. If we're 6-3 probably not.

That Kansas game is probably the biggest drain on our attendance numbers. They won't bring many fans, and again our attendance for a thanksgiving week game probably depends on how we're doing. Thankfully student tickets count whether they show up or not.

Ya... what surprised me looking back at the numbers was the OSU game in 2017 on Nov 11th. We were coming off the loss at wvu with a record of 6-3 and we had a sell out (61,500). Probably helped that it is was the last home game of the year and the first bowl season since 2012....

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
These are amazing numbers to someone who attended ISU in the mid/late 90's. We had the whole Troy Davis thing going and still didn't sniff this type of attendance. I remember sitting on frozen seats for late season Kansas State game that looked like it had 10,000 people there.

Those were some fun years, though, as Davis was amazing to watch and ISU was actually on the map a bit due to his climb towards 2000 yards twice.
I was thinking the same thing. A big crowd for the start of most games in the 1990s would be 25,000. And half would be out in the lots drinking for the second half.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Ya... what surprised me looking back at the numbers was the OSU game in 2017 on Nov 11th. We were coming off the loss at wvu with a record of 6-3 and we had a sell out (61,500). Probably helped that it is was the last home game of the year and the first bowl season since 2012....
Weren’t there $11 (11/11) tickets for that game?

• Agree
Reactions: beentherebefore

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

The good ol' days when we could yell insults at Coach Walden and be sure he could hear us over the apathy of the crowd.

(I'm a little Pre-McCarney)

• Agree
Reactions: AlaCyclone

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Yes, and hopefully the team will be good enough that those days are over.

Still, I always enjoyed buying cheap tickets in the old days.
Not sure you should get your hopes up. “Jayhawks” and “Thanksgiving break" aren’t the greatest combination.

Last edited:

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Now we have to take down the average attendance record 57,931 (2017) and total season attendance record 392,072 (2018).

It would be great to get over 400k for the year... we were close last year, but never got to full capacity in our 7 home games. Highest total was OU at 58,479. We also had Akron, Baylor and KSU games with under 55k attendance.

In 2017, we got to the 61,500 capacity in 3 of the 6 home games that year (uni, iowa, oklahoma state) which helped us get the record per game attendance of 57,931. We also had a terrible turnout (51k) for the Texas game (Thr night that year). If we can stay above 55k for every game and sellout the first two like we did in 2017 we could get over 400k and average over 58k for the first time ever... assuming good turn out for the TCU, OSU, Texas games.

Having UNI and Iowa both at home mean we should sell out both of those games, LA Monroe will be a struggle to fill up the stadium, they will bring no one at all, but if we are coming off an Iowa win, that should help. Kansas on the 23rd of Nov will be a struggle. Thanksgiving weekend, the students will be gone, and KU will bring no one to the game.
Not having games on Thursday nights will help attendence a lot, many people just cannot get off work and get to Ames for a Thursday night game, and I am sure the walk up and single game tickets to those games are low.
Great for PR and recruiting but not for the fans.

Reactions: cymonw1980

every_yard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2006
Not sure you should get your hopes up. “Jayhawks” and “Thanksgiving weekend” aren’t the greatest combination.

Umm...the 23rd isn’t Thanksgiving weekend. I think students will be gone, but it’s the Saturday before Thanksgiving.

• Informative
Reactions: Aclone

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Not sure you should get your hopes up. “Jayhawks” and “Thanksgiving weekend” aren’t the greatest combination.
If this team is somehow in the hunt for the Big 12 title game, there damn sure should be a big crowd for that game. And Mrs. Gaggi and I are planning on going to Manhattan the next week for the K-State game.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron