FRED HOIBERG TO OHIO ST?

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
So why does Ohio State have better relationships with AAU programs than Iowa State? The reason they got rid of Matta was his lack of recruiting. And he'd been there for a decade.

Part of the problem is we haven't been able to keep a freaking coach for more than 5 years for the last 27 years. That's a huge problem and it would be nice if we could manage to hang onto Prohm for longer than Fred, but somehow I bet he will be in a better situation in about 2 years too!
Time will tell, Ohio state is just a little bit bigger name than Iowa state, I hate saying that but it's true. Yes we need to hang on to successfull coaches.

DaHiltonHaus1

Apr 28, 2017
Fred Hoiberg: "Anytime your name is associated with great job, it's an honor. But I'm head coach of the Bulls/have no intention of leaving." - KC Johnson on Twitter

I knew Fred was smart.

Reactions: mj4cy

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
This would leave Ohio State fans disappointed. He turned around our program into a pretty good team, but Ohio State wants more than that. He doesn't emphasize defense enough to build a great team. If he were smart he'd stay in Chicago and head to a smaller school another year. Fred is a nice guy and I like him but I hope he doesn't go because he would crumble under that pressure.

Good lord, he'd probably feel less pressure there than at ISU or Chicago.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I actually agree with this completely. I'm not butthurt he left. He scammed his way into 5 million a year for 5 years with the Bulls. Who wouldn't do that? Who wouldn't also take a few horrible years at Chicago and parlay(scam) it into even more money possibly with OSU? Everyone would I'm guessing. Why not?

Yes, Fred did do great things here, and Prohm has done just as much already basically though. Fred held himself with class, can't argue with that either. And as you said, and I agree, I'm a Prohm guy now, always an ISU guy, and don't particularly care about Fred anymore.

My only point was that I'm not sure anyone who has done so little has ever parlayed that into being one of the highest paid basketball coaches on the planet? Good for Fred, but geeeez.... he doesn't have much on his resume really for the kind of coin he's bringing down.

How did he scam his way into money?

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I actually agree with this completely. I'm not butthurt he left. He scammed his way into 5 million a year for 5 years with the Bulls. Who wouldn't do that? Who wouldn't also take a few horrible years at Chicago and parlay(scam) it into even more money possibly with OSU? Everyone would I'm guessing. Why not?

Yes, Fred did do great things here, and Prohm has done just as much already basically though. Fred held himself with class, can't argue with that either. And as you said, and I agree, I'm a Prohm guy now, always an ISU guy, and don't particularly care about Fred anymore.

My only point was that I'm not sure anyone who has done so little has ever parlayed that into being one of the highest paid basketball coaches on the planet? Good for Fred, but geeeez.... he doesn't have much on his resume really for the kind of coin he's bringing down.

So you would turn down the money he is offered if you were him? Didn't think so.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO

I don't think you know what "scam" means.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I have a hard on for Fred because I'm not butthurt he left?

Get over it. It was 2 years ago. He did great things for ISU and always held himself with class. I'm a Prohm guy now and more importantly, I'm an ISU guy.

Good lord sensitive internet today...
Your butthurt is still this bad? Fred really hurt you, but hopefully you can get over it.

If you're identifying yourself as " " guy, you're taking this way too personally.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
So you would turn down the money he is offered if you were him? Didn't think so.

Ummmm, can you read? Where did I say that Fred should have turned down the money? I'll be waiting.

"Scam" is probably not the best of words I should have used though. Maybe "tricked", or "conned" would have been a lot better now that I think about it.

But it's not a bad thing. If I could scam, trick, or con my way, legally, into 25 million bucks I'd do it in a second. I'm only saying that Fred's resume is in no way worth the kind of money he's made, but that's not his fault. Good for him.

I will stand by the fact that I just don't think Fred liked it here very much, which some on here refuse to believe for some reason?

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Ummmm, can you read? Where did I say that Fred should have turned down the money? I'll be waiting.

"Scam" is probably not the best of words I should have used though. Maybe "tricked", or "conned" would have been a lot better now that I think about it.

But it's not a bad thing. If I could scam, trick, or con my way, legally, into 25 million bucks I'd do it in a second. I'm only saying that Fred's resume is in no way worth the kind of money he's made, but that's not his fault. Good for him.

I will stand by the fact that I just don't think Fred liked it here very much, which some on here refuse to believe for some reason?

Nope.