FRED HOIBERG TO OHIO ST?

salennon07

Aug 4, 2016
I couldn't find the article... but I still remember an interview with him where was quoted (after taking the Bulls job) about interviewing for the Gopher job and he said something along the lines that after that interview he realized that he would never coach college basketball at a school other than ISU.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
If Fred goes to OSU, then it just says that he truly wasn't happy at ISU IMO. It wasn't about not liking recruiting, or just leaving for his "dream job" any longer if he takes the OSU job. It is a big slap in the face of ISU and the fans.

In fact, if Fred gets close to 6 million a year to coach OSU, then he's easily the biggest scammer in the history of coaching IMO. What has he really done to earn the money he's earning? Got ISU to the Sweet Sixteen a time or two? He somehow turned that into a 5 year 25 million dollar deal to coach the Bulls? Wut? How?

And in Chicago he's done absolutely NOTHING, and is likely on the hot seat, so hey, why not jump at the shot to turn that into 6 million a year at OSU for several more years before people begin to realize you just aren't that great, right? I mean why not? Fred would be getting paid more than both Coach K and Bill Self.... for doing what? Taking ISU to a a couple Sweet Sixteens? Coach K and Bill Self do that nearly every single year and have won multiple titles.

So as I say, you can't blame Fred at all, but talk about a guy that has scammed his way into tons and tons of money. Good on him.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
If Fred goes to OSU, then it just says that he truly wasn't happy at ISU IMO. It wasn't about not liking recruiting, or just leaving for his "dream job" any longer if he takes the OSU job. It is a big slap in the face of ISU and the fans.

In fact, if Fred gets close to 6 million a year to coach OSU, then he's easily the biggest scammer in the history of coaching IMO. What has he really done to earn the money he's earning? Got ISU to the Sweet Sixteen a time or two? He somehow turned that into a 5 year 25 million dollar deal to coach the Bulls? Wut? How?

And in Chicago he's done absolutely NOTHING, and is likely on the hot seat, so hey, why not jump at the shot to turn that into 6 million a year at OSU for several more years before people begin to realize you just aren't that great, right? I mean why not? Fred would be getting paid more than both Coach K and Bill Self.... for doing what? Taking ISU to a a couple Sweet Sixteens? Coach K and Bill Self do that nearly every single year and have won multiple titles.

So as I say, you can't blame Fred at all, but talk about a guy that has scammed his way into tons and tons of money. Good on him.

He took Iowa state to one sweet 16. His players who he recruited got to another one, but that coach deserves some credit too.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

You have outdone your self clonedude. Bravo.

• Funny
Reactions: Doc and Brandon

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
I have no bones about it. If Fred feels that Chicago isn't gonna work out like he thought and has this possible opportunity then go for it. Do what's best for you, not us arm chair QB's on a free message board site.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
He took Iowa state to one sweet 16. His players who he recruited got to another one, but that coach deserves some credit too.

Ok, so 1 trip to the Sweet Sixteen is deserving of 5-6 million at Ohio State? Potentially more than Coach K and Bill Self make? There is no way OSU could justify paying Hoiberg that kind of money with a straight face.

And.... if McDoormat ends up going to OSU and thriving there, I just don't have an explanation for his huge failure at ISU. That would mean he was VERY successful at UNI, Creighton, and Ohio State, but for some reason couldn't do squat at ISU. That wouldn't make any sense.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
Ok, so 1 trip to the Sweet Sixteen is deserving of 5-6 million at Ohio State? Potentially more than Coach K and Bill Self make? There is no way OSU could justify paying Hoiberg that kind of money with a straight face.

And.... if McDoormat ends up going to OSU and thriving there, I just don't have an explanation for his huge failure at ISU. That would mean he was VERY successful at UNI, Creighton, and Ohio State, but for some reason couldn't do squat at ISU. That wouldn't make any sense.
How did you escape?

• Winner
Reactions: Doc

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
A lot of people need to grow up in this thread. He's done nothing but represent ISU with 100% integrity and passion in his life. He revived our program....people forget how bad it was before he came.

He saw an opportunity to chase his dream and got to do that. He also knows he may not last past next year. Ohio State would be a great job and wouldn't directly interfere with ISU besides an occasional tournament game.

If he takes the job, good for him and I wish him well. I hope he beats Iowa every year. I know first and foremost I'll always be a cyclone and that comes before any person. However, no reason to have sour grapes. Hoiberg is a legend at ISU and always will be.