FRED HOIBERG TO OHIO ST?

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Your butthurt is still this bad? Fred really hurt you, but hopefully you can get over it.

If you're identifying yourself as " " guy, you're taking this way too personally.

I hated to see Fred go but I understood it. I am happy with where the program is now and am not sure why you're trolling someone of your own fanbase. At the end of the day it's sports.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Ummmm, can you read? Where did I say that Fred should have turned down the money? I'll be waiting.

"Scam" is probably not the best of words I should have used though. Maybe "tricked", or "conned" would have been a lot better now that I think about it.

But it's not a bad thing. If I could scam, trick, or con my way, legally, into 25 million bucks I'd do it in a second. I'm only saying that Fred's resume is in no way worth the kind of money he's made, but that's not his fault. Good for him.

I will stand by the fact that I just don't think Fred liked it here very much, which some on here refuse to believe for some reason?

Get a dictionary.

• Informative
Reactions: Doc and aauummm

isu83

May 5, 2010
I couldn't find the article... but I still remember an interview with him where was quoted (after taking the Bulls job) about interviewing for the Gopher job and he said something along the lines that after that interview he realized that he would never coach college basketball at a school other than ISU.
I honestly dont know how well Fred would do in today's recruiting climate. The success he had was largely based on the transfer realm of recruiting, of which he was on the forefront nationally. As CW has mentioned before, now everybody is taking transfers. Its a lot harder to get the star transfers today than it was 5-8 years ago, and we all know Fred is not the biggest fan of transitional recruiting. I hope I am wrong, but I dont know how well he would be recruiting long term if he was to return to the college ranks.

He is still one of the premier in-game coaches in the country, but the recruiting would be tough on him now that transfers are harder to get.
But at OSU he should be able to get the transfers. But who knows.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
If Fred goes to OSU, then it just says that he truly wasn't happy at ISU IMO. It wasn't about not liking recruiting, or just leaving for his "dream job" any longer if he takes the OSU job. It is a big slap in the face of ISU and the fans.

In fact, if Fred gets close to 6 million a year to coach OSU, then he's easily the biggest scammer in the history of coaching IMO. What has he really done to earn the money he's earning? Got ISU to the Sweet Sixteen a time or two? He somehow turned that into a 5 year 25 million dollar deal to coach the Bulls? Wut? How?

And in Chicago he's done absolutely NOTHING, and is likely on the hot seat, so hey, why not jump at the shot to turn that into 6 million a year at OSU for several more years before people begin to realize you just aren't that great, right? I mean why not? Fred would be getting paid more than both Coach K and Bill Self.... for doing what? Taking ISU to a a couple Sweet Sixteens? Coach K and Bill Self do that nearly every single year and have won multiple titles.

So as I say, you can't blame Fred at all, but talk about a guy that has scammed his way into tons and tons of money. Good on him.

It was all (or even further) downhill from here in a year when the national champion is from a school with made up classes.

• Winner
Reactions: Cyclone1995
L

LincolnWay187

I would take Fred back at ISU in a heartbeat even though I like Prohm. We will see where everyone is at in 3-4 years.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I hated to see Fred go but I understood it. I am happy with where the program is now and am not sure why you're trolling someone of your own fanbase. At the end of the day it's sports.
Why'd you hate to see him go? He stopped recruiting- I hated that he stayed until June.

If not for your butthurt you'd realize Hoiberg to OSU means as much as any other ex-ISU coach to looking for that next opportunity.

Hopefully McD can use him as leverage.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
First, he lived in North Ames so his kids (and taxes) went to the Gilbert School District, not Ames. Then, he allowed his daughter to go to Kansas (and work for the Basketball Office). These were bad enough. Please don't go to tOSU. Please don't. Enough is enough.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
First, he lived in North Ames so his kids (and taxes) went to the Gilbert School District, not Ames. Then, he allowed his daughter to go to Kansas (and work for the Basketball Office). These were bad enough. Please don't go to tOSU. Please don't. Enough is enough.

lol @ "he allowed"

As if his daughter can't carve her own path in life and do what she wants to do.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Also, over 200 posts and we haven't seen this?
tumblr_lv1p5v4Y9F1qcj7k0o1_500.gif

• Funny
Reactions: DurangoCy