FRED HOIBERG TO OHIO ST?

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Funny stuff. It's amazing how badly McD did here with the talent he had. Only one of the last 7 ISU MBB hires to not make the tournament.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
After some of the names being tossed around and how much money they have, their fans can't be happy if this is the hire. Hiring a coach that has never been to the Sweet 16?? Hmmm.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
And.... if McDoormat ends up going to OSU and thriving there, I just don't have an explanation for his huge failure at ISU. That would mean he was VERY successful at UNI, Creighton, and Ohio State, but for some reason couldn't do squat at ISU. That wouldn't make any sense.

He got handed a mess when he took the ISU job and never could fix the mess. Every bad thing at ISU just kept getting bigger and bigger. Even when he tired to fix it for some reason it got worse.

There are cases all over college sports where a coach didn't work out at a given job, but they were very successful at other jobs.

ILikeCy

Dec 16, 2008
Omaha
lol @ "he allowed"

As if his daughter can't carve her own path in life and do what she wants to do.
Who do you think is paying for her education at KU? If he didn't want her to go there, she probably wouldn't have.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Wow.

If McD takes the job it's a complete head scratcher to me why he would even be offered it in the first place. I can think of no prior association between him and tOSU, other than Gene Smith, and that would be a tenuous connection at best, given that their paths never even crossed each other at ISU.

Even as a dual UNI/ISU fan when I look back at his tenure at UNI I think he was a bit overrated; yeah, he took the Panthers to 3 straight NCAA tournaments, but they didn't win any of those games under him (and a lot of people think the true coach was Ben Jacobson. Based on results since then I think it's hard to argue against that).

We all know what happened here at ISU, so there's no sense in revisiting that sad history, but even at Creighton he hasn't really done much without with his son playing for him, and even with him they never made it past the first weekend.

The Buckeyes can do much better than this.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I wonder if all their top candidates said No because they didn't want to be in the shadow of Urban Meyer and the football program? I mean, McDermott can't possibly be the best they can do, right?!

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
Here you go: I would try to get him back if Hoiberg is leaving the NBA for any reason and wants to continue coaching in college. Prohm has yet to show anything substantial in coaching development in each season at Murray St and Iowa State. He seems soft and unsure of himself. He admitted as much in his interview after the season ending loss

Speaking of not showing anything substantial....

Flagging this one for 'clonie awards nomination

cloneatlaw

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2006
Cedar Falls, IA
So the explanation for the Hoiberg rumors must be that an actual insider tipped off a reporter that a former Iowa State coach was a serious candidate and the reporter wrongly assumed that the only person that could possibly refer to was Hoiberg, because every other former ISU coach would be a major disappointment. Pretty soon we're going to hear that OSU is actually hiring not McDermott but actually former ISU women's basketball coach Theresa Becker. She may have had an 18-63 record, but she did work for Gene Smith while at Iowa State