FRED HOIBERG TO OHIO ST?

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
I have family in Chicago and the fans want him gone now they tell me. So whatever Chicago.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
If Fred goes to OSU, then it just says that he truly wasn't happy at ISU IMO. It wasn't about not liking recruiting, or just leaving for his "dream job" any longer if he takes the OSU job. It is a big slap in the face of ISU and the fans.

In fact, if Fred gets close to 6 million a year to coach OSU, then he's easily the biggest scammer in the history of coaching IMO. What has he really done to earn the money he's earning? Got ISU to the Sweet Sixteen a time or two? He somehow turned that into a 5 year 25 million dollar deal to coach the Bulls? Wut? How?

And in Chicago he's done absolutely NOTHING, and is likely on the hot seat, so hey, why not jump at the shot to turn that into 6 million a year at OSU for several more years before people begin to realize you just aren't that great, right? I mean why not? Fred would be getting paid more than both Coach K and Bill Self.... for doing what? Taking ISU to a a couple Sweet Sixteens? Coach K and Bill Self do that nearly every single year and have won multiple titles.

So as I say, you can't blame Fred at all, but talk about a guy that has scammed his way into tons and tons of money. Good on him.

tenor.gif

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
If Fred goes to OSU, then it just says that he truly wasn't happy at ISU IMO. It wasn't about not liking recruiting, or just leaving for his "dream job" any longer if he takes the OSU job. It is a big slap in the face of ISU and the fans.

In fact, if Fred gets close to 6 million a year to coach OSU, then he's easily the biggest scammer in the history of coaching IMO. What has he really done to earn the money he's earning? Got ISU to the Sweet Sixteen a time or two? He somehow turned that into a 5 year 25 million dollar deal to coach the Bulls? Wut? How?

And in Chicago he's done absolutely NOTHING, and is likely on the hot seat, so hey, why not jump at the shot to turn that into 6 million a year at OSU for several more years before people begin to realize you just aren't that great, right? I mean why not? Fred would be getting paid more than both Coach K and Bill Self.... for doing what? Taking ISU to a a couple Sweet Sixteens? Coach K and Bill Self do that nearly every single year and have won multiple titles.

So as I say, you can't blame Fred at all, but talk about a guy that has scammed his way into tons and tons of money. Good on him.
If a company offered you twice as much money and opportunity you wouldn't leave? ********.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Well, hed did effectively quit before leaving. Get over your hard-on for Fred, he's just another hired hand.

I have a hard on for Fred because I'm not butthurt he left?

Get over it. It was 2 years ago. He did great things for ISU and always held himself with class. I'm a Prohm guy now and more importantly, I'm an ISU guy.

Good lord sensitive internet today...

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Recruiting is much easier to Ohio state than Iowa state, it's all about relationships with AAU coaches which I'm sure Ohio state has no problems with.

The coach has to have a relationship with the AAU program. Fred would have to do his job at Ohio State. He did it for a few years here, then he decided he was going to cut bait soon enough and could quit doing part of his job. Its to his credit that he was able to be as good as he was when he quit recruiting. I'm sure Prohm wishes that Fred hadn't quit 2 years before he actually left.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Highly highly doubt FH would leave his dream job after only 2 years to take a pay cut and coach again in college at Ohio State. Now KY or Duke or UNC? Sure maybe..But Ohio state? I'd be shocked and it would be the ultimate slap in ISU face possible.

Well the biggest face slap would be if he went to U of I or KU.

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
The coach has to have a relationship with the AAU program. Fred would have to do his job at Ohio State. He did it for a few years here, then he decided he was going to cut bait soon enough and could quit doing part of his job. Its to his credit that he was able to be as good as he was when he quit recruiting. I'm sure Prohm wishes that Fred hadn't quit 2 years before he actually left.
Others make relationships as well just not the coach, but Fred did well with what we face here.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Others make relationships as well just not the coach, but Fred did well with what we face here.

So why does Ohio State have better relationships with AAU programs than Iowa State? The reason they got rid of Matta was his lack of recruiting. And he'd been there for a decade.

Part of the problem is we haven't been able to keep a freaking coach for more than 5 years for the last 27 years. That's a huge problem and it would be nice if we could manage to hang onto Prohm for longer than Fred, but somehow I bet he will be in a better situation in about 2 years too!

DaHiltonHaus1

Apr 28, 2017
This would leave Ohio State fans disappointed. He turned around our program into a pretty good team, but Ohio State wants more than that. He doesn't emphasize defense enough to build a great team. If he were smart he'd stay in Chicago and head to a smaller school another year. Fred is a nice guy and I like him but I hope he doesn't go because he would crumble under that pressure.

19clone91

Nov 21, 2013
Denver, CO
I honestly dont know how well Fred would do in today's recruiting climate. The success he had was largely based on the transfer realm of recruiting, of which he was on the forefront nationally. As CW has mentioned before, now everybody is taking transfers. Its a lot harder to get the star transfers today than it was 5-8 years ago, and we all know Fred is not the biggest fan of transitional recruiting. I hope I am wrong, but I dont know how well he would be recruiting long term if he was to return to the college ranks.

He is still one of the premier in-game coaches in the country, but the recruiting would be tough on him now that transfers are harder to get.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I have a hard on for Fred because I'm not butthurt he left?

Get over it. It was 2 years ago. He did great things for ISU and always held himself with class. I'm a Prohm guy now and more importantly, I'm an ISU guy.

Good lord sensitive internet today...

I actually agree with this completely. I'm not butthurt he left. He scammed his way into 5 million a year for 5 years with the Bulls. Who wouldn't do that? Who wouldn't also take a few horrible years at Chicago and parlay(scam) it into even more money possibly with OSU? Everyone would I'm guessing. Why not?

Yes, Fred did do great things here, and Prohm has done just as much already basically though. Fred held himself with class, can't argue with that either. And as you said, and I agree, I'm a Prohm guy now, always an ISU guy, and don't particularly care about Fred anymore.

My only point was that I'm not sure anyone who has done so little has ever parlayed that into being one of the highest paid basketball coaches on the planet? Good for Fred, but geeeez.... he doesn't have much on his resume really for the kind of coin he's bringing down.