Washington's Lorenzo Romar on TJ Otzelberger's Departure

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Deep breaths.... :)

We all know CFH is legendary. I just can't imagine him walking away from the best chance of a NC for a job in the NBA that will be there every couple years.

No matter what happens, kind of a bush league comment to throw out there.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
you are right about this year. But the reason he came back was because he knows he is the next coach in my opinion.

I don't believe you. Niang gave up the NBA draft this year to come back to ISU. Clearly he knows he is the next coach.

:jimlad:

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Being on a coaching staff that gets fired will set an asst coaches career back a few years at the least. Being on an asst coach for a team that is a top 15 team year in year out will help you career out a lot.

Fred needed an asst coach. Fred knew he was going to be out for weeks with his heart procedure. He needed someone who would be loyal, knew ISU, could get to Ames and get going right away, and someone he could trust why he was out. TJ was in a bad situation and fit that perfect. As for him not looking at head coaching jobs, with Fred being laid up he didn't need a coach looking or taking other jobs so TJ respected that and turned down the interviews. Also the jobs he was up for were not great jobs. Add to that he has been out of the Midwest for 2 years so he may not have a relationship or even know about kids that can help his team, if he were to be head coach. Him being on the ISU staff will help him get more eyes on kids for future opening and help him get a better job.

OR Fred could leave for the NBA and TJ is who he has hand picked to take the job after him. If that is the case don't you have to trust Fred on that decision.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Bulls are winning it all this year anyway, not like Thibs is gonna get axed after winning a ring. Chill out peeps.

The Bulls ran the last guy to coach them to a title out of town, shortly after he won it.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
Being on a coaching staff that gets fired will set an asst coaches career back a few years at the least. Being on an asst coach for a team that is a top 15 team year in year out will help you career out a lot.

Fred needed an asst coach. Fred knew he was going to be out for weeks with his heart procedure. He needed someone who would be loyal, knew ISU, could get to Ames and get going right away, and someone he could trust why he was out. TJ was in a bad situation and fit that perfect. As for him not looking at head coaching jobs, with Fred being laid up he didn't need a coach looking or taking other jobs so TJ respected that and turned down the interviews. Also the jobs he was up for were not great jobs. Add to that he has been out of the Midwest for 2 years so he may not have a relationship or even know about kids that can help his team, if he were to be head coach. Him being on the ISU staff will help him get more eyes on kids for future opening and help him get a better job.

OR Fred could leave for the NBA and TJ is who he has hand picked to take the job after him. If that is the case don't you have to trust Fred on that decision.
Green bay is not a horrible job. They have been a bubble team two years in a row.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
There is and has been smoke out there, even in the AAU ranks, regarding Hoiberg being done coaching at ISU really soon. Not definitive on whether that means taking an AD job, NBA job, or a year or two off. Comes from a good source at Simeon in chicago. We had a couple offers in to kids there and the talk definitely didn't help us. One ended up committing to Illinois or Nebraska, the other went to NW or maybe Purdue (can't recall). Definitely schools we should always recruit over. FWIW.

Edit - looked it up. One went to Nebraska (4*), the other Iowa (3*).

What other coaches are spreading rumors to put themselves in better position to get players.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

Frankly, I hope Fred is here longer than Paul with his loooonnnnnggggg contract...

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines
I am the coach in waiting. Have no fear. It's all been set up for years.

Erik, you have been around for awhile. Has this board gotten more crazy than it was in the past? And if it has, is it because we are in the midst of crazy times or is it that our newer, younger posters are drama queens? I'll hang up and listen....

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
Watch some NBA playoff action. Niang is not NBA material.

attachment.php

Attachments

• nolan-dec-2.gif
    nolan-dec-2.gif
    3.6 KB · Views: 647

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
For as bad as i wanted this thread shut down about 6 hours ago at work now that i have time to read all the back and forth i cant help but keep myself amused the rest of the night over this thread and have a few drinks.....then really start spewing nonsense like i think that Fred is staying and TJ really just wanted to come back and be part of a winning program as opposed to one that is getting the axe. Then give him a better chance for him to land a better job himself after a couple years. :jimlad:

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Erik, you have been around for awhile. Has this board gotten more crazy than it was in the past? And if it has, is it because we are in the midst of crazy times or is it that our newer, younger posters are drama queens? I'll hang up and listen....

Board has lost its mind, old and new posters alike.
New ones love the drama. Older ones don't know how to handle success.

tplumm

Mar 3, 2010
Ankeny
Didn't take time to read all the posts, my guess is TJ's wife is pregnant, wanted to be closer to family/support network. That and all the other good things that come with being in Ames/Iowa State!

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Words haven't been invented to describe how stupid I think a handful of posters on here are. One in particular. He may be a super troll however. If so, well done sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.