Michigan

oldwiseman

Oct 10, 2009
I don't get the #1 seed love for them. They win the B1G and have a chance to win the conf tournament and if they do, I suppose winning the both is a decent reason for a 1 seed.

However, same record as ISU. ISU beat them head to head. Big 12 > B1G. ISU wins conf tournament. Undefeated out of conference. Ended up beating everyone on their schedule.

Michigan lost to Iowa, ISU beat Iowa.

ISU 8 RPI, Michigan 9
ISU 12 BPI, Michigan 21

ISU beats KU by 11 and then Baylor by 9 in the championship game.
Mich beats Ind by 4, IL by 1 and OSU by 3.

So I'm not saying ISU should be a 1 seed but I am scratching my head on how Mich get so much talk as a 1 seed? They don't pass the eye test, the logic test, or the stat test.

Don't get it.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
There's no clear 4th 1 seed. We make as much sense as Michigan, Villanova, Louisville, but for whatever reason we have to earn it over the years. UVA should be more ticked than we are if they win today and Michigan gets the nod over them.

I think there are 3 teams who have separated their season...and about 8 teams that should be two seed equally. One will get a #1 and some will get 3s.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
They won a very strong conference by 3 games, and if they win the tourney too, they are as good as anyone. Seems to me like it is between them and Virginia depending on who wins today. I wouldn't argue with either (but I am pulling for Michigan as it gives us a win against a one seed and helps our resume for a two).

MIClone

Aug 31, 2011
Central Michigan
There's no clear 4th 1 seed. We make as much sense as Michigan, Villanova, Louisville, but for whatever reason we have to earn it over the years. UVA should be more ticked than we are if they win today and Michigan gets the nod over them.

I think there are 3 teams who have separated their season...and about 8 teams that should be two seed equally. One will get a #1 and some will get 3s.

Excellent analysis of the situation.

oldwiseman

Oct 10, 2009
I thought maybe that whipping we took at WV is playing a factor but then I realized UVA only put up 38pts in a lost to WI early in the year.

Also, UVA is 294th in ppg, 140th in rebounds, 125th in assists and 122nd in FG pct. They don't pass the stat test in my mind.

As far as ACC vs Big 12 KU beat Duke by 11 earlier this year. (Duke also beat Mich by 10) ACC may be over rated based on history.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I would be ticket if i were louisville. They are the defending champ. Regardless of the sos. They played a decent schedule and are killing teams right now.

Cyclophile1

Dec 14, 2009
Overland Park, KS
The media is infatuated with the BigTen, basically in all sports. It's simple bias, probably due to the major media markets in their footprint. It's pandering, and comes off as self-love.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Of all the teams being discussed for the final #1 seed, I have the least problems giving it to Michigan, especially if they beat Michigan St this afternoon. I mean, who else deserves it? Villanova got punked in their tournament, Kansas got beat by us and is without a key player, Wisconsin lost, Duke doesn't really deserve it, Iowa St is a straight homer pick. Besides Michigan, whom else?

oldwiseman

Oct 10, 2009
Of all the teams being discussed for the final #1 seed, I have the least problems giving it to Michigan, especially if they beat Michigan St this afternoon. I mean, who else deserves it? Villanova got punked in their tournament, Kansas got beat by us and is without a key player, Wisconsin lost, Duke doesn't really deserve it, Iowa St is a straight homer pick. Besides Michigan, whom else?

I agree with Louisville for a #1 but I guess the bigger issue is how do we get a #3 if Mich is the 4th #1? At least we deserve a 2.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
They won a very strong conference by 3 games, and if they win the tourney too, they are as good as anyone. Seems to me like it is between them and Virginia depending on who wins today. I wouldn't argue with either (but I am pulling for Michigan as it gives us a win against a one seed and helps our resume for a two).
The spread over the second conference team is incredibly overrated.
If they are going to discount KU without Embiid, are they going to discount Michigan's win(s) against MSU? Or Wisconsin's win against a Florida team that did not have Wilbekin, Finney-Smith, Yeguete, and Chris Walker?

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I don't get the #1 seed love for them. They win the B1G and have a chance to win the conf tournament and if they do, I suppose winning the both is a decent reason for a 1 seed.

However, same record as ISU. ISU beat them head to head. Big 12 > B1G. ISU wins conf tournament. Undefeated out of conference. Ended up beating everyone on their schedule.

Michigan lost to Iowa, ISU beat Iowa.

ISU 8 RPI, Michigan 9
ISU 12 BPI, Michigan 21

ISU beats KU by 11 and then Baylor by 9 in the championship game.
Mich beats Ind by 4, IL by 1 and OSU by 3.

So I'm not saying ISU should be a 1 seed but I am scratching my head on how Mich get so much talk as a 1 seed? They don't pass the eye test, the logic test, or the stat test.

Don't get it.

If they win today they would have won the conference season and the conference tournament. We beat them at home, I know, but winning a conference regular season in a good conference carries a lot of weight with me. I have no problem with it.

Also, just because talking heads are talking about them as a #1 seed doesn't mean the committee is quite as sure.

CyCy

Nov 7, 2006
I don't think that the outcome of today's game will have any effect. From the game's end until the bracket announcement is only a couple hours. I don't think the committee is still discussing 1 vs. 2 seeds that close to the announcement.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL

I'm not ticked we aren't a #1 instead of Michigan. I'm ticked that they are considered at all. The BS love for the B1G is still going on hot and heavy and it's a joke. Wow, look at them, yeah they didn't do well pre-season, but they sure rolled through this, the toughest conference in basketball, so they must be amazing. I don't find it ironic that they all of a sudden looked so much better when they got into conference play. At one point, I remember the talk on here about how the Michigan win may not end up looking that good. Then, they got to play all the other Big 10 teams.

They are a good team, I just don't see how you put them in the #1. Honestly, I'd say the same thing if ISU got it, no way we'd deserver it over Kansas with them having beaten us twice this year already. Definitely a tough pick, but it seems since day 1, one of the 4 #1 spots was set aside for a B1G team no matter what, at least by the media. We'll see what happens when the real results come out though.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I have no issues with L'ville or Michigan getting that other one seed, they deserve it over Duke or UVA. The 2 and 3 seeds will be very interesting. There are a lot of good teams in those next few lines. There are also teams like Okie St, Baylor and Kstate that will be really tough second round matchups for someone. I'd prefer to be as far away from any of the other big 12 teams as possible. Watching all the conference tourneys you realize how good this league is, its not only talented but its as physical as any league, including the b1g

mikeiastat

Feb 1, 2007
Madison, WI
THe committee has consistently said that they often have two sets of brackets based on major conf. Tournaments. You have to consider it's a big difference if Michigan doesn't win their tournament. If they can take the regular season and the tournament I think that's a big deal.

It is probably the only reason that they get the nod over anyone, But I also think if they only win the regular season and lose the tournament championship that they're no better than Kansas and Kansas is overall resume kicks living hell out of Michigan.

Ku better deeper conf. more top 50 wins. Toughest non conference schedule by a mile. Toughest overall schedule by a mile.a lot fewer off games in conference.regular season conference championship means a lot to me but by 1 or 2 games means nothing ku had it locked up.they needed some get healthy time. Plus stronger second - fifth teams should look better not worse on the resume.

Last edited:

oldwiseman

Oct 10, 2009
Why would you agree with Louisville? They have a worse resume than anyone in this discussion.

They've won 12 of their last 13 and are absolutely destroying their opponents. I do think being hot at tournament time is important. I will say their schedule isn't impressive compared to anyone in ACC, B1G or Big XII though. Perhaps you have changed my mind upon further evaluation.

So, maybe I'm not as opposed to Mich being a #1 as I am them being seeded a #1 if ISU or KU gets a #3 or #4 I think ISU/KU both are 2's after the tourney.