ways to improve tailgating?

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
Noone loves the facilities improvements more than me. But with all the talk about tailgate lots and such i think some tailgate improvements are in order, just wondering if others thought the same. We spend a lot of money to tailgate, many enjoy that more than the game itself.

Why not swap G6 and G7 for the intramural fields, a lot closer to park. Maybe pave part of the lots? So its not a muddy mess, but still leave some grass for those that like it. Could put a walkway over University Ave, its already needs one for safety.

Added vendors would be nice, but i understand why they don't have them. They "need" their concession $$$

Permanent pottys would be great as well, but again, i understand why they don't have them. Would be a ***** to maintain

What else? We already have great tailgating, but it can always be better. We shouldn't settle, but that's just my 2 cents. Cue the teenagers giving me ****...

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Vendors. Really?? NO. I can't think of too many things that would negatively affect the atmosphere/experience more.

The thing is organic. It happens because individuals create it. The last thing we need is Welcome to ISU Tailgating sponsored by Sodexo!

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
There is so much free food around during tailgating vendors would have a tough time making money.

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
What do you mean swap G6 and G7 for the intramural fields? That would basically wreck the IM fields. Is it that big of a deal to walk a little extra from G7 as opposed to the IM fields?

I don't think paving them is necessary either. I've never had trouble getting out with my car and haven't noticed G7 being overly muddy.

I think a few vendors in the tailgating lots (outside of University & S 16th) would be nice, but I never bought anything when I was in the other lot anyways.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
alcohol sales are not allowed on isu property unless sold by isu.

permanent toilets would require sewer and water connections. i don't know where those are currently.

a walkway over elwood (er. university) would be awesome. that would/may solve the problem of open containers while crossing the street. on a related note, it's technically against the law to drink on isu property (i called and asked about liquor licensing) but they don't enforce it. i wonder why they enforce it on university ave.

edit. i love my avatar

Reactions: cyhiphopp

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I think the one thing that would be helpful is a tunnel or walkway over University blvd from the student lot/other public lots. Not a big need, but if we had some extra cash (which we don't) then it would be sweet.

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
Not directly related to tailgating but they need to bring back Clone Cones to the concession stands in the Stadium.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
alcohol sales are not allowed on isu property unless sold by isu.

permanent toilets would require sewer and water connections. i don't know where those are currently.

a walkway over elwood (er. university) would be awesome. that would/may solve the problem of open containers while crossing the street. on a related note, it's technically against the law to drink on isu property (i called and asked about liquor licensing) but they don't enforce it. i wonder why they enforce it on university ave.

edit. i love my avatar

I love your avatar too

EJ4CY

Feb 11, 2007
Lenexa KS
Realistic ways to improve tailgating.

Wire out side of paved lots with electricity.
Open donor lots earlier than 7am
ban loud generators.
more porta jonnies.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Realistic ways to improve tailgating.

Wire out side of paved lots with electricity.
Open donor lots earlier than 7am
ban loud generators.
more porta jonnies.

Good points.
I think they should open ALL tailgating lots the night before.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I think the one thing that would be helpful is a tunnel or walkway over University blvd from the student lot/other public lots. Not a big need, but if we had some extra cash (which we don't) then it would be sweet.

I wonder if they could create some sort of temporary, portable walkway that could be moved into place only for games. I doubt if you could put anything permanent over an arterial road like University. Sounds like a good project for the Mechanical Engineering guys.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Ban the scalpers. I hate the guys who ride bikes around with signs ("I need tickets" on one side and "I have extra tickets" on the other) and wearing hats for schools like Cal. The same handful of guys are there for nearly every game. Maybe someone who is a true Iowa State fan could follow them around and match whatever offers they make for tickets. Or at least tell everyone that they are scalpers from out-of-town.

Or maybe Iowa State could establish an official gameday resale station, not unlike the online Ticket Exchange prior to the game.

I just hate seeing these guys making money on Iowa State tickets. Why do so many people dump their tickets to them? They never offer decent prices, yet they always have tons of tickets.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

This is a safety matter too though so it really should be on the list of future projects. That many pedestrians and that much traffic at that intersection is an accident waiting to happen. Force all the ped traffic under or over the road and it will be safer and traffic will flow much better after games.

Something the city of ames could probably be justified in kicking in for too as part of bike trails on S-16th

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron