ways to improve tailgating?

cycloneted

Apr 19, 2006
Des Moines
dangerous-rope-bridge-1.jpg

I swear, if one more Hawk fan gets on this bridge...

Indy_cuts_bridge.jpg

dmthornt

Oct 4, 2012
I've been to every game, home and away for the last two years and here's a bit of what I observed. At Tulsa, where the high dollar donors are, they park on the side of the road, next to a large open area of green space and are provided cable TV and electricity. At TCU, the high dollar donors get a trash can, picnic table, and a grill. But, in all cases these amenities where for high end donors as I had the opportunity to tailgate with a pro golfer at TCU. Otherwise, Baylor had the closest atmosphere to ISU, with everyone congregating in a large open field (grass) next to the stadium. Memphis (Liberty Bowl) probably had the next best setup, with everything centered around Tiger Alley. ISU, has the largest RV parking in the Big 12, and it takes a lot to get in, much more than the minimum donation, which is good for the school but it does limit fans, so that's to bad. Out of all the suggestions, I think adding the bands would a really cool thing, either on Friday night or Saturday night after the game.

BodeClone

May 15, 2014
Best tailgating spot in the state by far. Close proximity to different spots, and keep the bars as far away as possible. Tailgating isn't meant to be inside.

I'm not as opposed to the intramural spots as everybody else is. Good spots for kids to play pickup football games/bags. Talking about this is getting me stoked for the fall!

BanjoCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2012
Built one of these for our tailgate. We don't have a generator or anything, so we are limited to battery power. I used 2 6x9's and a car stereo for mine. Got a $80 marine battery from wally world and have so far run 40+ hours without charge. Used to have a little mono-speaker/amp combo for playing tunes. That was sufficient, but this thing is almost excessive for our area.

images

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
Honestly - I think a walkway is a waste of money. Or at least just one - which is what it sounds like it's going to be.

Where?

You got people coming from the lots to the south. People coming from the vet med lots, people from the east in G7, further to the north (is that G6?) and the parking up behind Stuart Smith to the NE.

And for 6, maybe 7 games a year?

Seems to me you need at least two or three - otherwise people will still dodge traffic if a walk way isn't more or less on their direct route.

Freebird

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I've been to every game, home and away for the last two years and here's a bit of what I observed. At Tulsa, where the high dollar donors are, they park on the side of the road, next to a large open area of green space and are provided cable TV and electricity. At TCU, the high dollar donors get a trash can, picnic table, and a grill. But, in all cases these amenities where for high end donors as I had the opportunity to tailgate with a pro golfer at TCU. Otherwise, Baylor had the closest atmosphere to ISU, with everyone congregating in a large open field (grass) next to the stadium. Memphis (Liberty Bowl) probably had the next best setup, with everything centered around Tiger Alley. ISU, has the largest RV parking in the Big 12, and it takes a lot to get in, much more than the minimum donation, which is good for the school but it does limit fans, so that's to bad. Out of all the suggestions, I think adding the bands would a really cool thing, either on Friday night or Saturday night after the game.

:eek:

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
Baylors atmosphere was only close to ISU within 2 hours from kickoff and within 200 yards of the stadium. The setup was decent, just didn't have enough tailgaters (for an extended period of time).

KSU has the closest tailgating experience to ISU.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
Best tailgating spot in the state by far. Close proximity to different spots, and keep the bars as far away as possible. Tailgating isn't meant to be inside.

I'm not as opposed to the intramural spots as everybody else is. Good spots for kids to play pickup football games/bags. Talking about this is getting me stoked for the fall!

Wow! Ahead of Drake, Grinnell,,, Iowa.....You really are setting the bar up high!

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Honestly - I think a walkway is a waste of money. Or at least just one - which is what it sounds like it's going to be.

Where?

You got people coming from the lots to the south. People coming from the vet med lots, people from the east in G7, further to the north (is that G6?) and the parking up behind Stuart Smith to the NE.

Seems to me you need at least two or three - otherwise people will still dodge traffic if a walk way isn't more or less on their direct route.

If they force traffic south on University from the S lots,
east on 16th from G2,3,4,5,8,
east on 4th from G6,7 on 4th,
north on University, west on Lincoln Way, and east on 4th from Hilton lots,
they virtually eliminate north/south traffic on University at 4th Street and therefore really only need the walkway at 16th Street.

If they allow people to go north on University from S/G23458 lots or south on University from Hilton/G67 lots, then they may need more walkways over University.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA

Where?

Ya I'm thinking most coming from the student lot won't want to wait to cross at the bridge and will cut over the road and through that ditch like they do now.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Put up a fence along the road to channel traffic to the walk over. Its crazy dangerous pre-post game. Semi- or completely drunk people jumping in front of cars. I suspect, IMO, the lots across the road will be developed more to be more attractive to tailgating.

As for the previous comment about the RV lots being tough to get in...nope. I pay the minimum donation and have been in the lots for about a dozen years now. They even added two more lots over the past few years and added RV parking around Hilton to accommodate need.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Ya I'm thinking most coming from the student lot won't want to wait to cross at the bridge and will cut over the road and through that ditch like they do now.

That's why you plant Ames PD along the road and finance the walkway through jaywalking tickets.

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny
Other than the annoyance of packing everyone in tightly (and yes, I know why they do it), the tailgating is great. Can't wait for August 30th

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Jut Win Baby!!!

Tailgating would:be:improved if we won more home games! Went about a calendar year without a home win. More powerful air:freshners in the porta potties- some of u guys **** does smell! Splurge and buy better quality beer.

It hasn't been a huge issue historically, but with attendance on the rise I think the traffic crew need to direct cars to specific spots in the paved lots starting about 2.5 hrs before game time. Fill a row up, then move to the next row. It can be:a hassle to fight through tailgaters to get:a parking spot close to game time.