ways to improve tailgating?

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I didn't use it, but last year Hy Vee had a tent for tailgate essentials by Jacobson. I thought that was a good idea and blended in with the other commercial tents there.

We have if good here. Tons if space and truly an enhancement to the Gameday experience.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Personally, I've thought that they needed a stage set up somewhere by the Olsen Building and book a band for every home game. I'm betting they could get the Nadas for a game a year along with some other local/regional bands. I'd have no issue with a row of venders...maybe set up on the stretch of S. 4th that is blocked off. I also would have no issue with them tearing up and paving the IM fields. They could move them to the fields over by MWL and they also have the old soccer field that they could open up to the public. It wouldn't be too difficult to put a few baseball diamonds east of MWL. I've always agreed that having a walkway over University would be great, but I don't know how feasible it is. It would be expensive.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Personally, I've thought that they needed a stage set up somewhere by the Olsen Building and book a band for every home game. I'm betting they could get the Nadas for a game a year along with some other local/regional bands. I'd have no issue with a row of venders...maybe set up on the stretch of S. 4th that is blocked off. I also would have no issue with them tearing up and paving the IM fields. They could move them to the fields over by MWL and they also have the old soccer field that they could open up to the public. It wouldn't be too difficult to put a few baseball diamonds east of MWL. I've always agreed that having a walkway over University would be great, but I don't know how feasible it is. It would be expensive.
The IM fields will never be touched. The University needs the green space to meet the requirements of land grants to have X% of green space on campus. Same story goes for the former soccer field.

No chance rec services will ever allow either to be used for tailgating. They spend too much money already trying to keep them looking decent. Before when they had the land where the Cyclone Sports Complex is you could MAYBE get rec services to agree but no chance now. The SW complex + MWL + Lied = restricted space.

And there is absolutely 0 chance MWL could support intramurals...especially as the university continues to grow. It isn't that uncommon for 12 or all 13 softball fields to be used simultaneously and depending on the wind direction and level of players playing there isn't enough space.

Last edited:

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
The one thing I'd agree with is the walkways over University, that would be a big help for both foot and car traffic.

BirdOfWar

May 3, 2010
Central Iowa
Noone loves the facilities improvements more than me. But with all the talk about tailgate lots and such i think some tailgate improvements are in order, just wondering if others thought the same. We spend a lot of money to tailgate, many enjoy that more than the game itself.

Why not swap G6 and G7 for the intramural fields, a lot closer to park. Maybe pave part of the lots? So its not a muddy mess, but still leave some grass for those that like it. Could put a walkway over University Ave, its already needs one for safety.

Added vendors would be nice, but i understand why they don't have them. They "need" their concession $$$

Permanent pottys would be great as well, but again, i understand why they don't have them. Would be a ***** to maintain

What else? We already have great tailgating, but it can always be better. We shouldn't settle, but that's just my 2 cents. Cue the teenagers giving me ****...

I've actually thought about the same thing. Since we don't have baseball and softball has a new field, could they move any intramural fields to SW Athletic Complex so it opens up all that area for tailgating? I have no idea how full G7 gets, but we might end up needing more donor space available sooner than later.

ISUagger

Jan 31, 2012
Ames
A walkway/tunnel would be a good idea. The ones the have leading to Hilton get used extensively.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
The IM fields will never be touched. The University needs the green space to meet the requirements of land grants to have X% of green space on campus. Same story goes for the former soccer field.

No chance rec services will ever allow either to be used for tailgating. They spend too much money already trying to keep them looking decent. Before when they had the land where the Cyclone Sports Complex is you could MAYBE get rec services to agree but no chance now. The SW complex + MWL + Lied = restricted space.

And there is absolutely 0 chance MWL could support intramurals...especially as the university continues to grow. It isn't that uncommon for 12 or all 13 softball fields to be used simultaneously and depending on the wind direction and level of players playing there isn't enough space.

How close are we to that? You also gotta remember ISU owns the ISU Arboretum, and that giant unused field between Hayward and State long Mortensen.

I'm not saying I am for destroying the IM fields but I was just curious because we actually own a lot of green space.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I've actually thought about the same thing. Since we don't have baseball and softball has a new field, could they move any intramural fields to SW Athletic Complex so it opens up all that area for tailgating? I have no idea how full G7 gets, but we might end up needing more donor space available sooner than later.
Rec Services no longer owns the land out there. The athletics department swapped Lied for the SW Athletic Complex to put up the Cyclone Sports Complex.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
How close are we to that? You also gotta remember ISU owns the ISU Arboretum, and that giant unused field between Hayward and State long Mortensen.

I'm not saying I am for destroying the IM fields but I was just curious because we actually own a lot of green space.
Last I knew FPM was saying for basically anything else to go up on campus another building has to come down because 65% of the campus has to be greenspace or something ridiculous like that. I think that was after the plans for Troxel were unveiled but I could be a year or two off.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Last I knew FPM was saying for basically anything else to go up on campus another building has to come down because 65% of the campus has to be greenspace or something ridiculous like that. I think that was after the plans for Troxel were unveiled but I could be a year or two off.

I work for FPM so when I get back on campus, I could really figure that out.

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
where would you put the intermural fields then? If people want paved lots, donate more and you will get them. I dont see building a walkway unless it goes under the road which I dont see how that could happen. Crossing the street in groups of 300 seem to work pretty well.

The only thing that would be cool is to provide electric to the grass lots, however this isnt really doable because then you wuold have electric posts all over the lot and that would cause a billion issues. Building bathrooms would be a bad idea, they would be permanent which would be an issue.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I think opening public lots earlier would be smart. For big games you have large amounts of people parking alongside the road the night before. When it gets too bad, they move you into, wait for it, a tailgate lot. But not the lot you're in line for.

I fail to see the logic in moving people waiting for G2/3 into G4/5 until 6 hrs prior to kick.

I could also see moving the IM fields farther to the east and putting the G6/7 tailgating right along University. For one, its closer for those people to get to the stadium, and secondly I think it would improve the look of things. Rather than having these isolated lots a few hundred yards away, you would have everything bordering University being one big tailgate.

isudoc03

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 25, 2006
Why do we need more lots? There is plenty of parking available now. We have had our highest attendances the past few years and the only time I'm aware of parking being a problem was when some of the grass lots were closed due to flooding.

It would be stupid to tear up the IM lots. The money has already been spent/invested to develop the fields and maintain them. It gets a lot of use beyond IM events, 7 on 7 tourneys, soccer tournaments, etc. It looks a lot better having grass and some open space over there then a big empty parking lot for the other 349-350 days of the year.

I don't think every donor is entitled to a parking spot. We have a finite area of parking around the stadium and that should be used for donor/RV parking. The grass lots to the south and vet med is avail for public. Any donors that don't get parking passes can easily park there. If century donors are getting booted from G7 and have to park in public that is the nature of the beast of becoming a more successful program. If they want to park in G7, they can increase their donation. There may be a point where a $250 level donation won't get you a parking pass.

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
with the whole donate for parking thing, there is a big difference in the $250 donation and the $5,000 donations. If you arent guaranteed a spot, then donate more or park in the grass lots. Whats the difference.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
I didn't know HyVee had a tailgating essentials tent. Would have saved me a few trips to KMart!

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Allowing the higher level donors to get in early or stay overnight is a good idea. It would drive some demand for higher levels of NCC status.

DarkStar's CloneCone idea is a no-brainer. Especially in September, when it can be 85F and sunny and hot as hell. You'd sell out by halftime.

And if they net $4 per CloneCone, you need to sell about 10 million of them to fund the SEZ. So what, about 5 home games worth of sales?

Pure genius, someone email JP.

CostaDelMar

Jun 21, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Intramurals occur all year, and thousands of students participate. The facilities are nice and they're "far" enough rom campus. Why sacrifice the fields for 6-8 weekends just because some of you people don't want to walk a little extra further on gameday?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron