ways to improve tailgating?

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
From an RV perspective...a dumping station. You could even charge $10 or so for it. Currently have to drive up or down the interstate to do this and then bring the beast back to park it. Strange that Ames doesn't have one.

mganzeveld

Jun 14, 2010
Cedar Rapids
Over/under passes for the student/grass lots would be a HUGE improvement. You have to wonder how many people from G2, G3, G4, G5, and G8 cross the road at the corner of 16th and University (plus all the paid grass lot spots further up 16th). The flow to the game isn't terrible but the outflow is a mess.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Last I knew FPM was saying for basically anything else to go up on campus another building has to come down because 65% of the campus has to be greenspace or something ridiculous like that. I think that was after the plans for Troxel were unveiled but I could be a year or two off.

Yeah I've definitely heard that anything going up needs to have something go down to counter it.

Me State

Oct 19, 2007
The walkways need to happen. Would be very beneficial and if done right could look great.

CycloneGB

Jul 20, 2010
The walkways need to happen. Would be very beneficial and if done right could look great.

dangerous-rope-bridge-1.jpg

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I think you should be required to wear a special shirt and get points for tailgating that goes towards prizes.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I think opening public lots earlier would be smart. For big games you have large amounts of people parking alongside the road the night before. When it gets too bad, they move you into, wait for it, a tailgate lot. But not the lot you're in line for.

I fail to see the logic in moving people waiting for G2/3 into G4/5 until 6 hrs prior to kick.

I could also see moving the IM fields farther to the east and putting the G6/7 tailgating right along University. For one, its closer for those people to get to the stadium, and secondly I think it would improve the look of things. Rather than having these isolated lots a few hundred yards away, you would have everything bordering University being one big tailgate.

I like your idea of moving the G6/7 lots. :yes:

I suppose if you just added that area east of University and kept the existing lots, it'd get too torn up for intramurals? Nothing like running after a guy in flag football and stepping in some jerk's coals he didn't take home.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Traffic management...

And more people need to fly flags damn it. Fly your colors above your tailgate, people.

On a related note, the businesses and homes in Ames need to fly more flags! As a town, we need to do more to embrace gameday. The whole town should have the feel of the tailgate!

ISUboi12

Apr 12, 2006
dsm
I think having local vendors is a good idea. It doesn't have to be a farmers market, but a row of vendors so people know where they can go outside of the stadium to buy some food, ice, cups, clothing, coolers, coozies, umbrellas, hats, a change of clothing (if necessary). The university could profit by requiring a permit and maybe a percentage of the profits. It would basically just be taking some of the money that would usually go to Wal Mart, Target, or HyVee to go towards local hands.

It works pretty well for the College World Series and does not significantly impact tailgating.

Bestaluckcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2009
I would like to see some rules for solicitation. Maybe the solicitors have to be registered and sanctioned by the University or Athletic Dept.. An ID of some sort would help. I don't mind donating to a worthy cause like the dance marathon, but we were hit up for money 8 times last year. I have no idea if they were all legit. Students could have been soliciting beer money and calling it something else for all we knew.

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny
Other than having strippers come out to the lots to entertain, there isn't much you can do to make it better

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron