Volleyball To Play Home Matches At Ames High School

clonefreek

Jun 24, 2009
ames
Wells Fargo Arena

Why is wells fargo arena not an option for volleyball, wrestling, mens and womens basketball? I mean des moines isnt that far away and it would give them a proper amount of time to fix hilton right. I would much rather see them get things done right and drive 30 minutes then to hurry to get it done. I also find it a little embarrassing that a division 1 big 12 bcs school has to use a high school for its volleyball. I dont know that just might be my opinion, i understand we could not stop it from flooding but we have more options then they think.

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
Re: Wells Fargo Arena

$$$$
I'm guessing the cost to use the facility is more than volleyball brings in.
I bet Hilton will be GTG for basketball.
Also, guessing Wells has a schedule of its own to maintain.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

Volleyball would only really make sense in WF for about 2 games a year. Also, youre likely to see an attendance drop from moving it out of ames.

MBB and WBB though, if hilton isnt ready in time, WFA would make some sense, though its not like WFA sits empty in nov\dec.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006

We averaged 1600 people/match last year.

Sorry .. 2700/match. That includes around 10K for the NU match alone which probably jumped that average considerably.

Last edited:

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN

The Well would be a massive fail for volleyball. Attendance for the Energy is god awful, and it'd be even worse if you move ISU volleyball there. You probably get 200-250 students, and you pretty much eliminate them from going in said scenario.

nileo

Apr 29, 2010
Grimes

Rent at Wells would be too high, I'd assume for Volleyball. I'm sure using Ames High is much easier financially.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006

Not trying to downplay that success, but are all the students and fans really going to commute for every game?

I was wrong and corrected... it was 2700/per.

That was my point. I agree with you and think the attendance takes a substantial hit if they are all moved to DSM.

The NU match I can see. Maybe even Texas, but we only had around 3500 for that match last year anyway. No others makes sense.

The team played a few matches in DSM a couples years ago and the attendance was anemic. Granted that was before our rise to national prominence.

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines
That's fine, but when I ran into the VB team as they were passing out drinking water last Sat., they sure didn't sound too excited about playing at Ames High. Big-time programs don't play in places like that. Especially since we averaged 2700 fans per match last year, were hoping to reach 3000 this year, and Ames High holds 2000. The Neb match will be a mess.
I fail to understand why VB can't move their matches back into Hilton by the first part of November, as JP seems to think it'll be ready for basketball games by then:

Ames Tribune > Ames Tribune > News

Its obviously not where we normally play. Its where we play when a catastrophic flood devastates Ames. I think the person I talked to was thinking positively in spite of the situation. There are advantages to the smaller gym as has been pointed out.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Iowa State - Team Match-by-Match Statistics

Texas was 3700 and Nebraska was 10203. A couple early UW-M matches were under 1500. The other ten home matches were in the 2000-2700 range. Given that there will probably be a lot fewer volleyball ticket deals (free/reduced prices), Ames High really might work pretty well other than the UT/Neb matches. Actual gross ticket might not really go down at all other than UT/Neb.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Iowa State - Team Match-by-Match Statistics

Texas was 3700 and Nebraska was 10203. A couple early UW-M matches were under 1500. The other ten home matches were in the 2000-2700 range. Given that there will probably be a lot fewer volleyball ticket deals (free/reduced prices), Ames High really might work pretty well other than the UT/Neb matches. Actual gross ticket might not really go down at all other than UT/Neb.

Another huge Nebraska crowd was financially counted on this year, as well as a big crowd for Texas. I don't understand why VB matches can't be moved back to Hilton at the earliest opportunity. Attendance will drop at the high school just because it's an unfamiliar gym. Fewer walk-ups for sure.

huKSer

Jul 7, 2010
This. One of the main reasons the Nebraska/ISU match was so heavily attended was because it was right after a football game, IIRC, which made it easy for a lot of people just to mingle over to Hilton. If it were at WFA, don't expect many people to make that drive to watch a VB match, no offense.
Keep it at AHS and keep those Huskers out of there. This will be a packed, loud, crazy atmosphere!
Move the Vball game to Trice. It will be a much better game than the ISU fball game

Help Support Us

Become a patron