Volleyball To Play Home Matches At Ames High School

beatiowa

Dec 21, 2008
Berkeley, CA
No, they shouldn't. AHS will provide a better home court advantage for ISU than Wells Fargo.

I know for volleyball pep band we weren't going to get to go if the games got moved outside of Ames. I'm sure there were other things like that that would be affected as well. Plus, this way the games are still within walking distance (kind of) from campus and along CyRide routes. I'd guess student attendance would drop a lot if they had to drive to Des Moines every game, especially since a lot of students don't have cars.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
No, they shouldn't. AHS will provide a better home court advantage for ISU than Wells Fargo.
This. One of the main reasons the Nebraska/ISU match was so heavily attended was because it was right after a football game, IIRC, which made it easy for a lot of people just to mingle over to Hilton. If it were at WFA, don't expect many people to make that drive to watch a VB match, no offense.
Keep it at AHS and keep those Huskers out of there. This will be a packed, loud, crazy atmosphere!

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Bottom line - playing at Ames High will result in a huge financial hit for the volleyball program. Fewer students, and much lower attendance. If the Neb match is indeed held there, we are losing thousands of $$ in ticket sales.
We have to protect Hilton better than this - someway or somehow. Or else rebuild it at another location (with FEMA funds, like Iowa is doing with Hancher). This is very damaging...

HiltonMagic

Apr 12, 2006
CA
Visit site
Bottom line - playing at Ames High will result in a huge financial hit for the volleyball program. Fewer students, and much lower attendance. If the Neb match is indeed held there, we are losing thousands of $$ in ticket sales.

VB tickets were next to nothing anyway. Hell, most of the time you could get in free. They won't be losing that much in ticket $.

HiltonMagic

Apr 12, 2006
CA
Visit site
We have to protect Hilton better than this - someway or somehow. Or else rebuild it at another location (with FEMA funds, like Iowa is doing with Hancher). This is very damaging...

After '93 there was a plan made to make sure Hilton was not flooded again. However, the plan was not followed.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I can already picture the 3,000 seat Tornado man Olympic Sports complex. Get on it. :wink:

In all seriousness, this is a massive hit to the volleyball program not just financially, but recruiting this season. Bringing a recruit in for a visit playing at Ames High isn't playing at Hilton where they do have much better attendance, and it just isn't nearly the environment. Its truly a shame, but I just don't think there's a whole lot more they can do about it. :sad:

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
After '93 there was a plan made to make sure Hilton was not flooded again. However, the plan was not followed.

What was the plan? More sandbags? A moat? Technically you can 'flood proof' a building but its not easy with an existing structure. Maybe not even possible with this one.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
This isn't a big financial hit. The flood in Hilton is, but playing in another gym is comparatively not.

beatiowa

Dec 21, 2008
Berkeley, CA
VB tickets were next to nothing anyway. Hell, most of the time you could get in free. They won't be losing that much in ticket $.

This. Although they obviously will lose some money, they would lose money if the games were in WFA too because less people would make the drive to Des Moines.

Also, doesn't anyone remember the vouchers they handed out for the Nebraska game last year? Probably at least a third of those 10,000 fans were there for free.

A-town Cy

Aug 4, 2006
Huxley
What was the plan? More sandbags? A moat? Technically you can 'flood proof' a building but its not easy with an existing structure. Maybe not even possible with this one.

I heard on the news that Maple-Willow-Larch had flood gates or doors that were in place that kept water out of there. Couldn't that be done around the low doors at Hilton?

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines

Can we build a moat around Hilton even if it's not for flood proofing? That sounds awesome.:yes:

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I'm not engineer, but it just doesn't seem like it would be all that hard to levy around Hilton. Down the south side of Lincoln way, along the west side of University and along the north side of the road that runs between the main lots and Hilton/C.Y's.

There's already an incline to the west and has the water ever reached Beach? How high would it need to be? IE, how high does the water get over Lincoln Way and University? A couple feet?

Of course you'd lose the two tunnels.

HiltonMagic

Apr 12, 2006
CA
Visit site

There are "flood gates" (4x4s and planks) that get put up that then get plastic and sandbags. The problem is the people setting them up had no idea what to do and weren't prepared at all.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I'm not engineer, but it just doesn't seem like it would be all that hard to levy around Hilton. Down the south side of Lincoln way, along the west side of University and along the north side of the road that runs between the main lots and Hilton/C.Y's.

There's already an incline to the west and has the water ever reached Beach? How high would it need to be? IE, how high does the water get over Lincoln Way and University? A couple feet?

Of course you'd lose the two tunnels.
It would take a TON of water to get up the block to Beach. Last week, It barely got the CY Stephens, and it was WAY out. It didn't get to the cutout for the turning lane on Lincoln Way, so it had a ways to go. Lincoln Way had about a foot of water over it if I'm not mistaken, but that's putting the stuff around it at 6+ feet of water because the road is raised a bunch.