5 Reasons to Blame Jamie Pollard

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
People get restless or maybe you're too young to realize that? I love the state of Iowa and my family is here, but opportunities elsewhere intrigue me. Caels still a young man at 29 and all he's ever known is Utah and Iowa.

This is not unusual to me at all.

I too listen to other offers. However, to completely relocate himself and his family for a 10% raise?

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
10% raise

Leaves his wifes home state

Leaves his brother during his senior year!!! This alone is huge! I think this tells us more than anything

It doesn't add up

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
10% raise

Leaves his brother during his senior year!!! This alone is huge! I think this tells us more than anything

It doesn't add up

Perhaps it tells you a bit about the character of Cael Sanderson. So driven by his own ego that he would do all of this just to build a legacy in his own image...

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Perhaps it tells you a bit about the character of Cael Sanderson. So driven by his own ego that he would do all of this just to build a legacy in his own image...

Calling Cael Sanderson's character into play? I think, even at the age of 29, he has shown to be a man of great character.

CTAClone

Addict
Mar 28, 2006
Amerika
Calling Cael Sanderson's character into play? I think, even at the age of 29, he has shown to be a man of great character.

I would've agreed with you a couple of days ago. No one can understand why he left. Some people will lay the blame on Pollard, but won't on him. It makes no sense why he left, but he did.

So if you question Pollard...why can't you question Cael?

CYvers

Apr 12, 2006
10% raise

It doesn't add up

Not trying to pick on you Clones85 because I want to throw this question out to everyone. What does this 10% actually entail? Is it a 10% raise on base salary? This would seem to omit a signing bonus which has been rumored to be a million. Did Cael get a increase in the proceeds from wrestling camps? Again this could be quite significant.

I don't think we can assume that his total pay increase was $13,000 (10% of his base salary which I believe is $132k). So I am not comfortable parroting this number and then basing all other assumptions on it. Thoughts?

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I don't think we can assume that his total pay increase was $13,000 (10% of his base salary which I believe is $132k). So I am not comfortable parroting this number and then basing all other assumptions on it. Thoughts?

In fact, Cael said to Scott Casber on Take Down radio yesterday that the $137,000 "base" pay included getting 10 qualifiers to the NCAA's and winning the Big 12 tournament...

jtd9046

Dec 20, 2006
Chicago
Take a step back and look at it this way...

I have a great job for a great company right now and work for a terrific boss, but I'm currently living in metro Detroit as a young professional. Personally I'm nowhere near happy.

Would you fault my boss if I moved and found something that satisfied my professional and personal life?

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Before I write what I'm about to write, I'll preface it to say to please take it with a grain of salt, as it is third-hand information at best.

I was chatting with a friend of mine who still lives in Ames a couple of days ago when all of this was going down, and he told me that he had heard that the average rank-and-file in the athletic department can't stand JP and is sick of his ego. JP does have sycophants up the totem pole who apparently do nothing but kiss his a$$, and it sounds like an unhappy athletic department. If true (and my friend does have good sources) it's certainly possible that there is definite tension between the administration and coaching staffs.

I've read reports and seen studies that say that the number one reason why people leave jobs is because they don't like their immediate supervisor. Why wouldn't coaches be the same? H*ll, I left a decent job in the Florida Keys that fit in my career field because I couldn't stand working for one of my bosses for another summer. Granted, there were a few other reasons, but I just didn't want to put myself through the emotional stress of working for her again.

A 10% pay increase isn't much, and ISU does have a better tradition, but if JP is such a pain in the a$$ to work for and PSU has great potential, then a bad relationship with JP could have been the X factor.

Reactions: alaskaguy

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I didn't hear that. I was just using the Salary Book for 2008 which says his base pay is $132,500.04 and $8,734.92 for travel.

Legislative Services Agency - Salary Book

Thanks for the link. Yes, Casber brought up the $137,000 figure, and Sanderson quickly injected the specifics I mentioned.
Fellow wrestling fans in the CWC tell me he at least doubles that figure, and maybe more, with camp and equipment revenue.

CYvers

Apr 12, 2006
Thanks for the link. Yes, Casber brought up the $137,000 figure, and Sanderson quickly injected the specifics I mentioned.
Fellow wrestling fans in the CWC tell me he at least doubles that figure, and maybe more, with camp and equipment revenue.

So did you get the impression that he was not happy with his salary because of the size of performance bonuses?

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Before I write what I'm about to write, I'll preface it to say to please take it with a grain of salt, as it is third-hand information at best.

I was chatting with a friend of mine who still lives in Ames a couple of days ago when all of this was going down, and he told me that he had heard that the average rank-and-file in the athletic department can't stand JP and is sick of his ego. JP does have sycophants up the totem pole who apparently do nothing but kiss his a$$, and it sounds like an unhappy athletic department. If true (and my friend does have good sources) it's certainly possible that there is definite tension between the administration and coaching staffs.

I've read reports and seen studies that say that the number one reason why people leave jobs is because they don't like their immediate supervisor. Why wouldn't coaches be the same? H*ll, I left a decent job in the Florida Keys that fit in my career field because I couldn't stand working for one of my bosses for another summer. Granted, there were a few other reasons, but I just didn't want to put myself through the emotional stress of working for her again.

A 10% pay increase isn't much, and ISU does have a better tradition, but if JP is such a pain in the a$$ to work for and PSU has great potential, then a bad relationship with JP could have been the X factor.

Good post and glad you prefaced it.

Been in that postion myself and yes why put up with B.S. if you don't have to.

JP's been under a lot of pressure(a lot of it self induced), so wouldn't surprise me if some of it's rubbing off.

This will work itself out relatively soon. I suspect JP's leash has just gotten a lot shorter....

alaskaguy

Apr 11, 2006
So if you question Pollard...why can't you question Cael?
It is Pollard's responsiblity to hire and retain coaches; it is Cael's responsiblity to field the best team possible.

In other words; if the work environment isn't the best (relationship with your boss), or you can do better somewhere else, it makes all the sense in the world to pack your bags and move on. I know I would and suspect that 99% of the people that hold down full time positions would do the same.

Pollard has done a tremendous job marketing the Cyclones. But that is only half the job. The other part of the job is to put a decent product out on the field. In that respect, I give him an F and it doesn't take an Einstein to figure out why. Look we are clearly the worst team in the conference if you examine the overall results of football and basketball. I know that ISU doesn't have a sports history to brag about but in all our history we have never sunk to the lows that we have under Pollard.

CloneFan65

Apr 11, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
From a PR standpoint losing Cael hurts. But is this really going to effect the wrestling program that badly? Just because Cael was the greatest college wrestler ever doesn't mean he's going to be a great coach. He's brought in some good recruiting classes, but I don't think he's proven to be the future coaching legend many of us expected him to be, and the team hasn't reached expectations. I'm not saying he's a bad coach, but there are better coaches out there.

CyPride

Oct 12, 2008
1. 10% pay increase, 300% increase in wrestling budget. Nicer facility.
2. No real competition for recruits and Pennsylvania generally produces the most All Americans.
3. See #1. He knows we can't match the budget Penn State is giving him and we're not building a new facility for him anytime soon.
4. See #2. Pennsylvania is a recruiting hotbed. Do those recruits go to Pitt to wrestler? Nope. Now those recruits can stay in state and go to Penn State.
5. You could very, very soon see this tide change. The Big XII with Iowa and Ohio State, and quite possible Penn State very soon, will be just as good if not better than the Big XII. Historically, Big XII is the best. However, very soon, recent history will indicate the Big 10 is better.

I appreciate how you keep ignoring some things Cael says, but try and read into other things. Make a ton of sense. :jimlad:

#5. I follow wrestling. Big 10 is easily a better conference than the Big 12.

Iowa
Minnesota
Illinois
OSU
PSU

Those 5 schools I list have very good teams. Big 10 has been good for some time and have programs on the rise. Big 12 (Big 8) has been traditionally good, but, IMO, their programs are not on the rise.

Why? Look at revenue sharing that the Big 10 has and then look at our (Big 12's) revenue sharing program. Big 10 easily is a better conference for supporting all schools, not just the big 2.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
From a PR standpoint losing Cael hurts. But is this really going to effect the wrestling program that badly? Just because Cael was the greatest college wrestler ever doesn't mean he's going to be a great coach. He's brought in some good recruiting classes, but I don't think he's proven to be the future coaching legend many of us expected him to be, and the team hasn't reached expectations. I'm not saying he's a bad coach, but there are better coaches out there.

I think you're correct. I think we were all guilty of assuming he was the second coming of Dan Gable. Cael did some great things here, but he just couldnt' quite seal the deal at Nationals.

No doubt this going to hurt and we'll probably loose some recruits. We just need to move on and find as good a replacement as possible.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Followed by "I think Jamie took some shots at me in the press conference"

I don't just read stuff that shines Iowa State in a positive light. I read the whole thing!!!!

Yes... to say that an inferior program like Penn State will be easier to win a National Championship at then Iowa State certainly isn't taking a shot at Iowa State University, The Athletic Dept., the current athletes, the current recruits, the fans, etc...

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron