5 Reasons to Blame Jamie Pollard

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
Three years after the fact, people here on CF still hold grudges against Pollard for getting rid of Dan McCarney. I'm sure there are some in the average rank-and-file in the ISU AD who thought the world of Dan, and still hold grudges against Pollard for doing the right thing.

Agreed. You can only please some of the people all of the time.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
I think your "5 reasons to blame" have been sufficiently shot down by a couple of posters in this thread. Would you please respond to one of them?

What are you talking about? I have posted at least 10 times in this thread defending why I feel this way.

Before people think I have this vendetta against JP, I hope you go back and look at my other 100 posts on him from the last couple years. I have said nothing but good things about the man. He has done SOME good things at ISU.

But this can't be ignored. We have heard from people over the past several months of people not getting along with JP w/in the athletic department. Now Cael leaves. Interesting

ONCE AGAIN, Cael would not lie about the money!!!!!! You know why... b/c you can find out so easy. The guy will be a state employee and that information gets released to the public. He won't be able to hide what he is getting paid. So why would he say it is only a 10% increase unless it is?

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
Calling Cael Sanderson's character into play? I think, even at the age of 29, he has shown to be a man of great character.
Aren't you doing the same thing by saying he's lying about what his motivations are for moving on? It's ok to question his character as long as it fits your opinions, but not when it doesn't?

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
This thread is a good example of why I have pretty much ignored CF all weekend - and why I'm probably still going to be ignoring it...

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
1. 10% pay increase, 300% increase in wrestling budget. Nicer facility.
2. No real competition for recruits and Pennsylvania generally produces the most All Americans.
3. See #1. He knows we can't match the budget Penn State is giving him and we're not building a new facility for him anytime soon.
4. See #2. Pennsylvania is a recruiting hotbed. Do those recruits go to Pitt to wrestler? Nope. Now those recruits can stay in state and go to Penn State.
5. You could very, very soon see this tide change. The Big XII with Iowa and Ohio State, and quite possible Penn State very soon, will be just as good if not better than the Big XII. Historically, Big XII is the best. However, very soon, recent history will indicate the Big 10 is better.

Clone85 see this post. It is about money. Money the wrestling budget.

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
I too listen to other offers. However, to completely relocate himself and his family for a 10% raise?

10% raise

Leaves his wifes home state

Leaves his brother during his senior year!!! This alone is huge! I think this tells us more than anything

It doesn't add up

Show me one link proving it is a 10% raise..... Everybody has a credible source but brings no proof to the argument.

I agree he won't leave ISU for only a 10% raise, which is why I think he's a lying POS. So far, my opinion has just as much proof as yours.

The only difference between the ones that think as you do and those of us that think the way we are is the FACT that you are building your own case ******** on Pollard at any cost with what could be fact or what could be total crap. What we are doing is pointing out plenty of reasons why it might not be what you are assuming with no proof and I will continue to do so until the proof is there. Until then, you taking some of what CS is saying as fact(without lying) to prove Pollard is satan and then say he is just taking the high road and being nice while obviously lying about his true feelings about Pollard is a joke. If this was a civil trial, it would get tossed out of court before the judge came into the court room.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Clone85 see this post. It is about money. Money the wrestling budget.

I replied to that post. Me and him went back and forth for the better part of yesterday afternoon! :biglaugh:

Honest question for you:

Do you really think that Cael Sanderson would leave Iowa State for a bigger wrestling budget? Honestly

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Show me one link proving it is a 10% raise..... Everybody has a credible source but brings no proof to the argument.

I agree he won't leave ISU for only a 10% raise, which is why I think he's a lying POS. So far, my opinion has just as much proof as yours.

It came straight from Cael's mouth man! And he has no reason to lie about it since it will become public information in no time

Wingback

Dec 26, 2008
No matter how you position this, it is poor P.R. Cael Sanderson was never supposed to leave Iowa State. When a beloved son leaves, for whatever the reason, it causes pause for reflection.

Whatever he does, Pollard had better get this hire right, period. The Chizek hire, in retrospect, was a bust. The McDermott hire, in spite of the fact that I like him a lot, so far hasn't panned out as expected. And now the Sanderson situation.

By itself, you look at this and say, "well sometimes things happen." But when you look at the cumulative effect of Jamie's coaching hires and their outcomes, you have to ask, "Is he really the best thing for this athletic department?"

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA

You're talking about the greatest Cyclone athlete of all time - show a little respect man.

Cael has provided ISU nothing but a fine performance ever since he stepped on campus. He has never done anything to make you question his character prior to this, so how is he a "lying POS" now?

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
It came straight from Cael's mouth man! And he has no reason to lie about it since it will become public information in no time

He also could get money from private donors that would not be part of the state public information so we will likely not eve know the entire story. Both sides of the fence still have the same clout.

Cal's mouth also said it has nothing to do with Pollard. What do you say about that man?

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I am reserving my judgement until there are full details about his salary. Even if his salary increase is only 10% there could be alot of extra money from bonuses, incentives, ect. It may have been a real tough sell for Pollard to increase provide a significant pay increase for any state employee in the economy. Also, I wouldn't put it past Cael to want a new challenge, and a chance to identify himself outside of Iowa State. I realize he is an olympic champion, but for the most part he is known simply for his streak at Iowa State and was known as their coach. Maybe he is trying to make more of his mark nationally on wrestling...and not just on the state of Iowa. If he can rebuild PSU and make them a national contender, which he apparently must think he can do, he will be a national wrestling legend, make quite a bit more money, and then maybe parlay that into a different job. Who knows...I just hesitant to be quick to blame Jamie Pollard.

Reactions: jumbopackage

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
You're talking about the greatest Cyclone athlete of all time - show a little respect man.

Cael has provided ISU nothing but a fine performance ever since he stepped on campus. He has never done anything to make you question his character prior to this, so how is he a "lying POS" now?
He's showing the same amount of respect for Cael that Cael has shown for ISU.

I don't know that he's a lying POS, to be honest. Unlike Clones85 and everyone else that's saying this is somehow Pollard's fault, who apparently think he is a liar.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX

How are all the details going to become public? It took five years of legal wrangling between local newspapers and PSU to finally force PSU to release the details of JoPa's salary. Due to the private funding nature of PSU athletics, they don't have to make contracts public, like ISU does. Are you going to fight PSU in the courts for five years to get Sanderson's salary and signing bonus details released?

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
How are all the details going to become public? It took five years of legal wrangling between local newspapers and PSU to finally force PSU to release the details of JoPa's salary. Due to the private funding nature of PSU athletics, they don't have to make contracts public, like ISU does. Are you going to fight PSU in the courts for five years to get Sanderson's salary and signing bonus details released?
If it means he can win an argument on the internet, why not? :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007

Yes I am :no:

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Iowa State has 10 returning wrestlers next year. 1 being Cael's brother for his senior year

He brought in the 6th ranked class in the country

His 10% raise really is probably not a raise as the cost of living out there has to be more than Ames, IA.

Cael had to have made close to 250K a year here at ISU after camps, endorsements, and speeches. Maybe more

If one person can honest to go tell me how this adds up, I will stop blaming Jamie Pollard

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
Iowa State has 10 returning wrestlers next year. 1 being Cael's brother for his senior year

His 10% raise really is probably not a raise as the cost of living out there has to be more than Ames, IA.

Cael had to have made close to 250K a year here at ISU after camps, endorsements, and speeches. Maybe more

If one person can honest to go tell me how this adds up, I will stop blaming Jamie Pollard

6th ranked class in the country when there are really only a handful of wrestling powers isn't all that great of a class.

Cost of living in State College probably isn't significantly different than Ames.

Cael himself has said he's not motivated by money. So take the entire money argument out of the picture and what do you end up with? A guy who marches to the beat of his own drum, who wants a new challenge.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
6th ranked class in the country when there are really only a handful of wrestling powers isn't all that great of a class. Considering Penn State's class isn't in the top 30, I think that says a lot

Cost of living in State College probably isn't significantly different than Ames. But it is an increase, one that would offset his current raise.

Cael himself has said he's not motivated by money. So take the entire money argument out of the picture and what do you end up with? A guy who marches to the beat of his own drum, who wants a new challenge. I don't buy that for one second and here is why, Cael himself said that he wants to win a championship at Iowa State. He said it for 3 years and has not done it yet. That in itself is a challenge. He is also on record as saying that Iowa State is his "dream job" and that he loves it here. What changed? If it wasn't money

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009

Just throwing this out as a theory, but here goes: Timing maybe?

Would you feel better if the Penn State offer came next year after ISU (hopefully) wins a National title and Sanderson bolted?

There can't be a whole lot of wrestling coaching opportunities left out there, and maybe this was one of those "can't pass this up because it won't come around again" type of opportunity.

Again, this is just a theory. I'm ready for other people to shoot holes in it.