5 Reasons to Blame Jamie Pollard

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Yes... to say that an inferior program like Penn State will be easier to win a National Championship at then Iowa State certainly isn't taking a shot at Iowa State University, The Athletic Dept., the current athletes, the current recruits, the fans, etc...

Touche....

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Cael's stated motivations for moving on are that he is motivated by the challenge at Penn State more than the challenge at ISU. He's a guy that's motivated by challenges instead of money. .

Then it's too bad he left before ever accomplishing his main challenge: bring an NCAA championship to ISU.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Yes it is too bad he left before accomplishing his main challenge, which very well may have happened next year. And we find out he leaves that, and his alma mater, for a paltry 10% raise? That's what has a lot of people wondering what's going on in our athletic department, especially since we've had so much turnover and bad production from so many of our athletic programs the last few years.

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
2. Cael said that he thinks he can win a National Championship easier at Penn St, but then goes on to say that he expects Iowa State to win next year. Odd

Cael never said that he thinks he can win a National Championship easier at Penn State.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
I was chatting with a friend of mine who still lives in Ames a couple of days ago when all of this was going down, and he told me that he had heard that the average rank-and-file in the athletic department can't stand JP and is sick of his ego. JP does have sycophants up the totem pole who apparently do nothing but kiss his a$$, and it sounds like an unhappy athletic department. If true (and my friend does have good sources) it's certainly possible that there is definite tension between the administration and coaching staffs.

I've been at my company for fifteen years, and we are now under the 5th general manager at our plant during that time. I am in a unique position, because I work directly under corporate, and don't report to the plant GM. Pretty much after every change in GM, many in the "average rank-and-file" resent and badmouth the new GM. That's just the way it is. They badmouth everything, whether positive or negative, and they keep on doing it until the next one comes in, and then they go after the new guy. For that reason, I'm rather wary when I hear of employees trashing management.

Three years after the fact, people here on CF still hold grudges against Pollard for getting rid of Dan McCarney. I'm sure there are some in the average rank-and-file in the ISU AD who thought the world of Dan, and still hold grudges against Pollard for doing the right thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: djcubby

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
It takes 2 to tango, but I do wonder what excuses will come out now that it seems more true that the contract was nowhere near $500k/yr.

Curious what the "total" package is.... Maybe big chunk of deferred comp, maybe state-of-the-art facilities, budget larger than we could conceive, more enthusiastic fan support recruiting inroads.....

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
It's difficult to place 100% of the blame on Pollard because obviously there was something going on that we don't exactly know. With that said, it's damn near impossible to completely dismiss him of blame. This isn't exactly an isolated incident. In the last six months we've now seen two head coaches, who we weren't worried about in the least, depart in an unprecedented fashion.

For those of you who are blaming Pollard, what does this mean? Should this be the final nail in his coffin and he is dismissed? Do we say step it up or else? What should or can be done?

LeSchmick

Dec 14, 2008
Urbandale
Can we just get this over with? Cael Sanderson is the devil out to drive a steak through our hearts and Jamie Pollard is the gate keeper.:jimlad:

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I don't blame JP for Chizik leaving. I do question him hiring him in the 1st place. The big thing that bothers me is that everything seems to be a big show for JP. I'm afraid he is inclined to hire people just like himself who can talk a big game but haven't proved anything. I'd rather see JP focus on coaches who have been successful head coaches even if they're from small schools.

oops I guess this is turning into a football rant.

CyPlainsDrifter

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 19, 2006
1. Cael has now said that he got a 10% pay increase. Something Iowa State could have easily matched. It was never, ever about the money! Especially these ridiculous 500K a year and 1 million dollar signing bonuses that so many of you on this board were so quick to believe

2. Cael said that he thinks he can win a National Championship easier at Penn St, but then goes on to say that he expects Iowa State to win next year. Odd

3. Cael didn't even let Jamie counter offer. He couldn't get away from him quick enough. Really odd for a school that he loves.

4. Cael says that it is easier to recruit at Penn State than Iowa State even though Iowa State has a top 6 class coming in next year according to intermat and Penn State isn't in the top 30. Odd again

5. History shows that Iowa State is a 10X better job than Penn St and that the Big 12 is the better conference traditionally.

All signs point to him not being happy as head coach here at Iowa State and that has to go back on the Athletic director. Cael even felt that Jamie took a couple shots at him in the press conference but he chose the high road and complimented Jamie.

I know it is easier to back the person who is currently at Iowa State but after 3 years of crap you have to realize that this is not a coincidence. It is a pattern and something has to chance

He says in his own blog it NOT Pollard. To continue to blame JP is infantile and silly. No one can know why Cael was able to rationalize this, but clearly it was NOT JP. There is no evidence to support that claim and clear evidence against it.

Reactions: jumbopackage

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
1. Cael has now said that he got a 10% pay increase. Something Iowa State could have easily matched. It was never, ever about the money! Especially these ridiculous 500K a year and 1 million dollar signing bonuses that so many of you on this board were so quick to believe Show me this fact as you portray it. I see all this "I have a credible source who tells me......." BS that you guys take as fact so you can get back to your target JP. It's funny you take him at his word saying it is barely 10% raise but ignore the fact that, in his blog, he says it is not JP. So it's OK he's lying about JP by taking the high road but there is no way he's lying about his raise. I call BS

2. Cael said that he thinks he can win a National Championship easier at Penn St, but then goes on to say that he expects Iowa State to win next year. Odd CS has come out and said that he never made those quotes that were in the drag or whatever publication. #2 gone

3. Cael didn't even let Jamie counter offer. He couldn't get away from him quick enough. Really odd for a school that he loves. another baseless assumption.

4. Cael says that it is easier to recruit at Penn State than Iowa State even though Iowa State has a top 6 class coming in next year according to intermat and Penn State isn't in the top 30. Odd again How odd is it really that he is undoubtably the best college wrestler because of his zero defeats but is undoubtably not the best coach in the state of Iowa let alone the nation. It would be easier to recruit to Penn State because that area produces a lot of great high school talent and he doesn't have to deal with Iowa, UNI, Nebraska right in his own back yard. How is that odd?

5. History shows that Iowa State is a 10X better job than Penn St and that the Big 12 is the better conference traditionally. Lowering the bar and/or expectations for yourself and getting a raise besides could be a big motive especially you when you know you can't hold Brands jock strap right now. If you can't stand the coaching heat, go farther away from the fire.

All signs point to him not being happy as head coach here at Iowa State and that has to go back on the Athletic director. Cael even felt that Jamie took a couple shots at him in the press conference but he chose the high road and complimented Jamie. Ya, you know for a fact that he isn't lying about his pay, but you think he is above talking the truth about Jamie??? Credibility lost

I know it is easier to back the person who is currently at Iowa State but after 3 years of crap you have to realize that this is not a coincidence. It is a pattern and something has to chance 3 yrs of crap? CS just left on Friday. So you already had it in your mind that Jamie is out to take us down and this is only further evidence supporting your claim no matter how you validate the assumptions, or in your case, facts as you see them.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
It's difficult to place 100% of the blame on Pollard because obviously there was something going on that we don't exactly know. With that said, it's damn near impossible to completely dismiss him of blame. This isn't exactly an isolated incident. In the last six months we've now seen two head coaches, who we weren't worried about in the least, depart in an unprecedented fashion.

For those of you who are blaming Pollard, what does this mean? Should this be the final nail in his coffin and he is dismissed? Do we say step it up or else? What should or can be done?

I say Let Jamie the talker Pollard stay for another 10 years and keep on LOSING.....

LOSING....its fun.. its exciting .. and you dont have to worry about bowl games aka dmac and ncaa tourneys aka wayne morgan...

Keep rite on a trucking Jamie The Talker Pollard:biglaugh:

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
I say Let Jamie the talker Pollard stay for another 10 years and keep on LOSING.....

LOSING....its fun.. its exciting .. and you dont have to worry about bowl games aka dmac and ncaa tourneys aka wayne morgan...

Keep rite on a trucking Jamie The Talker Pollard:biglaugh:

Err..Dmac wasn't exactly coming off a bowl game season?!?! And I feel sorry for you if you think Morgan was going to produce many more tourney teams. He's doing what now??

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
I think your "5 reasons to blame" have been sufficiently shot down by a couple of posters in this thread. Would you please respond to one of them?

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
Err..Dmac wasn't exactly coming off a bowl game season?!?! And I feel sorry for you if you think Morgan was going to produce many more tourney teams. He's doing what now??

I'm sure Morgan's teams would be doing better than GMac's teams are...

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa

Don't feel sorry for me bake...feel sorry for all those great clone fans who have to pay all the freight for a Losing Athletic dept under Jamie Pollard!!:cool:

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
Don't feel sorry for me bake...feel sorry for all those great clone fans who have to pay all the freight for a Losing Athletic dept under Jamie Pollard!!:cool:

There wasa really nothing to lose. You're looking back thru rose colored glasses if you think we had "something" to lose.

JP was brought in to try to get ISU up. We asked him to bring in the best coaches and not hold back on money.

- Cael: He left for some good reasons that have been spelled out clearly in this thread that don't go back on JP.

- Morgan: Horrible game day coach who was only hired after NO ONE else would take the job.

-Dmac: Love him but proved he could never get us to a better level in football (Big 12 Championship or upper level bowl game)

JP has done a great job fundraising for the dept. His #1 job. Our coaches now just need to coach and win some games.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA

Wait - so you don't even pay anything to the athletic dept in terms of tickets or anything, and you still complain this much?

GoShow97

Oct 18, 2006
homeless
Three years after the fact, people here on CF still hold grudges against Pollard for getting rid of Dan McCarney. I'm sure there are some in the average rank-and-file in the ISU AD who thought the world of Dan, and still hold grudges against Pollard for doing the right thing.
Good post, I agree.