*** Stranger Things Mafia Game Thread ***

giphy.gif

Welcome to Stranger Things Mafia!

The town of Hawkins, Indiana has never been the same following the discovery of an alternate dimension known as the “Upside Down.” Now, members of Cyclone Fanatic will determine whether evil can be vanquished for good, or if the terrors of the Upside Down will take over the world.

ROLES:

Mafia

The mafia consists of four villains (one from each season).

Vecna - Vecna preys on people who have trauma in their past, choosing to show them visions before telekinetically breaking their bones and imploding their skulls. Vecna will possess the ability to make one extra kill. However, the kill will take 24 hours to take effect, and the person Vecna selects to kill will be told they are having strange visions as soon as Vecna targets them. NOTE: If Vecna dies before the 24 hours is up, then the person he targeted will not die.

Billy Hargrove - Billy is a bully, who mistreated his sister Max and just about everyone who isn’t named Karen Wheeler. Billy will be able to block one person’s night abilities every night, but never the same person two nights in a row.

The Mind Flayer - The Mind Flayer has the ability to possess creatures and people through its hive mind. In this game, the Mind Flayer will PM me one player a night to attempt to possess. If the player the Mind Flayer attempts to possess is Will Byers, then Will Byers’ vote every day going forward will secretly be changed to whoever the Mind Flayer votes for.

The Demogorgon - The Demogorgon is a predatory humanoid creature that hunted, kidnapped, and killed various people in Hawkins. The Demogorgon’s vote will be doubled if the person they voted for is involved in a randomizer. NOTE: The people involved in the randomizer must have two votes minimum in order for the Demogorgon's vote to be doubled.

Innocents

Eleven - Eleven is a girl who possesses telekinetic powers that often prove to be Hawkins’ best way to combat the terrors of the Upside Down. Eleven will have one instakill that she can use during the game.

Jim Hopper - “Hop” is the Hawkins Chief of Police. In this game, Hop is the detective. He will be able to investigate one person per night in order to discover their role.

Joyce Byers - Joyce is a caring and strong-willed mother who will do anything to make sure her kids are safe. Joyce is the doctor, and will be able to protect one person from being killed per night, but never the same person two nights in a row.

Will Byers - Will is a shy, but kind boy who is the original target of the creatures from the Upside Down. Will has the ability to search (investigate) for his friends (Mike Wheeler, Dustin Henderson, Lucas Sinclair) every night. He will not be told specific roles, only if he is successful in finding one of his friends. If he is successful, Will and his friend will be able to communicate for the rest of the game. This ability to search continues until Will is dead OR until he has found all of his friends.

Mike Wheeler, Dustin Henderson, & Lucas Sinclair - These three boys, along with Will Byers, are best friends for life. Mike, Dustin, and Lucas have no extra powers and are essentially regular innocents until Will investigates them.

Steve Harrington - Steve is everyone’s favorite antagonist turned protagonist. He might as well be the second mom of the Will, Mike, Dustin & Lucas group. Steve must include one of the following three words in at least one post every day: hair, bat, babysitter. If he fails to do this, he will die.

The rest of the players are regular innocents.

GAME RULES:

1. There will be no editing of posts.
2. The day will run from 7 a.m. Central through 9:05 p.m. Central, with the exception of Fridays, which will end at 7:05 p.m. Central.
3. Votes will count until 9:05 Central as stamped by the Cyclone Fanatic clock (7:05 p.m. Fridays).
4. Votes must be BOLDED or they will not count. If you are posting on mobile and don't get the formatting correct to bold the post, your post will not count.
5. No PMs between players unless your role allows it.
6. If you vote twice without rescinding, your first vote will count.
7. Specials will have until 8 a.m. to get stuff in. If everything comes in early I will do a night report, if not then I will do a morning report.
8. Missing a vote for two days total will result in a clap.
9. Do not directly reveal your role - though you may claim to be a regular innocent whether you are or aren’t actually a regular innocent.
10. I reserve the right to change the rules if I feel that it's necessary. Any changes will be clearly labeled.
11. In the case of ties in the lynching process, Random.org will be used to make the final decision.
12. Ghost post using off-color font.
13. If you have any questions about the game, PM the mayor (me).
14. HAVE FUN!

PLAYER LIST:

1. ISUCubswin - Lucas Sinclair, Mafia Kill Night 8
2. SCNCY - Regular Innocent, Lynched Day 8

3. bsaltyman - Will Byers, Night 6 Mafia Kill
4. cyfanatic13 - Regular Innocent, Lynched Day 9
5. CloniesForLife - Jim Hopper, Mafia Kill Night 4
6. VikesFan22 - Regular Innocent, Mafia Kill Night 7

7. cyguytillidie
8. MeowingCows - Regular Innocent, Lynched Day 6
9. michaelrr1 - The Demogorgon, Eleven Instakill Day 2
10. JM4CY - Eleven, Mafia Kill Night 5
11. CycloneNorth - Regular Innocent, Mafia Kill Night 3

12. cyfan21
13. CyArob - Regular Innocent, Mafia Kill Night 1
14. PSYclone22 - Regular Innocent, Mafia Kill Night 2
15. moores2 - Regular Innocent, Vecna Kill Day 4
16. azhuth09 - Regular Innocent, Lynched Day 2
17. CtownCyclone - Regular Innocent, Lynched Day 1
18. GBlade - Regular Innocent, Lynched Day 7

19. Cyclonscin
20. cyclonespiker33 - The Mind Flayer, Lynched Day 4
21. gipper2001 - Billy Hargrove, Lynched Day 3

22. SaraV - Dustin Henderson, Lynched Day 5
23. discydisc - Steve Harrington, Self Kill Day 5

You can watch an endless AI generated Seinfeld knockoff

Seems like new and strange applications of AI are popping up everywhere these days. Now we have an endlessly generated Seinfeld knockoff. It's fascinating and hilarious in it's awkwardness. On one hand it shows how far AI has to go, especially when it comes to something like comedy. On the other hand it also shows mankinds AI dystopian hell is probably just around the corner.
Login to view embedded media
Reactions: Cyclonepride

Looking Ahead to the UNI Dual

This is going to be a tough dual. Schwab has done a hell of a job in Cedar Falls and they are wrestling extremely well this year.

125- Hoping we see Perryman or Cabanban vs Golhoffer. This is a must win for the clones to win the dual in my opinion. Cabanban beat Golhoffer 2-1 earlier this year at the Daktronics invitational.

133- Redding/Ramazan vs #11 Biscoglia. Ramazan has struggled with Biscoglia in the past (0-2) and Redding is 1-0 vs Biscoglia. I am guessing we see Redding again and hopefully it is a good week of weight management. If not, Biscoglia will win this match.

141- Swiderski vs #10 Happel. Happel got beat by Schwartz and Young the same weekend that Swiderski did. This is a winnable match for Casey, we just need to see the Casey from the last minute of the Matthews match to show up for 7 minutes. This will be a big match to get Casey back on track for Big 12s.

149- Paniro vs #14 Realbuto. Paniro should win this match, but Realbuto is tough. I am expecting Paniro to win a 5-3 or 6-5 type match. If he is able to win by 4+ points and win comfortably, that will be a very good showing.

157- Kraisser vs #20 Holschlag. UNI is favored here, and I think Holschlag ends up beating Kraisser. However, Kraisser has been wrestling better as of late and is starting to get to the legs on shots instead of going upper body. A win here will go a long way towards earning an allocation at 157 for the Big 12s, and building an At-Large resume if he falls short of an allocation spot in Tulsa.

165- Carr vs #13 Yant. A bonus would go a long way for the team here, but Yant is tough to score on. I expect him to try and slow things down the way everyone does against David. David has been wrestling really well lately, but I see this being an 8-2 or 7-3 type match.

174- Broderson vs #24 Runyon. Broderson has not been wrestling well of late and Runyon is 1-0 against Julien all time. We will be underdogs here. If Julien can stay solid and leg attack instead of going upper body, we have a chance.

184- Coleman vs #2 Keckeisen. Parker is 2-0 all time vs Marcus and is a beast. Marcus will be the underdog here, but I think it will be close. A win shows that Marcus has taken another step up and is truly a contender to be wrestling Saturday Night at NCAAs.

197- Bastida vs Glasser or Voelker. Absolutely need bonus here, and Yonger should pick Glasser apart. Should at least be a major, but hoping for a tech. It wouldn't shock me if Doug sent out Voelker at 197 either, but I still think Yonger majors Wyatt

Hwt- Schyler vs #15 Gordon. Gordon has impressed this year, but I am not betting against Sammy right now. It will probably be a close match, but I expect Sam to win it.

Overall, we are favored at 149, 165, 197, and hwt. UNI is favored at 133, 141, 157, 174, 184. 125 is a true tossup in my opinion. We need to steal one of 133, 141, or 157 to win the dual. Being that it is in Cedar Falls, that will be a tall task. However, I have Iowa State winning the dual 16-15 with Perryman getting a W at 125 (no inside information, just guessing we might see him), Yonger getting a major at 197 and Sammy cleaning it up at Hwt to win the dual for a 2nd year in a row.

Stop!

I wish everyone would stop beating up Robert Jones. Sometimes I feel like I am not watching the same game as half the people on here.
I understand he is in an offensive "slump". I also understand that some of those "bunnies" weren't really that easy. Let's not forget Gabe and Grill's offensive slumps that lasted games upon games. TJ had faith in them that they would come around, as it appears he also does for Jones. But, even when he is missing the "bunnies" I love his aggression. He is keeping the other team honest is covering our big men.
But I truly do not understand the ragging of his defense! Do you not see the multiple responsibilities he takes on. Top of the key, underneath the bucket, weak side and baseline! He is hustling to cover EVERY possession. He is blocking out EVERY possession. He is getting down the court EVERY possession. When a team plays this level of aggressive defense, getting beat is the risk. And every player on the court gets beat every game, but not more often than we force the turnovers!
Let's be kind and appreciate every member of our team...... as TJ does.
Robert Jones still has big games to come! But what he is contributing in the mean time I appreciate!

Twister Sister Summary - where did the guard court go?

Baylor

Baylor has been the Bain of Iowa States existence for years. Even now when they are down compared to years past they are still buzzing around the upper echelon of the conference. I commented before the game that would be the first time in ages that they didn’t come to down with a dominant post player in tow.

The game got off to a tough start shooting for the ladies. Ryan had some early difficulties against Baylor pressure just as we’ve seen against KSU and Texas.

Twice in a row the Baylor point guard drove right past Diew as she is just a step slow reacting on defense. Three straight defensive breakdowns ended up being easy baskets for Baylor.

What has unfortunately become a pattern…the offense was struggling to make shots and the defense was getting picked apart. It amounted to an early 14-9 lead for Baylor.

One of the typical scoring droughts and an 8-0 Baylor run is cut off by a Joens trey. Sadly and a sign of the evening this was her only make.

The offense did finally woke up and went on a run fueled by solid defensive switching. At the end of the first quarter some nifty baskets by Joens gave ISU the lead 21-20.

The 2nd started with Diew hitting a wild one and Joens getting one of her own.

Diew was still struggling on defense and Coach Fen commented after the game it was a trade off he had to take. She just seems to be slow reacting to a first step of a drive and sometimes seems lost in there.

Something you don’t see often is Joens having an air ball on a three. That’s about as close as most of the team got shooting from deep tonight.

So far Joens had 15 of our 25 points.

The best way to describe the game at times is that it was a scrum out there. Lots of missed contact or at least no calls. Both teams stingy on defense. With 5 left ISU was leading 27-25

Baylor was taking over and crept to a 31-29 lead thanks to an NBA travel for two, but Ryan tied it with two FT.

the officials called an egregious foul on Kane turning the ball over. Baylor leads 33-31 at half as the offense just couldn’t get a shot to fall and had too many turnovers.

The lack of consistent calls by the officials are really impacting the game. Right before Kane was called for her foul Baylor got away with literally shoving Ryan as she drove.

Statistically this one was about as even as it gets with the major diff being our terrible three point shooting (15%). Sadly, this wasn’t going to get better.

Baylor ended the half on a 11-4 run.

To start the 3rd I was hoping for a quick start out of the gate but we are shooting blanks from everywhere.

The offense is just a lot of dribbling by Ryan and poor passes. M&M was getting some minutes and is a mess out there.

Diew drove for the first points and got the harm. The Diew then got another two on a nice feed by Ryan we followed up by leaving Baylor wide open for a three.

Diew answered with her own three and it was 40-39 Baylor with 5 left. Man the girl has some excitement!

So far our guards had combined for six points (two each) they have to start contributing and soon.

Defense was getting called for ticky tack crap and then had a break down on top of it. Offense was non-existent again. Three min left and the ladies had only scored 10. Three point shooting is colder than a strong north wind. 3-19 so far

Diew was the only offense the team had in the second half inside and out. She had 21 so far clearly having her best offensive game of the season.

Wow…Ashley misses at the line? She did hit one to retake the lead 49-48.

Ryan had a chance at a wide open layup…and misses. Just part of the story of the night. At the end of three it was 49-48 Sisters.

Would the fourth be when the guard court wakes up? It was…just the wrong team.

As good as Diew was playing on offense she sure has some lapses on D. She obviously kept ISU in the game, but probably gave up 10 easy points to Baylor. Beyond that Baylor had an answer for everything the ladies did.

Ryan had a tough night and it wasn’t all Baylor. For example, one of her turnovers was a pass directly to Baylor leading to an easy two and the lead.

Baylor would hit a beautiful three and then gets the NBA continuation after a foul for a traditional three. ISU down five in a hurry as our offense continues to be absent. There was five min to go and the ladies were really struggling.

Finally Donarski rains a trey and then makes 1-2 FT. She would be the only guard to show any semblance of offensive life in the game. Ryan would make another poor choice passing inside and Baylor scored on the other end. Too many easy scores for them for sure.

It was frustrating to watch the offense standing around while Ryan dribbles around. The inability to hit a jump shot just killed the team tonight.

With 1 min left and down six it was desperation time. It was just too late and for every point the sisters scored, Baylor would cooly make free throws at the other end.

In my opinion, this one will likely eliminate any chance at winning the conference barring a collapse by Texas or OU. Outside of atrocious officiating the difference in the game was the inability to hit the deep ball. Our guards (until D showed up late) were non entities. Ryan was a bit of a mess out there. 7 turnovers are killer despite 12 assists.

In our last possession we miss four bunnies and the clock is done

Final Baylor 76-70.

Observations

POG - Diew. We saw a wide range of scoring from the lanky forward. There were some defensive lapses, but without her the sisters aren’t in this game.

Joens - did her damage in the first half offensively. Like the rest of the team she struggled to find any offense in the second.

Ryan. Woof. Another game were pressure caused problems. 12 assists, but 7 turnovers add to that she didn’t score a single basket. Even missed a couple of easy layups. Likely will set the record for most dribbles in one game.

Fritz. She was tenacious on defense and MIA on offense. Two baskets.

Donarski. Finally showed some offense in the late part of the game. Going into the 4th had 2 points. Ended up with 12 thanks to some late heroics. Needed what she was doing to start a lot sooner.

Kane. Didn’t see much time as she was too slow to play against Baylor. 4 points, 2 rebounds, 3 fouls (1 bogus) and 2 turnovers in 9 min.

M&M. Another game of struggle for the senior guard. It seems what’s happening has gotten into her psyche as every part of her game is tentative.

Rebounds. Got out rebounded and while there were only 9 offensive given up…they were damaging.

Free throws. We are seeing too many misses. It used to be the team was automatic. Now even this part of the game is showing cracks. Baylor (mainly due to the end of the game) scored 5 more here.

Three point shooting. Double woof. Triple woof. Most of the team outside of Diew could barely draw iron. 5-24 with Diew making 3-4. 2-20 from the rest of the team will sink the sisters every time. And…there were plenty of wide open looks.

So what’s going on here? The sisters are in a bit of a spiral as they’ve lost their offense and the defense suffers way too many lapses. I mentioned last game about dysfunction. This game was worse. When your guard court only scores 18 points total from three players and two of them have only six points…you have a serious problem.

Then there is the bench. M&M is barely serviceable right now. The posts aren’t a threat at all. So where do you go?

Finally, the offense. Beyond the struggles of the shooters I find the lack of flow to be concerning. Most of the evening saw Ryan dribbling seemingly forever with four other players standing around the perimeter. That’s a slight over exaggeration, but not much. Leaving the game my wife asked me what the name for that kind of offense was…I can’t print my response here.

So…this one was a stab to the gut. The team is quickly falling to the middle of the pack. Hopes of a conference title are fading. The ladies have a week off and I hope they get some rest and find themselves. There are a bunch of tough games at home and on the road ahead.

RIP Melinda Dillon

Most famous for playing the mom in A Christmas Story, she was 83.

Many probably didn’t know she was a two time Oscar nominee as well.

She’s also in one of my favorite movies of all time, Magnolia.

Reactions: Angie

• Poll
Player of the game: Kansas

Player of the game

• Jaren Holmes. 15 points (all in 2nd half), 6 rebounds

Votes: 86 41.7%
  • Tamin Lipsey. 9 points, 10 assists, 8 rebounds

Votes: 94 45.6%
  • Osun Osunniyi. 13 points, 5 rebounds

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • Tre King. 10 points, 5 rebounds (first half spark)

Votes: 16 7.8%
  • Other

Votes: 3 1.5%

Tough choice, good problem to have.

STANZ: Holmes' second-half brilliance leads Iowa State past Kansas in Ames

Enjoy.

Need a reason to stop watching WHO TV News (channel 13)?

Zach Fisher, who anchors their Saturday morning news said at the end of this morning's newscast "To all you Cyclone fans out there, rock chalk jay hawk". I had to rewind and play it back again because I thought I must have misunderstood what he said.

Then I googled him and found this in his bio on WHO's website:

"I went to the University of Kansas, Rock Chalk, but I am a Hawkeye fan at heart. So I have two different angles of dislike for the Cyclones."
1675528858649.png

Filter