What needs to be done on the road to win a Big 12 championship?

What road games are must wins to compete for a Big 12 title?

• West Virginia

Votes: 127 60.2%
  • Kansas State

Votes: 63 29.9%
  • Texas

Votes: 162 76.8%
  • Baylor

Votes: 26 12.3%

• Total voters

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
What remaining road games will Iowa State most likely need to win to win the Big 12 in 2023?

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
Looking at those remaining road games has to make the TTU loss hard for the ISU coaches to put behind them. I think we find a way to win 1 of those remaining 4 but not sure which one.

Reactions: agentbear

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
Win out at home and get 1 on the road and we might have a shot. I voted Texas though because I think they will win the conference.
Yeah I think at Baylor and at Kstate are hornet nest type games. Others are more winnable.

Having said that TX is hot so I'm not confident there. The interim coach they have has really been impressive.

Reactions: Cyclones8824

Jayshellberg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 4, 2016
Omaha
If ISU wins two of the four remaining road games as well as their remaining home games, that would put them at 13-5 in the Big 12 and likely give them a share of the title. I am not sure it matters which two road games they win. However, a win at Texas would give the Longhorns another loss, making it easier for ISU to catch them.

Acer88

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 1, 2022
South Dakota
Win out at home and get 1 on the road and we might have a shot. I voted Texas though because I think they will win the conference.
I believe that they need to go 6-2 in the remaining conference schedule to finish at the top of the Big 12. I don’t care which six they win, but it we be great if they win out at home and sweeping Texas would probably really help chances.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Winning out at home is 11-7. Probably not gonna get it done. 12-6 might. I think 13-5 will for sure

So just win 2 of the road games left. Dont care who it's agaisnt just get it done.

We split with KU already. Can sweep TCU, Baylor, Kansas State, and Texas as well. Our shots at a title move way up higher should we beat any of them. Also, we should cheer for teams to sweep each other as well for tiebreaker reasons. We cant go worse than 500 in that situation

• Agree
Reactions: Jayshellberg

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
If ISU wins two of the four remaining road games as well as their remaining home games, that would put them at 13-5 in the Big 12 and likely give them a share of the title. I am not sure it matters which two road games they win. However, a win at Texas would give the Longhorns another loss, making it easier for ISU to catch them.
Sweeping Texas would obviously be huge, but I still think there’s a team lurking that nobody is talking about and it’s the team thought to be the favorite going into the year: Baylor. That team is playing serious bball right now and they are healthy. They have wins on the road at WVU, Tech and OU to offset their early struggles. Just missed out on a big win in Austin last week, which would have been big for them.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Winning out at home is 11-7. Probably not gonna get it done. 12-6 might. I think 13-5 will for sure

So just win 2 of the road games left. Dont care who it's agaisnt just get it done.

We split with KU already. Can sweep TCU, Baylor, Kansas State, and Texas as well. Our shots at a title move way up higher should we beat any of them. Also, we should cheer for teams to sweep each other as well for tiebreaker reasons. We cant go worse than 500 in that situation
I assume Miles is still out for TCU when we play them? That should give us a good shot although they seem to play well in Ames the last few years. We should also sweep Oklahoma.

Any of the other 3 would be huge road wins and give us the tiebreaker over those teams.

Jayshellberg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 4, 2016
Omaha
Sweeping Texas would obviously be huge, but I still think there’s a team lurking that nobody is talking about and it’s the team thought to be the favorite going into the year: Baylor. That team is playing serious bball right now and they are healthy. They have wins on the road at WVU, Tech and OU to offset their early struggles. Just missed out on a big win in Austin last week, which would have been big for them.
Baylor is solid and will be in the mix. However, they also have four losses with road trips to Lawrence and Manhattan remaining. My guess is they will have at least two more losses, putting them at 12-6 at the best.

Jayshellberg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 4, 2016
Omaha

Texas only has two losses right now. Looking at their remaining eight games, it’s hard to envision them going 4-4. That’s why I don’t think 12-6 will be good enough to win the Big 12 this year.

Reactions: Acer88

Acer88

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 1, 2022
South Dakota
I have a hard time believing that Texas loses more than 3 games in their remaining schedule based on their recent play. I think that there is a strong probability that ISU needs to beat Texas to finish at the top, besides 5 other wins

Reactions: Jayshellberg

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Baylor could lose in Lawrence and Manhattan, but the way they are playing it wouldn’t be out of the question for them to win both. KU has not been great at home this year despite their record. They have survived multiple times in conference play and got destroyed by TCU. Texas just won in Manhattan and Baylor 100% has the guard play to go in there and win.