Writing a column, would love some input

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
I am writing a column about the future of the Big 12 if certain things happen (Texas leaving etc.)

If the Big 12 needed to fill three spots, who would you want. Right now, I have Arkansas, TCU and Tulsa circled. Houston is an option that I gave a lot of thought to.

What do you Fanatics think? I'm just interested in the tone of our fan base about this topic. No right or wrong answers. Just brainstorming.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I am writing a column about the future of the Big 12 if certain things happen (Texas leaving etc.)

If the Big 12 needed to fill three spots, who would you want. Right now, I have Arkansas, TCU and Tulsa circled. Houston is an option that I gave a lot of thought to.

What do you Fanatics think? I'm just interested in the tone of our fan base about this topic. No right or wrong answers. Just brainstorming.

I have a spreadsheet at home where I did some coonference realignment scenarios. I'll send them to you.

And before you say anything, yes I do have a lot of spare time.

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa
The odds of this happening have to be so low. I didn't even think about it too hard but Houston or TCU would have to be included right?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
There are no great answers really. If texas left with TAMU the big 12 just lost the texas tv audience, and while it would make sense to then add say TCU\Houston, thats a big drop in fanbase\prestige. Now, those teams were playing up with the likes of Texas\TAMU just 15 years ago, so over time in a BCS conference maybe they could grow into it again, but in the short run itd be a big drop.

If colorado got picked off by the PAC-10, thats probably the least 'disruptive' change, as i think we could find an adequate replacement. Mizzou would also be a pretty decent hit, as itd take a chunk out of the STL\KC markets and also further isolate ISU up in the north.

As a side question what happened with the SWC when it failed, maybe someone could answer, why did it fail? Any similarities at all to the things that seem to be causing division amongst big 12 members today?

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
TCU, Arkansas, and Utah would be the top 3

But I think there is no chance of Texas leaving for the Big 10

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
TCU, Arkansas, and Utah would be the top 3

But I think there is no chance of Texas leaving for the Big 10

I agree that it is a long shot but Texas has no loyalty to the Big 12. They wanted to join the PAC 10 before joining up with the Big 8. With the money that the Big Ten can toss their way (like they really need any more right), I wouldn't be shocked to see them go.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008

I guess that would all depend on what teams leave the Big XII. If we lose a North team I wouldn't be very excited about adding another strong south team etc...

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Three pretty unreasonable choices

1. Illinois-They have a big time basketball program and a football program with the resources to become respectable. They would never come here though. That would be financial suicide as they are bringing in a bunch of money from the Big Ten they would not get here.

2. Iowa-Huge football base with great academics and the resources to someday have a basketball program. They would also never come due to revue and the fact they are nto built to play in the Big 12

3. Minnesota-They seem to be on the rise with basketball, however they haven't taken off in football. This is another team that would not come here because of the revenue they would give up.

Last three in:

1. Arkansas-This just makes sense. They are geographically correct and they would want to come here. They have been sitting around in the middle of the SEC for too long. I think they would come over if beckoned.

2. Houston-I really think Houston is a conference away from being a contender. They have some basketball history and their football program has been on the rise lately. If they could offer BCS football I think they could really start to become a pretty good team.

3. Utah-Great football and good basketball. Athletically they are probably the most well rounded team to fit into the equation. The geography is not perfect and they don't form natural rivalries, however they would compete.

First three out

1. TCU-They are a football powerhouse now but they struggle to get fan support of any kind and they are not particularily good at basketball. I just don't think they bring as much as other options.

2. Tulsa-Decent basketball, marginal football. They would fit great geographically, however I do not know they bring the clout that is really needed to be a Big 12 team

3. Baylor-Wait........

superfan

Oct 8, 2006
League City, TX
TCU brings virtually nothing to the Big XII. You're basically looking at Baylor 2.0. Houston does not have a large fanbase, either, but that could change in the Big XII with improved competition. I don't know if they could hang academically, though...aren't they a Tier 4 school?

If your heart is set on the DFW market (which is already pretty cornered by UT, A&M, and OU), what about Southern Methodist? Better academically AND bigger than TCU, lots of history (old SWC member) and starting to get back on their feet.

If you're going to bring 2 schools in, though. I'd have my sights set on Utah and BYU. If the Big XII doesn't want to expand further west, what about Colorado State or the AFA?

d4nim4l

Apr 23, 2008
West Des Moines, IA

A whole host of things would shake out I think.

If Texas left I would almost guarantee that Texas A&M would have to come with, which would give the Big Ten an unbalanced 13 teams. If that is the case I say they either poach Missouri to get that TV market or Pitt to add back the Penn State and Pitt rivalry.

If we lose the big dog in the fight (Texas) the Big XII would do one of two things. Either refocus on the south and add in Houston and TCU for their markets. However, on a large scale, no one cares about those schools in the state. As for adding a northern team they either move OSU to the north and add another Texas school or they snag BYU from the MWC along with TCU.

Arkansas has it too good in the SEC money wise to leave for the Big XII.

The second thing, and incredibly unlikely, is for the Big XII to focus on its Big 8 roots and drop the remaining Texas schools (Baylor and Tech) and temporarily leave the conference with 7 teams. Then they go hunting in the mountains for BYU, Boise St, Utah, Colorado St, etc. This all assumes the Pac 10 does not snag Colorado, Boise, Utah or some other combination.

No matter which way you slice or spin it, the Big XII's respect will tank the second Texas were to leave the conference.

pyrocyz

Jun 2, 2006
Ames
What about Louisville. A little further east than I think people would like to go, but they would definitely bring something to the conference.

Other than that I would like to see Houston, TCU, Utah, even UNLV.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Everybody has big 12 expanding west. Would it be crazy for them to try to pick up a C-USA team like Memphis? Or like Pyrocyz said, Louisville from the Big East?

d4nim4l

Apr 23, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
As a side question what happened with the SWC when it failed, maybe someone could answer, why did it fail? Any similarities at all to the things that seem to be causing division amongst big 12 members today?

Basically the same thing the Big XII faces if we lose Texas and Texas A&M. They lost TV sets and teams that people actually care about.

Most of the SWC schools went on to the MWC or C-USA. Actually I think C-USA was born out of the SWC.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
I heard the other day on the radio that some guy from the Big 10 Network thinks the Power 6 conferences will eventually turn into the Power 4. With the Pac 10 and Big XII being eliminated. Thought that was kind of interesting.

Cy Hard

Jan 5, 2008
Polka City
Since this is a hypothetical. I say if these 3 teams left, the Big 12 would find a way to get a network going prompting teams from other BCS conferences to our league. So I say we go after Big Ten or even Pac-10 schools.

d4nim4l

Apr 23, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
Everybody has big 12 expanding west. Would it be crazy for them to try to pick up a C-USA team like Memphis? Or like Pyrocyz said, Louisville from the Big East?

What about Louisville. A little further east than I think people would like to go, but they would definitely bring something to the conference.

Other than that I would like to see Houston, TCU, Utah, even UNLV.

I would agree with the thoughts about picking off some C-USA teams other than Houston. It would lend to my idea that we would go back to the old Big 8 roots and cut off the Texas schools. Make it more a heartland based conference.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I heard the other day on the radio that some guy from the Big 10 Network thinks the Power 6 conferences will eventually turn into the Power 4. With the Pac 10 and Big XII being eliminated. Thought that was kind of interesting.

Really? I would think we'd see the Big East or ACC gone before the Pac-10. Maybe the Big 12, but who would absorb all those West coast teams?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron