Writing a column, would love some input

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I am writing a column about the future of the Big 12 if certain things happen (Texas leaving etc.)

If the Big 12 needed to fill three spots, who would you want. Right now, I have Arkansas, TCU and Tulsa circled. Houston is an option that I gave a lot of thought to.

What do you Fanatics think? I'm just interested in the tone of our fan base about this topic. No right or wrong answers. Just brainstorming.

TCU, Arkansas, Minnesota State or Louisville.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
People....No major conference school would leave there conference to come to the Big 12. The Big 12, monetarily speaking, is a joke to the other conferences. Our entire media share is dependent on the state of Texas. I know Iowans have tons of pride but if we face it the states of Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Nebraska and Oklahoma don't have enough TV screens to be a major conference. Kentucky, Arkansas, Louisville, any other Major Conference school is not going to join the Big 12, it just aint going to happen. If Texas leaves it will be the end of the Big 12 conference. We will start becoming rivals with the likes of Kent State or Colorado State if Texas leaves.

galactawitz

Nov 27, 2007
Ames
This was posted by Jon Miller on Hawkeye Nation. Long read but has a TON of interesting details on why things may fall apart in the Big 12.

Barking Carnival — Blog — Being Bill Powers

I find this part at the very end of the story the most disturbing. Reason being its true, we at ISU have very few cards to play in this deal. "Feel a bit sorry for Iowa State, which is a decent research university but adds neither new TV sets nor new Senators to the expanded Big 10."

I started a thread on What Happens to ISU a few days ago as I really am concerned about it. However, if as the article talks about 7 teams from the big 12 go, I don't see how on earth they wouldn't take Iowa State, even if we don't have a lot of Glitz to add.

galactawitz

Nov 27, 2007
Ames
People....No major conference school would leave there conference to come to the Big 12. The Big 12, monetarily speaking, is a joke to the other conferences. Our entire media share is dependent on the state of Texas. I know Iowans have tons of pride but if we face it the states of Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Nebraska and Oklahoma don't have enough TV screens to be a major conference. Kentucky, Arkansas, Louisville, any other Major Conference school is not going to join the Big 12, it just aint going to happen. If Texas leaves it will be the end of the Big 12 conference. We will start becoming rivals with the likes of Kent State or Colorado State if Texas leaves.

Well, if we are looking for positives, we should have some of the nicest facilities in the new WTF conference.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I am writing a column about the future of the Big 12 if certain things happen (Texas leaving etc.)

If the Big 12 needed to fill three spots, who would you want. Right now, I have Arkansas, TCU and Tulsa circled. Houston is an option that I gave a lot of thought to.

What do you Fanatics think? I'm just interested in the tone of our fan base about this topic. No right or wrong answers. Just brainstorming.

1. Utah - a strong academic university with both football and basketball programs ready to move up to an elite conference. Plus, when thinking expansion, you should always think moving West.

2. Arizona State - on paper, the most complete university that matches the Big 12. Strong football program, decent men's and women's basketball, and a struggling wrestling program that could be saved with a jump to the Big 12. Also adds access to recruits in the Southwest and California. If the Pac-10 is pursuing Colorado, then why not consider adding ASU?

3. Louisville/Notre Dame - Louisville seems like the best third option with their elite basketball program and a football team looking to bounce back to their performance when Petrino was coaching, but I think the team to pursue would be Notre Dame. The Irish are the Moby **** of college football and whichever conference could lure them would be able to bring NBC with. A Texas move to the Big 10 or Pac 10 may not look as bad if N.D. fills their place.

galactawitz

Nov 27, 2007
Ames
If we are truly talking "SUPER CONFERENCES" with 16-20 teams in them, maybe the conference breakup could be similar to NFL or MLB.

East:
Michigan
Mich St.
Ohio St.
Penn State
Pitt

West:
Nebraska
ISU
Kansas
Missouri
Iowa

South:
Texas
TA&M
Oklahoma
OK St
Tech

North:
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Indiana
NW
Illinois

Obviously the likelyhood of a conference this size is not good, but the idea here is that even at 16 teams, conferences could divide up by 4 divisions. You could play each school in division twice then rotate the others with a champion at the end. An alignment like this also keeps most rivalries together, although I moved Iowa to a west school just to make it work.

galactawitz

Nov 27, 2007
Ames
If the Big 12 needed to fill three spots:

first off if the Big 12 needs to fill 3 spots, I don't think this is even a discussion because the conference is done IMO. For fun then I say Arkansas, Louisville, and UNLV are some intriguing choices.

Madclone1

Oct 21, 2007
Write how disgusting it is that KXNO keeps pimping Nebraska, Missouri, and Kansas without mentioning ISU. Fire the Nebraskan transplant for pimping his own product.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron