Worst place to live in Iowa (in regards to hawkeye fans)?

Cy4Lifer

Dec 21, 2010
Let's have some input CF. Where are the worst places to live in our state as far as having to deal with the most obnoxious hawkeye fans. (Obvious answer, of course, is Iowa City, and maybe Cedar Rapids, but where else?

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Cedar Rapids Marion area. It just smells like a giant toilet! I don't mean to offend anyone but the first thing I noticed was the smell as I was driving through.

Cy4Lifer

Dec 21, 2010
Cedar Rapids Marion area. It just smells like a giant toilet! I don't mean to offend anyone but the first thing I noticed was the smell as I was driving through.

Is this possibly due to strong southerly winds?

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Growing up in Dubuque, I never hear the end of it from the NICC drop outs when Iowa beats ISU (very nice to have nearly 2 years off from this BTW). Dubuque is like 75% Hawkeye, 20% Wisconsin, 5% Iowa State.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Let's have some input CF. Where are the worst places to live in our state as far as having to deal with the most obnoxious hawkeye fans. (Obvious answer, of course, is Iowa City, and maybe Cedar Rapids, but where else?

Growing up in Dubuque, I never hear the end of it from the NICC drop outs when Iowa beats ISU (very nice to have nearly 2 years off from this BTW). Dubuque is like 75% Hawkeye, 20% Wisconsin, 5% Iowa State.

Having lived in Iowa City and near Dubuque, I'm gonna have to go with chuckd here. While you're completely surrounded with Iowa fans here in the IC area...a good percentage of them actually went to college, so when they realize I'm an ISU fan because I'm an alum...most of them are cool about it.

The tavernhawks in the dubuque area don't get it. At my last job, there was a receptionist who was a huge tavernhawk...season tickets and the works. She was all excited about homecoming, and I finally said, "wait, you didn't even go to school there, what's big about homecoming?" Her response: Well, every week we go down and get drunk, but on homecoming, we go down and get REALLY drunk.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Living in Cedar Rapids for almost 2 years, I am very surprised to see so many ISU alum/fans. There are more Iowa fans but not as big as a ratio as you think. Maybe 60/40 in favor of Hawk fans. And yes, some parts of town smell like a sewer. The worst is ADM along highway 30.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Any of the old river towns in Eastern Iowa....DQ, Muscatine, QC, Keokuk, Burlington, and all the small towns in between....

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Cedar Rapids: The City of Five Smells.

The smells have changed over the years. I think the meatpacking/slaughterhouse was been replaced by ADM.

1. Quaker Oats downtown (although crunchberry smell is actually kind of neat on those days)
2. ADM (world's largest and most horrible corn-boil)
3. Mt Trashmore (where's a good place for a landfill? right downtown next to the river? great idea!)
4. The glorious Cedar river (where fish go to die and rot on the shore)
5. The Eternal Flame of the Sewage Treatment Plant

My personal favorite is the sewage plant. They always say they don't give off any smells or emissions. Really? Then WTF is the methane that you burn off 24/7/365 for the last 30 years? And it does smell bad.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009

I agree on NE Iowa / Dubuque. Grew up in Dbq county. In CR, there are a lot of ISU alum - more ISU alum than UofI alum! So you have some balance and can find ISU people.

"NICC dropouts" is a great description of the prototypical tavernhawk there. Loud, drunk, obnoxious, and never sniffed the Iowa campus.

This thread needs a poll.

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
I have lived in QC, DBQ, and Burlington. Burlington is the worst. Their newspaper is the Hawkeye. The biggest sports bar there will often refuse to televise ISU when you politely ask. When you wear ISU shirts shopping, you will get rude stares from shoppers and clerks and also derogatory comments from the shop owners and cashiers. A prominent restaurant there is owned by an ISU alum. His family (4) all work there and they all attended ISU; but no one talks about ISU and no pictures are displayed, because it would be boycotted by the tavernHawks. Stores there sell 90% EIU and 10% ISU clothing. There is an online survey that lists Burlington as the #1 hawkeye city by percentage (higher than IC). As a prank, we were going to cover the 7' x 20' Hawkeye display at the newspaper with a large Cyclone banner after the annual football victory, but we knew we would be lynched if caught. Mitch King owns a bar there.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I agree on NE Iowa / Dubuque. Grew up in Dbq county. In CR, there are a lot of ISU alum - more ISU alum than UofI alum! So you have some balance and can find ISU people.

"NICC dropouts" is a great description of the prototypical tavernhawk there. Loud, drunk, obnoxious, and never sniffed the Iowa campus.

This thread needs a poll.

Whar GTO?

SantaRosaCy

Jul 5, 2011
Santa Rosa, CA
I have lived in QC, DBQ, and Burlington. Burlington is the worst. Their newspaper is the Hawkeye. The biggest sports bar there will often refuse to televise ISU when you politely ask. When you wear ISU shirts shopping, you will get rude stares from shoppers and clerks and also derogatory comments from the shop owners and cashiers. A prominent restaurant there is owned by an ISU alum. His family (4) all work there and they all attended ISU; but no one talks about ISU and no pictures are displayed, because it would be boycotted by the tavernHawks. Stores there sell 90% EIU and 10% ISU clothing. There is an online survey that lists Burlington as the #1 hawkeye city by percentage (higher than IC). As a prank, we were going to cover the 7' x 20' Hawkeye display at the newspaper with a large Cyclone banner after the annual football victory, but we knew we would be lynched if caught. Mitch King owns a bar there.

SantaRosaCy

Jul 5, 2011
Santa Rosa, CA
hoosman I agree with you on Burlington; the trailer park element there thinks that turkey vulture logo qualifies as formal attire. I grew up there and remember when we beat Nebraska in "76" in football which was a footnote on page 4; while the hoks got clobbered like 56-7 and it was all over the first 3 pages. The paper has gotten better as multiple ISU grads are on staff there now. unfortunately they also know what sells papers.
I'm curious what bar would not turn on the Cyclone game for you? I tend to frequent the Drake when I'm back in town; as the owners do frequently sport Cyclone gear:)

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
CR

lyxz2.jpg

Help Support Us

Become a patron