Worst place to live in Iowa (in regards to hawkeye fans)?

TOFB4ISU

Nov 6, 2010
The QC
Cedar Rapids has the second largest ISU alumni base in the state and it's a pretty vocal group. It really isn't all that bad living there in regards to Hawkeyes.

The Quad Cities is far away the worst. It's not even close. And the Quad Cities still has more ISU alumni than Iowa.
I actually think the QC is not as bad as it used to be.

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008
Cedar Rapids: The City of Five Smells.
Are some of you ex-Kirkwood students who never left the extreme SW side while in school?? Yes, I have known many.

They're from some podunk Iowa town and never left their Kirkwood-area apartments for two years, choosing drunken parties

They never, ever experienced the local culture/Arts/local restaurants in CR, other than Subway or Kum & go near Kirkwood.

Good lord...Parts of Keokuk, Burlington, Davenport, Muscatine, Council Bluffs, Waterloo, and several other meth head ghetto/areas are far worse than CR/Marion. hell-holes.

As far as hawk fans here, yes---most are small-town ******* transplants....who love their Hawks but are Kirkwood, NiAAC, Loras, UNI grads,,,,,,,and hate ISU through their Hawkeye-colored sunglasses.

And yes--the UNI grads here (who wear black and gold to UNI-Iowa FB games) are the worst

Last edited:

Cy4Lifer

Dec 21, 2010
I agree on NE Iowa / Dubuque. Grew up in Dbq county. In CR, there are a lot of ISU alum - more ISU alum than UofI alum! So you have some balance and can find ISU people.

"NICC dropouts" is a great description of the prototypical tavernhawk there. Loud, drunk, obnoxious, and never sniffed the Iowa campus.

This thread needs a poll.

Can anyone make this poll a reality?

huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
I put one of the ISU yard signs in my lawn right after the Cedar Rapids tailgate tour stop. It was gone the next morning...

That's really crappy. I have a few rock chips on my car and I swear it's because I have ISU plates. I only live 2 miles from work and there's no gravel or high speeds to get there...

That's why my Cyclone flag is inside with a flood light pointed at it through the window.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Let's have some input CF. Where are the worst places to live in our state as far as having to deal with the most obnoxious hawkeye fans. (Obvious answer, of course, is Iowa City, and maybe Cedar Rapids, but where else?

Sigourney. Lots of Hawk fans, and the town itself pretty much sucks. Wouldn't want to live there. :no6xn:

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
That's really crappy. I have a few rock chips on my car and I swear it's because I have ISU plates. I only live 2 miles from work and there's no gravel or high speeds to get there...

That's why my Cyclone flag is inside with a flood light pointed at it through the window.

I had an I State decal on my car and even though I lived in San Angelo Texas someone had scratched "Suck" under the decal. I notice more Tiger Hawk logos in the area after that... weird coincidence... probably not.

Last edited:

clonefreek

Jun 24, 2009
ames
Ottumwa, 95% hawk fans. A ton of personalized license plates and about 1% actually went to the school. When I go home and wear an Iowa State shirt (which is always) I hear so much **** from local Hok fans. Logic and Facts mean nothing to them.

bc1379

Dec 13, 2008
Having lived in Iowa City and near Dubuque, I'm gonna have to go with chuckd here. While you're completely surrounded with Iowa fans here in the IC area...a good percentage of them actually went to college, so when they realize I'm an ISU fan because I'm an alum...most of them are cool about it.

The tavernhawks in the dubuque area don't get it. At my last job, there was a receptionist who was a huge tavernhawk...season tickets and the works. She was all excited about homecoming, and I finally said, "wait, you didn't even go to school there, what's big about homecoming?" Her response: Well, every week we go down and get drunk, but on homecoming, we go down and get REALLY drunk.

I've lived in IC for 8 years now and when friends ask me what it's like to live in IC when I'm such a Clone fan, I tell them the sane Hawk fans live in IC. Lived in DM for 12 years after graduation and had more vitriol sent my way than I ever have in IC. May get some occasional ribbing from alums or clients, but its all good natured and never mean spirited. Have done some work at UofI and had the opportunity to meet some folks in athletics and have always had great interactions with all of them. My son wears ISU gear to school almost on a daily basis and rarely has any issues other than a little fun jabbing.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Sigourney. Lots of Hawk fans, and the town itself pretty much sucks. Wouldn't want to live there. :no6xn:

Ottumwa, 95% hawk fans. A ton of personalized license plates and about 1% actually went to the school. When I go home and wear an Iowa State shirt (which is always) I hear so much **** from local Hok fans. Logic and Facts mean nothing to them.

Pretty much all small towns South of I80 and East of HWY 63 are bad. Trashy meth-heads wearing Ed Hardy bro tanks and Tiger Hawk tattoos, that are loud-mouthed, drunk idiots who have never set foot on the UofI campus.

clonefreek

Jun 24, 2009
ames
Pretty much all small towns South of I80 and East of HWY 63 are bad. Trashy meth-heads wearing Ed Hardy bro tanks and Tiger Hawk tattoos, that are loud-mouthed, drunk idiots who have never set foot on the UofI campus.
Bingo...The kind that would fight you if you ever said a negative word about their beloved university.

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop
How small of a ***** do you have to have to do this to someone's property...oh, we're talking Hawkeyes.

My neighbors are hawkeye fans (not alum). Their kids and friends have no respect for our private property. We are putting up a fence to keep them off our property.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
anywhere in Iowa.....that has Hok fans in it.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I understand why loud "Tavern-Hawks" annoy people, but I'd love to have more non-alums become fans of Iowa State.

Why? To increase Wal-Marts sales? These people don't donate, or buy season tickets, they don't support anything other than the football team and the mens basketball team when it's convenient.

I think our alumni community is what sets ISU apart from the hoks and I wouldn't trade that for a small amount of money.

no2cyclones

Mariner Moose
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 26, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Why? To increase Wal-Marts sales? These people don't donate, or buy season tickets, they don't support anything other than the football team and the mens basketball team when it's convenient.

I think our alumni community is what sets ISU apart from the hoks and I wouldn't trade that for a small amount of money.

I'm not an Iowa State alum (Go Duhawks!), but I buy tickets to games whenever I able to make the trip to a game. I'm also not a typical "tavern" fan. There are plenty of people like me out there, who have family ties or other extraneous connections to the university who love these teams like a lot of alums never did. I've got cousins who went to Iowa State who never went to a single game while there. Not sure I follow your point. Would you like to clarify why you feel this way?

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Waterloo is pretty bad but I'd say the combined **** hole of Lee County, Des Moines County Van Buren County and Henry County takes the cake. You know how most people look down on the state directly south of them? Yeah those 4 counties are the exception to that rule.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron