Worst place to live in Iowa (in regards to hawkeye fans)?

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Sioux City used to be pretty bad like 40% Huskers, 50% Hawkeyes, 10% ISU.

I'd say in recent years it's more like 25% Huskers, 50% Hawkeyes, 25% ISU. ISU has at least double the sports fan presence there they did when I was growing up in the 80s and 90s.

The hawks in SC suck so hard because NU has legit history so they can't talk **** about that BUT they CAN talk **** to ISU fans. You're right though ISU fanhood has doubled since we were kids...

Why? To increase Wal-Marts sales? These people don't donate, or buy season tickets, they don't support anything other than the football team and the mens basketball team when it's convenient.

I think our alumni community is what sets ISU apart from the hoks and I wouldn't trade that for a small amount of money.

I get where you're coming from but casual fans augment the AD. Casual fans DO but tickets and merch even if not in the numbers we do. Plus, it's just good to see people wearing cardinal and gold. I knew we were making progress in SC when I saw guys that I'm pretty positive work at one of the packing plants wearing ISU stuff.

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
#1 sign of a jerk Hawkeye fan is the Tiger Hawk tattoo... they might as well place it on their forehead so I can easily avoid them. I've been in bars and been talking to people, noticed that something seemed a bit off and smug about them... I then see the tattoo down on their ankle and it all makes sense.

Question for all... what would your response be to a girl with a Tiger Hawk tattoo on her lower back?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I'm not an Iowa State alum (Go Duhawks!), but I buy tickets to games whenever I able to make the trip to a game. I'm also not a typical "tavern" fan. There are plenty of people like me out there, who have family ties or other extraneous connections to the university who love these teams like a lot of alums never did. I've got cousins who went to Iowa State who never went to a single game while there. Not sure I follow your point. Would you like to clarify why you feel this way?

Do you have Cyclones on your belly? I wasn't saying that non-alums can't be fans, but there's a difference between a tavernhok and non-alum fan.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
#1 sign of a jerk Hawkeye fan is the Tiger Hawk tattoo... they might as well place it on their forehead so I can easily avoid them. I've been in bars and been talking to people, noticed that something seemed a bit off and smug about them... I then see the tattoo down on their ankle and it all makes sense.

Question for all... what would your response be to a girl with a Tiger Hawk tattoo on her lower back?

Wear a rubber, dude.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

What is the question? :wideeyed:

nwiafan

Dec 22, 2008
Hawarden
Why? To increase Wal-Marts sales? These people don't donate, or buy season tickets, they don't support anything other than the football team and the mens basketball team when it's convenient.

I think our alumni community is what sets ISU apart from the hoks and I wouldn't trade that for a small amount of money.

I'm not an alumni (GO BEAVERS), but I have donated every year since I was even in college starting in 2003 and had season tickets for every year since 2005.

I also live 3 1/2 hours away from Ames, but drive for every home football game and as many basketball games as I can.

Last edited:

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion

If ISU had more fans, ISU would be more attractive when the next round of realignment occurs rather than being a candidate for the MAC, Sun Belt, MWC, AAC, or C-USA.

If ISU had more fans, we'd have greater access to media.

If ISU had more fans, there will still be an increase in tickets and sales.

I don't want the tavern fan, however I don't see an issue of having more non-alum fans.

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
I'm not an Iowa State alum (Go Duhawks!), but I buy tickets to games whenever I able to make the trip to a game. I'm also not a typical "tavern" fan. There are plenty of people like me out there, who have family ties or other extraneous connections to the university who love these teams like a lot of alums never did. I've got cousins who went to Iowa State who never went to a single game while there. Not sure I follow your point. Would you like to clarify why you feel this way?

Agree 100%. My parents didn't go to Iowa State as well, but are huge fans, season ticket holders, and donors.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Live in cedar falls and can vouch that the entire cedar valley and a 50 mile radius around it are pretty awful. I can attest as a UNI alum that the school is probably 50/30/20 in terms of Iowa/UNI/Iowa State fandom. Black shirts prevail on hok/panther game days, but then again I wear cardinal on cyclone/panther game days.

Not that I feel the need to justify it, but I will: Dad is an ISU alum and raised me right, and I can't get too excited about fcs football.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron