Who/What are Iowa's Best HS Sports Dynasties?

rdubbs

Feb 12, 2009
Central Iowa
wasn't asking about Harlan and presumably, each of the teams you've mentioned had one good year.

You've got a lot of Harlan info there. How 'bout you run these numbers for me; Harlan's record vs. Bishop Heelan in baseball, football and basketball since 2006...

Long live Harlan's dynasties.

Ah yes, Heelan is at the top of my list for teams that are dominant year in and year out. :eek:

rdubbs

Feb 12, 2009
Central Iowa
wasn't asking about Harlan and presumably, each of the teams you've mentioned had one good year.

You've got a lot of Harlan info there. How 'bout you run these numbers for me; Harlan's record vs. Bishop Heelan in baseball, football and basketball since 2006...

Long live Harlan's dynasties.

Let's check Sioux City's "dominance" in high school basketball the last few years shall we?

2008-Lost in quarterfinals (Harlan lost title game by 3)
2007-Lost in title game (Harlan got 3rd that year)
2006-Didn't qualify (Harlan won title)
2005-Neither qualified
2004-Didn't qualify (Harlan won title)

Let's check football now?

2008-Won title (Harlan beat in quarterfinals)
2007-Lost title game (Harlan beat in quarterfinals)
2006-Didn't make playoffs (Harlan lost in quarterfinals)
2005-Lost in quarterfinals (Harlan won title)
2004-Lost in quarterfinals (Harlan won title)

And now to baseball
2008-Didn't make state tourney (Harlan lost in title game)
2007-Neither made tournament
2006-Neither made tournament
2005-Won championship (Harlan lost in semifinals)
2004-Lost in Semifinals (lost in 1st round)

There ya go.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
Warning: Possible thread hijack...

P-P had nearly 30 games over a three year span where they scored over 100 points. I understand that they had at least three D1 players and were playing against the smallest schools in the state but how does a team put up that many points that often. Was skinner the type to not take his foot off the gas when the other team was down? Were their reserves so good that they put up big numbers during scrub time?

Often times, if a school scores 100 in high school they get accused of running up the score. How did they do it 15 times in one season without being vilified... Or were they?

Anyone able to shed some light on this? Thanks.

I went to some of those games, but I was too young to really pay much attention to some of those things. In the 87-88 season, their highest point total was 140 against Central Webster, and in one game against Aurelia, Troy and Brian went off for 56 and 55 points, respectively.

To attempt to answer your question, I think many teams/fans in the area did not care for Palmer, but since they were so small and so far from the "major" media outlets, no one really heard much about it. Obviously they were known at the state tournament, but the competition there was better, so the scores were more normal.

Palmer put a lot of emphasis on running teams off the floor and knocking down a ton of 3's. The "center" on those great teams, Jamie Peterson, probably shot a greater % from 3-land than most guards. Everyone on that team could knock it down from beyond the arc.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Let's check Sioux City's "dominance" in high school basketball the last few years shall we?

2008-Lost in quarterfinals (Harlan lost title game by 3)
2007-Lost in title game (Harlan got 3rd that year)
2006-Didn't qualify (Harlan won title)
2005-Neither qualified
2004-Didn't qualify (Harlan won title)

Let's check football now?

2008-Won title (Harlan beat in quarterfinals)
2007-Lost title game (Harlan beat in quarterfinals)
2006-Didn't make playoffs (Harlan lost in quarterfinals)
2005-Lost in quarterfinals (Harlan won title)
2004-Lost in quarterfinals (Harlan won title)

And now to baseball
2008-Didn't make state tourney (Harlan lost in title game)
2007-Neither made tournament
2006-Neither made tournament
2005-Won championship (Harlan lost in semifinals)
2004-Lost in Semifinals (lost in 1st round)

There ya go.

For never having stated that Heelan is dominant you sure seem bent on convincing me that they're not. This is a nice try but I asked about Harlan's record vs. Heelan since 2006. You seem to be cherry-picking performance while comparing teams that are in different classes and omitting regular season meetings.

I'm not sure if it is to diminish Heelan's acheivements or prop up Harlan's or both but obviously you have some ax to grind with the Crusaders which really makes me giggle since there are a couple coming down to Iowa City this year to play for the Hawkeye's. But they're just three and four star recruits, I mean, they're not Harlan grads.

rdubbs

Feb 12, 2009
Central Iowa
Did you miss the quotations I put around "dominance" that is tongue and cheek since you missed it. If you want me to tell you that Heelan has 2 football wins, a baseball and one basketball win, there ya go, if you'd like to look at a program's dynasty (as the thread is entitled) I provided that to show why Harlan has a much better dynasty than your silly Crusaders.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Did you miss the quotations I put around "dominance" that is tongue and cheek since you missed it. If you want me to tell you that Heelan has 2 football wins, a baseball and one basketball win, there ya go, if you'd like to look at a program's dynasty (as the thread is entitled) I provided that to show why Harlan has a much better dynasty than your silly Crusaders.[/quote]

I'm not sure how what you stated in the years you stated makes a case for a dynasty in Harlan or makes Harlan appear much better than Heelan. I guess you'll hate on Heelan no matter what. Enjoy.

liljones13

Mar 27, 2006
Springville, IA
You have to throw in Osage's Wrestling program in there somewhere.. Over 50 individual state champs, 2 Olympians, tons of collegiate wrestlers over the years. On top of it all, the Schwab Brothers, maybe the most successful group of brothers in wrestling history in the High School and Collegiate ranks...

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
You have to throw in Osage's Wrestling program in there somewhere.. Over 50 individual state champs, 2 Olympians, tons of collegiate wrestlers over the years. On top of it all, the Schwab Brothers, maybe the most successful group of brothers in wrestling history in the High School and Collegiate ranks...

Definitely. I mentioned this earlier in the thread. I think it got over looked because no one knows where the hell it is, lol...

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Osage wrestling has been very solid over the years. When Sports Illustrated (i think it was them) did an article about the State Wrestling tournament, they focused a lot on Osage.

Yes, they have finished in the top 2 in the state tourny 19 times!
they have over 50 individual state champions!

the emmetsburg e'hawks won state wrestling championships in 2000,'01,'02,'04,'05,'06

they have also been in the state championship football game 14 times! (7/7) head coach duane twait

GoSTATE71

May 19, 2008
Dowling Catholic football, make the state playoffs consistently and are always in the top 10

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Which school has not won a title in 100 years? Slight Cubs reference.

the osage football team has only won 1 playoff game in history

they've had some undefeated seasons and some darn good teams (i know that may be subjective but we seemed to lose to e'burg or NF each year first round) but our only win was in 1985

Cycofan1

Jan 12, 2009
Ankeny Girls Basketball. It was sweet. I'm from Ankeny. Nickey Wieben was on the 4 straight championship teams. Here's here thing from Cyclones.com

High School
Led Ankeny to four straight state championships, earning all-state tournament team honors each season ... captained the all-tournament squad as a sophomore and a junior ... compiled a 95-11 career record, including a 27-0 mark and a No. 2 national ranking by USA Today as a senior ... helped Hawkettes maintain a 66-game win streak against Iowa teams and a 44-game unbeaten streak overall ... earned all-state, all-district and all-conference honors all four years ... two-time Iowa Gatorade Player of the Year ... earned honorable mention All-American honors from Street & Smith’s twice ... closed out her career as the Hawkettes’ all-time leading scorer (1,362), rebounder (760) and shot blocker (241) ... set single-season marks for rebounds (223) and blocks (71) ... averaged double-digit scoring all four years ... started all but one contest of her 106-game career ... averaged 16.4 points and 6.9 rebounds as a senior ... invited to the Adidas Top 10 All-America Camp as a junior and senior ... named the Des Moines Register’s 2005 Female Athlete of the Year ... coached by Scott DeJong ... also an elite swimmer ... led Ankeny to four consecutive conference and district titles ... earned all-state honors 17 times ... 2001 state champ in the 400-yard freestyle relay ... won state titles in the 200-yard medley relay, 50-yard freestyle and 100-yard freestyle as a senior ... earned All-American consideration as a sophomore and a senior ... broke 16 school records ... lettered in track one season, winning the conference high jump title as a freshman ... member of the National Council on Youth Leadership as a senior ... senior class representative.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
I went to some of those games, but I was too young to really pay much attention to some of those things. In the 87-88 season, their highest point total was 140 against Central Webster, and in one game against Aurelia, Troy and Brian went off for 56 and 55 points, respectively.

To attempt to answer your question, I think many teams/fans in the area did not care for Palmer, but since they were so small and so far from the "major" media outlets, no one really heard much about it. Obviously they were known at the state tournament, but the competition there was better, so the scores were more normal.

Palmer put a lot of emphasis on running teams off the floor and knocking down a ton of 3's. The "center" on those great teams, Jamie Peterson, probably shot a greater % from 3-land than most guards. Everyone on that team could knock it down from beyond the arc.

Thanks for the input. Just seems that they must have ruffled some opposing coaches feathers by putting up those numbers.

gocy444

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008
Ames, IA
Roland-Story has had 2 state football championships and 11 playoff appearances since coach Van Winkle took over (he has over 250 wins) i'm not saying thats a dynasty but it's pretty good.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
If you want Dynastys team wise is one thing.... If you want great Coaches in the NATION who happen to reside in Iowa thats another. Larry Neidermeyer at Cedar Rapids Jefferson has won over 1000 games as a softball coach and around 900 as a Basketball coach. You want numbers you got them. You want influence on young peoples lives you got that too. You want Coaches that have bridged the Gap between "Old SChool" and todays tender don't hurt my feelings student athletes.... Larrys done that. Talk about a Dynasty and a machine.... and to think I live one block from their softball diamond and can't wait for it to warm up......

you beat me to it. except it's Niemeyer.

Last edited: