Who/What are Iowa's Best HS Sports Dynasties?

jakemcilroy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 26, 2006
Same thread....
17 posts on Hawkeye Nation
141 here

Sioux_Per_Cy

Mar 31, 2006
But its not like the Des Moines Christian school is turning away kids either. At least at the private school I went to, if you had the tuition you were in. So they would grow in population accordingly.

Many of the private schools offer "schoalrships for those who cannot afford the private school education. One private school booster commented to me that his high school would have a "scholarship" for a player that we were watching. Believe me, recruiting happens.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Many of the private schools offer "schoalrships for those who cannot afford the private school education. One private school booster commented to me that his high school would have a "scholarship" for a player that we were watching. Believe me, recruiting happens.
Well that's funny, because then my high school gave out a lot of "scholarships" to people who weren't athletes, and were dumber than a box of rocks. It's called "tuition assistance."

flander1649

Apr 20, 2006
Kansas City
Visit site
Looking back at it I think it was easier for Harlan to rack up wins because there was never a lot of good teams in 3A. A lot of the good 3A teams would get beat year in and year out by 2A teams. Some of the best played and heated games are probably out of 2A. Through the 90's and 2000's there have been a lot of very good 2A teams that would take turns beating each other. Teams like West Lyon, Solon, Emmettsburg, AP, Mount Vernon, Signourney-Keota and D-New Harford all won a number of state titles.

Piggypen6

Dec 12, 2008
Florence, AL
All this is a wonderful read for me, I grew up in Georgia and went to a "dynasty" high school when it came to football. We had 7 state titles and won 447 games. Now we are no longer a dynasty. They merged schools and now our team does not even exist. Kinda sucks. There is even a story about how back in 1975 how in the state final game, after allowing only 8 points all year, the refs flagged one of our linebackers for "hitting to hard". I am sad I will never be able to take my kids there. Georgia High School Football Historians Association. Recording the History of Georgia Football. GHSFHA.org
In case anyone cares to check up on the facts. I posted the link above. I played 1998-2000.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA

oh comeon... I was on "scholarship" then. Its free lunch and tuition deferrment / discount.

Its for people that want to go to private school but can't afford to. Kinda like the YMCA, they don't deny you based on ability to pay - but they make sure you prove it first.

rdubbs

Feb 12, 2009
Central Iowa
informative post

Well let me inform you a little on Harlan than

FOOTBALL
In 2003 they beat a Mount Vernon team who had two losses on the season
In 2004 they beat Decorah who had 1 loss on the year
In 2005 they beat West Delaware who had 2 losses

BASKETBALL
In 2003 they lost to Pella in the finals (Korver and Hibma were on this squad)
In 2004 they beat Crestwood (who had two losses) for the title
In 2006 they beat MOC-Floyd Valley (who had two losses) for the title

raftercy

Sep 6, 2006
Albia, IA
For those of us old enough to remember when girls six on six basketball was king in the state of Iowa, Mediapolis, coached by Bud McLaren, reached the state tournament something like 20 years in a row. This was before the schools were put in classes, which is a remarkable accomplishment.

Reactions: spanny

flander1649

Apr 20, 2006
Kansas City
Visit site

FOOTBALL

BASKETBALL

I was only talking football. I think Harlan has had great teams and is a Dynasty I just don't think that they had the competition in 3A for football that is in 2A. Some so called good 3A teams should not be getting beat by 50 by 2A teams which has happened a lot.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
The school is long dead, but Bancroft used to have a "Norway-like" baseball team. Not sure how many they won, but it was a lot.

Drizzle

Nov 9, 2007
I was only talking football. I think Harlan has had great teams and is a Dynasty I just don't think that they had the competition in 3A for football that is in 2A.

Decorah, Denison, Atlantic, Grinnell, sometimes Kuemper?? Those are just a few 3A FB teams off the top of my head.. I don't know if any of those teams have been beat by 2A schools.

Tweedt4Cy

Apr 14, 2007
Ankeny
Ankeny girls bball for sure...i didnt think they would be very good this yr but Dejong proved me wrong...won conference and now r in state again! He really knows how to coach and like someone else said, he is the bill f in hs girls bball! When they were winning there 4 in a row...i think that team was the best girls bball team ever in this state...ranked #2 in the nation at one point!

weR138

Feb 20, 2008

FOOTBALL

BASKETBALL

wasn't asking about Harlan and presumably, each of the teams you've mentioned had one good year.

You've got a lot of Harlan info there. How 'bout you run these numbers for me; Harlan's record vs. Bishop Heelan in baseball, football and basketball since 2006...

Long live Harlan's dynasties.