What strange foods do you like?

Big Daddy Kang

Mar 20, 2021
When I was a kid (60+ years ago) we always thought it was a treat when mom would crush saltines and pour boiling water on them till they were the consistency of thick oatmeal. Loved that then but don't recall having it since. Now I crush saltines in a bowl before adding soup. I like my soup thick enough for my spoon to stand up in it instead of all that liguids

Was it a hard knock life, for you?

• Haha
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

Lafaester54

Mar 18, 2011
Colorado/Wyoming
I’m kind of on a nostalgia roll here but…bananas and milk…graham crackers and milk (before Golden Grahams were around)..mustard sandwiches (we were lower middle class in Dubuque and Clinton)…salmon patties…..squirrel in many forms (kind of like the Turkey leftover recipes in A Christmas Story)…

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Snapping Turtle. My wife can make it "fall off the bone" tender. We've entertained groups of 6-8 a couple times (with snapper being the main course) with several of who were reluctant to try it but it went over really well.
When I was a kid, my brother went to a cookout at his friend's house, and they served snapping turtle stew. Apparently the kids complained that the meat was too tough, and refused to eat it. I guess the Dad got all bent out of shape, because nobody was eating it, and made a big deal about kids starving in Africa, as he fed the stew to their dogs. 5 minutes later, one of their dogs was dead, having choked on the turtle meat.

My brother said it was super awkward.

JohnnyAppleseed

Nov 30, 2008
I grew up having peanut butter and pickle sandwiches. I used to take them all the time for road games/meets pre-game snack. The pickles were more of a sweet pickle - lime pickles my mom used to make.

Wife always eats grape jelly on her chicken and dumplings. But of course she doesn't put he gravy or chicken on the dumplings but eats them separately. Now she has corrupted my kids into doing the same thing.
My grandparents would always make us peanut butter and pickle-relish sandwiches. Sweet relish preferred, dill works in a pinch. Still eat them today when I'm in a rush for lunch or craving a sweet/salty combination.

cydnote

Oct 24, 2023
It probably actually was, but I never new it at the time.
Young farm family with 6 kids. We had a large garden and (mostly as a family) put upwards of 6-800 quarts of food per year between canning from the garden and freezing sweetcorn raised on a field edge (planted with the farm equipment). We also sold the excess mostly to a grocery store. Fun going out and picking 100 dozen a morning and having it in town by 7:00 AM. One year we raised 1200 broilers and dressed, cutup and packaged 800 of them ourselves before taking the remainder to a commercial outfit because of time constraints. Imagine starting every morning around 6:30 and doing around 40-50 per day. Sold the excess of those also.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Young farm family with 6 kids. We had a large garden and (mostly as a family) put upwards of 6-800 quarts of food per year between canning from the garden and freezing sweetcorn raised on a field edge (planted with the farm equipment). We also sold the excess mostly to a grocery store. Fun going out and picking 100 dozen a morning and having it in town by 7:00 AM. One year we raised 1200 broilers and dressed, cutup and packaged 800 of them ourselves before taking the remainder to a commercial outfit because of time constraints. Imagine starting every morning around 6:30 and doing around 40-50 per day. Sold the excess of those also.
I remember my aunt and uncle getting a big sweet corn cooking rig set up for a whole day's worth of cooking and canning. They had a boil station set up in the corn crib, with a burner and large kettle, then a station for cutting the cooked corn from the cob, and another for bagging and storage before we took it to the locker.

The first batch went fine. But the second batch was interrupted when the steam from the boiling water altered the integrity of a bird's nest that was in the rafters, causing the entire nest as well as the baby bird contents to fall into the kettle of corn.

My aunt screamed bloody murder and started retching at the sight of it. She refused to participate after that.

Big Daddy Kang

Mar 20, 2021
"Running around like a chicken with its head caught off" isn't all euphemism.

'

cydnote

Oct 24, 2023
I remember my aunt and uncle getting a big sweet corn cooking rig set up for a whole day's worth of cooking and canning. They had a boil station set up in the corn crib, with a burner and large kettle, then a station for cutting the cooked corn from the cob, and another for bagging and storage before we took it to the locker.

The first batch went fine. But the second batch was interrupted when the steam from the boiling water altered the integrity of a bird's nest that was in the rafters, causing the entire nest as well as the baby bird contents to fall into the kettle of corn.

My aunt screamed bloody murder and started retching at the sight of it. She refused to participate after that.
I've heard of some Asian cultures eating eggs that were near ready to hatch, but I've never heard of baby birds and corn. Any good?

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
peanut butter and pickle sandwich (miracle whip and lettuce optional).

I grew up having peanut butter and pickle sandwiches. I used to take them all the time for road games/meets pre-game snack. The pickles were more of a sweet pickle - lime pickles my mom used to make.

Wife always eats grape jelly on her chicken and dumplings. But of course she doesn't put he gravy or chicken on the dumplings but eats them separately. Now she has corrupted my kids into doing the same thing.

PB and Pickle FTW! Has to be the cheap, hamburger slices for me. Not the kosher, which are generally better, but not with peanut butter

Reactions: VeloClone

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
No clue if these fall in the weird category or not.

Peanut butter on pancakes and it is even better on waffles. Maple syrup and PB were made for each other.

I love a grilled cheese sandwich with cold pork n beans to dip the sandwich into.

My Polish wife's family makes the equivalent of bacon fat on bread. They of course have a name for it, but that is what it actually is. Obviously pretty tasty, but the first time I saw someone smearing bacon fat on bread it made my head spin.

Reactions: 4theCYcle

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
As a kid, 60 yrs ago.
Using bacon grease for popcorn.
Radish sandwich’s
Sugar sandwiches (I was in heaven when Mt Dew came around to our area)
Beef tongue / liver - super nutritious
Pigeon
I refused head cheese - oh hell no - right up there with lutefisk and borscht.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
What are some strange foods (or combination of food) that you like to eat that others find strange?

Here are two of mine:

1. I like to put Grape Jelly on my grilled cheese sandwich

2. At Subway, my favorite sandwich is Tuna with Avacado, Honey Mustard and an Egg
I'm not a good judge of what is "weird food", but both of those seem normal to me.

15-20 years ago my wife and I saw a Food Network show by Alton Brown about how you can put any type of jelly with any type of cheese in a grilled cheese and it's awesome - and he was right. We've done that ever since.

Reactions: HoopsTournament

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I like coconut waaaaaaay more than most people. I'm basically like Bubba from Forest Gump except coconut instead of shrimp.

Coconut...
pie
cake
milk
water
soap
ice cream
candy
cookies
cooking oil

last week i got scrach pads to do dishes made out of coconut that smell like coconut

Reactions: NWICY