What I know about the Prohm/Alabama speculation...

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
He had something up within the past hour. He's obsessive about running down the programs by putting doubt in recruit's minds about the long-term tenure of our coaches. He'll probably start writing articles about Dresser going to some other school. Hok doosh. He's still sore about getting his leg broken.

Randy does not protect the Iowa State brand

Pull his credentials and ban him from the 1,813 acres in Ames!

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
I’m willing to bet that he has more than random Twitter rumors.

He literally saw tweets from people speculating that Prohm would be a candidate for Alabama.

His "story" suggests that Prohm is a leading candidate. Those tweets suggest Prohm would be "a target". In my eyes, leading candidate and target are two different things.

From Randy's "story":
Multiple national reports link the successful Iowa State coach to his alma mater — after Alabama administrators and current coach Avery Johnson negotiate a buyout.

That link leads to a CBS story where Prohm is briefly mentioned:
"Steve Prohm's name will buzz for that Alabama job (he's an alumnus and highly qualified for the gig), even as his Iowa State team plays in the NCAA Tournament. From there, questions about ISU will surface. If Prohm were to leave, well, Fred Hoiberg returning home would make for one heck of a story. (Hoiberg has also reportedly been connected to the Nebraska job.)"

Randy makes it sound like Prohm is leading to get that job where as that CBS article simplly states Prohms name will "buzz"

Randy is digging way down deep for a shi* story and will think he looks good when he gets a lot of replys/retweet and clicks.

Terrible Journalism. Randy could have made it much better by changing the headline even. But with a title like " Reports: Iowa State's Steve Prohm is a leading candidate to replace Avery Johnson at Alabama" he's simply going for attention. Its terrible and he's always done it.

His headline is completely off basis with what is actually being said out there.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
He literally saw tweets from people speculating that Prohm would be a candidate for Alabama.

His "story" suggests that Prohm is a leading candidate. Those tweets suggest Prohm would be "a target". In my eyes, leading candidate and target are two different things.

From Randy's "story":
Multiple national reports link the successful Iowa State coach to his alma mater — after Alabama administrators and current coach Avery Johnson negotiate a buyout.

That link leads to a CBS story where Prohm is briefly mentioned:
"Steve Prohm's name will buzz for that Alabama job (he's an alumnus and highly qualified for the gig), even as his Iowa State team plays in the NCAA Tournament. From there, questions about ISU will surface. If Prohm were to leave, well, Fred Hoiberg returning home would make for one heck of a story. (Hoiberg has also reportedly been connected to the Nebraska job.)"

Randy makes it sound like Prohm is leading to get that job where as that CBS article simplly states Prohms name will "buzz"

Randy is digging way down deep for a shi* story and will think he looks good when he gets a lot of replys/retweet and clicks.

Terrible Journalism. Randy could have made it much better by changing the headline even. But with a title like " Reports: Iowa State's Steve Prohm is a leading candidate to replace Avery Johnson at Alabama" he's simply going for attention. Its terrible and he's always done it.

His headline is completely off basis with what is actually being said out there.

Wait CBS said he was qualified for the job?

Impossible.

Don’t they know he’s single handedly dragging Iowa State back to their basketball dark days. I mean if he stays the Ken Trickey era will be considered the good ol days.

• Funny
Reactions: ZB4CY

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Can you clarify this a bit please?

She's very pregnant. What is there to clarify?

She does deserve a reward for having 3 kids right in the middle of March/April though. It can't be easy to be pregnant in the middle of all of this.

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
If the contract type didn’t change anything, it didn’t mean anything in regards to CMC. But it could have saved us some money.
Imo coaches aren’t going to see a big difference firing a coach after 6 years or 7 years. Hypothetically, if we’re in a bidding war, I’d rather give Prohm more per year than trying to get a discounted rate due to length. But if Bama really wanted him, we’d likely have to add significant length to the deal.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. I think Iowa State and JP have a really good reputation supporting they're coaches long-term. I'd hate to see them change course and try to go with short-term contracts to save some cash. My observation is if you have employees in high pressure positions, you make a commitment to them. You may have to fire them if it goes bad but it goes a long ways to not losing those that turn into stars.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017

She does deserve a reward for having 3 kids right in the middle of March/April though. It can't be easy to be pregnant in the middle of all of this.

Ummm. Calm down.

Read what they wrote. Now, what is he talking about. His wife is very pregnant, what does it have to do with what?

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO

Dear Coach and Wife:

It's no secret how long pregnancies take. And we know what happens to good basketball teams in March. Try a little better timing in the future.

xd5zx3.png
(sorta)

• Funny
Reactions: aauummm

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I'm just thinking of all the pregnant women I know and how little they'd be interested in moving like 1000 miles

it depends on whether she wants out of Ames.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
We'll just have to agree to disagree. I think Iowa State and JP have a really good reputation supporting they're coaches long-term. I'd hate to see them change course and try to go with short-term contracts to save some cash. My observation is if you have employees in high pressure positions, you make a commitment to them. You may have to fire them if it goes bad but it goes a long ways to not losing those that turn into stars.
Less per year more (but more years) isn’t necessarily more of a commitment to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.