What I know about the Prohm/Alabama speculation...

Status
Not open for further replies.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I don't think after tonight, and how disappointing this team finished the regular season, that JP has to give Prohm any more $ right now. If he doesn't like what he's making now, then don't let the door hit you on the way out.

jpete24

Wearing nut cup since 2002
SuperFanatic
Mar 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
It’s hard not to look at it for face value right now:
Year 1 - Hoiberg’s guys, under achieved but best you could do for what you stepped into
Year 2 - Hoiberg’s guys - I’d say met expectations considering how Morris is doin now in the NBA
Year 3 - Year we expected. Probably would have happened with or without Hoiberg to be completely fair.
Year 4 - All Prohm’s guys, loads of talent and potential, poor execution. Can’t say some of this isn’t on coach.

I think it’s understandable to see why folks are critical at this point.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I don't think after tonight, and how disappointing this team finished the regular season, that JP has to give Prohm any more $ right now. If he doesn't like what he's making now, then don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Yeah the people who had been talking about giving him a raise were full of it. Our current approach this offseason is status quo. If he leaves fine but he saved his job with the Big 12 tournament.

• Agree
Reactions: socalcy

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
This team didn’t need an overhaul, more of a fine-tuning.

On one hand, unfortunately there’s likely to be a lot of turnover, and this roster likely had better material than next year.

On the other, some of our issues may be remedied by Coach Prohm having a different group. He failed to get these guys to consistently play good situational basketball, but maybe that’s better with a different team.

Get a great assistant like Beilein did, and we’ll be alright.
I just don’t think Prohm is that next step. He’s a good guy but I think we need to take the next step and move past him. Hoiberg, in my opinion, has a bigger upside than Prohm, who has plateau’d this program. Do I think Prohm sucks? Of course not? Do I think Prohm is solid? Sure. Do I think he’s upper tier? No. We need to take the next step and I just think we need to go back to Hoiball to move up or we are stuck at this level.

• Agree
Reactions: cdfree

cdfree

Sep 5, 2011
Evanston, IL
To add, stats on that:

Dg04hO7.png

Hoiberg still looks slightly better overall, imo, but as we can see we could do a lot worse.

Prohm took over a program that Hoiberg had built into one that had at least somewhat of a national profile. Half (and probably more) current D-1 coaches could have done as well or better. He’s just a guy. Decent recruiter on paper; well below average coach.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Prohm took over a program that Hoiberg had built into one that had at least somewhat of a national profile. Half (and probably more) current D-1 coaches could have done as well or better. He’s just a guy. Decent recruiter on paper; well below average coach.

Prohm also took over a program that fred left with a massive hole in recruiting.

Is he perfect? No. Could things get a loooot worse? Yep.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Prohm also took over a program that fred left with a massive hole in recruiting.

Feels like a bunch of people are leaving no room for nuance. There's a lot of space in between "Prohm is terrible and I want him gone now" and "Prohm is amazing and has done incredible things."

I think he has done a decent job, on the whole, over these past four years. He inherited an unusual situation. The NCAAT results aren't what you want; the B12T results are better than you would expect; the regular season results are mostly fine and maybe a bit below your hopes (but not by a ton).

I think 19-20 will be a big season for him - if it is a disappointment, he could be on the hot seat in 20-21. This sport is all about March and Prohm has, unfortunately, not been great there. His best NCAAT win is over a 12 seed.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I just don’t think Prohm is that next step. He’s a good guy but I think we need to take the next step and move past him. Hoiberg, in my opinion, has a bigger upside than Prohm, who has plateau’d this program. Do I think Prohm sucks? Of course not? Do I think Prohm is solid? Sure. Do I think he’s upper tier? No. We need to take the next step and I just think we need to go back to Hoiball to move up or we are stuck at this level.
Well, I’d argue our peak has suggested it can be a high ceiling, we just need to hit it more often.

We’re talking about a handful of possessions changing a handful of games. Yeah, coaching can make the difference, but it’s still a small difference. Look at Michigan and Beilein. They used to be a niche, finesse offensive team. Now with Yaklich they’re one of the elite defensive teams.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Feels like a bunch of people are leaving no room for nuance. There's a lot of space in between "Prohm is terrible and I want him gone now" and "Prohm is amazing and has done incredible things."
Absolutely. If you want to actually try to have a discussion on the positives and negatives, you often get hit from both sides

And hasn't won a tournament game since Fred's guys left

He's had one season that he could really be judged on since fred's guys left, this one. Last year was the inevitable mess from Fred's lack of recruiting. Lets see how things turn out next year.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I hope Prohm stays. what would Iowa State do without a coach who has only beat a 12 and 13 seed while at ISU?

So you're saying that of the 3 tourney appearance, ISU was the higher ranked/rated team and beat the team we were supposed to 2 of 3? I must be missing something...

Final42b

Jan 4, 2009
Ames
I’m ok with giving him another year, but if he loses Lindell, THT, and lard things could get pretty brutal next year

• Agree
Reactions: madguy30

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017

A hole three seasons out is pretty standard in college basketball. And Prohm didn’t mitigate that hole, more that he made that hole bigger by chasing bad transfers.

But that’s largely a sunk cost at this point, and probably isn’t terribly informative in regards of future success.

• Agree
Reactions: sadam

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
So you're saying that of the 3 tourney appearance, ISU was the higher ranked/rated team and beat the team we were supposed to 2 of 3? I must be missing something...

Unfortunately you get judged on small sample sizes in March. Prohm's teams have handled 12/13 seeds but went 0-3 against #1 Virginia, #4 Purdue and now #11 Ohio State. That is just a fact and you can decide how much it matters to you.

SwirlyBird

Aug 2, 2015
I’m ok with giving him another year, but if he loses Lindell, THT, and lard things could get pretty brutal next year
I'm ok with the coach but if he loses all if his players, things might get a little hairy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron