What are your favorite "Iowa" sayings...

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Not a saying per se, but still Iowa bred:
Kum & Go

First time I came across the Campustown convenience store, I thought "Wait, that can't be right, can it?"

Try 'splainin that one to out-of-staters....

If you think that's good, there's a c-store in Rochester, Minnesota called - no kidding - Pump 'n' Munch. Cracks me up every time I drive by it.

• Funny
Reactions: stateofmind

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
"And things"

I hear it mostly in NE IA, but a lot of people add that to the end of statements as a weird place filler that doesn't really mean anything. I've met people who say it almost constantly.

"The 1086 broke down last week, so I drug it into town to get worked on, and things."

"Your grandma is in the hospital so we're going to bring her a casserole and things."

"They're voting on consolidating the school. That's going to hurt business in town and things."

Reactions: cyclones500

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
"And things"

I hear it mostly in NE IA, but a lot of people add that to the end of statements as a weird place filler that doesn't really mean anything. I've met people who say it almost constantly.

"The 1086 broke down last week, so I drug it into town to get worked on, and things."

"Your grandma is in the hospital so we're going to bring her a casserole and things."

"They're voting on consolidating the school. That's going to hurt business in town and things."

Of course adding an "s" to every store.

Going to Wal-Marts. Getting dinner at HuHots.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
If you think that's good, there's a c-store in Rochester, Minnesota called - no kidding - Pump 'n' Munch. Cracks me up every time I drive by it.

There is, or at least used to be, a local convenience store named Junk 'n' Juice. Not sure where in Iowa it was located, a sister told me about it.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
This weekend at the in-law's I heard a new one and not sure if it's an Iowa thing.

"I could eat anything that isn't nailed down" for saying you are really hungry

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Grandma also said "par-ME-ze-en" cheese instead of "PAR-muh-zhan", not sure if that is a thing or just my gramma.
It's not just your grandma. I almost added that to my MIL's words - even started typing it - but left it off because it just felt like I was piling on. I think she actually pronounces it par-ME-ze-yen though.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
"Hello, Mrs. Cleaver. I was just telling young Theodore here how to avoid initiating contact with academic authority figures."

One of my favorite bits on that show was when Beaver's nemesis, 'Creepy' Judy Hensler hands Miss Landers a list as she returns to the classroom. Creepy Judy informs Miss Landers, "This is a list of all the children who were talking while you were out of the room." Miss Landers says, "Thank you, Judy," then proceeds to wad it up and toss it in the trash.

Edit: Evidently Miss Landers preferred Newport cigarettes.

Last edited:

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Our 3rd grade elementary school teacher read us the whole book, Mary Poppins, a chapter at a time after lunch. In every case she pronounced it Popkins. Even as a little kid I knew that was messed up.

Also had a step grandfather who, when referring to the founder of KFC, called him Colonel Saunders. He also thought the plural of 'mile' was mowl. "How many mowl is it from here to Ames?" He was from Pittsburgh so...

Mowl as the plural of mile...I like it. So much easier to get off the tongue that miles.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Just noticed today. A(n Iowa raised) friend of mine says "sweeper" instead of vacuum cleaner. For us a sweeper was the little non-motorized dealy with the brushes. Anything with a motor was a vacuum cleaner.

Also consistently calls them 'toasted cheese' instead of 'grilled cheese' sandwiches.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Just noticed today. A(n Iowa raised) friend of mine says "sweeper" instead of vacuum cleaner. For us a sweeper was the little non-motorized dealy with the brushes. Anything with a motor was a vacuum cleaner.

Also consistently calls them 'toasted cheese' instead of 'grilled cheese' sandwiches.

Sweeper is a good one. I'd forgotten about hearing my mom say that. And davenport rather than couch. "Get your feet off of the davenport!"

A couple of others I was reminded of over the weekend, and often used together:
1) "You don't say!"
2) "How about that!"

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron